Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #891
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Setting aside the issue of what parts of the Bible religious people choose to adhere to, and which they choose to ignore, (and only setting this aside b/c discussing religion is wildly unproductive)...

The end of the foreskin that you are removing in your type of circumcision is the most important part. It has the ridged band and dartos muscle. The dartos muscle keeps the tip of the foreskin closed. This is important for babies, as this is the seal that protects the developing glans from infection from feces, etc. In adults, the action of the ridged band against the corona is what mediates most of the sexual sensation during intercourse, and what gives the man the sense of where he is in relation to orgasm.

Mother Nature/God/Evolution (whatever you prefer to call it) did not design the foreskin with any extra parts. In the past 5-6 million years, the human foreskin has actually got more complicated in its design, not less. All of it is important. Yes, you can live without it. You can live without a lot of body parts, in fact, but that doesn't make it right.

An adult man may decide that he thinks that part of the Old Testament are really important, and parts of the New Testament are not important, and thus want to be circumcised just a little bit, or totally, and that's his right. The thing is, there is a great chance that your kids may not agree with your decision and they may not follow your religion. We do not own our children. We are entrusted with their care, but we do not own them. If religious circumcision is so wonderful, then it will continue among adults who can make the choice for themselves.

Advertisement

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #892
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasures From Elf View Post
They do a topical an hour before hand and then they only do the tip and numb it with a strong anesthetic. The Biblical circ takes under a minute including the strapping or holding down.
Call it Jewish or Israelite circumcision if you must- polygamy was also allowed in the Bible for a while, but Jesus made it clear that that lifestyle was NOT for Christians. The requirement for circumcision was abolished after Jesus' sacrifice and no longer required. I can't personally understand why so many people cling to that part of the Mosaic Law ( I don't even understand why Jewish Christians in the first century were so upset about it- who goes around looking at people's foreskins?!), when there were lots of other parts that no one cares about- Do you make them wear a blue fringed garment constantly also? Or make a sin offering on the altar every few days?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #893
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516

Call it Jewish or Israelite circumcision if you must- polygamy was also allowed in the Bible for a while, but Jesus made it clear that that lifestyle was NOT for Christians. The requirement for circumcision was abolished after Jesus' sacrifice and no longer required. I can't personally understand why so many people cling to that part of the Mosaic Law ( I don't even understand why Jewish Christians in the first century were so upset about it- who goes around looking at people's foreskins?!), when there were lots of other parts that no one cares about- Do you make them wear a blue fringed garment constantly also? Or make a sin offering on the altar every few days?
I know this is off topic but I don't remember anything in the new testament about multiple wives if you have an example I'm very interested.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using DS Forum
Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #894
Treasures From Elf
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I will call it what I want. It is in the Bible. Circumcision was decided by God. It is a Biblical Circumcision. You are making assumptions as to what I mean by Biblical. Biblical just means it is in the Bible, it doesn't say where or anything else. I'm sure that most people know how to use google and a concordance to find out exactly what the Bible says for themselves.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #895
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasures From Elf View Post
I will call it what I want. It is in the Bible. Circumcision was decided by God. It is a Biblical Circumcision. You are making assumptions as to what I mean by Biblical. Biblical just means it is in the Bible, it doesn't say where or anything else. I'm sure that most people know how to use google and a concordance to find out exactly what the Bible says for themselves.
Paul spoke out AGAINST circs. It is in the Bible to NOT preform RIC's.

He only circed Timothy so that he could proselytize in Jewish neighborhoods. Otherwise He was firmly against it.

Lots of old testament laws and customs are not followed today because they are no longer necessary. Being "in the Bible" is not a reason alone for anything.
Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #896
emilyrebekah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Paul was criticizing the Judaizers, who believed that a Gentile had to become Jewish proselytes before salvation. Judaizers thought circumcision was a work for salvation. Paul was crying out against THAT teaching. He was saying salvation isn't about circumcision, nationality, or man's works, it's only of Christ and free to Jew and Gentile alike. I don't want to jump into a debate about whether I will or will not circ my son, what happens to his penis is my family's business, but OP took the verse she used to say Paul was against circumcision out of context. It is less about whether or not to circ, and more about the intent of circ and why it's ultimately a hollow work if you think it helps you obtain God's favor.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #897
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyrebekah View Post
I don't want to jump into a debate about whether I will or will not circ my son, what happens to his penis is my family's business,
Will the family urinate from it? Will the family have sex with it? What else does the family plan to do with his penis? How, exactly, does it belong to the family, except that the decision will affect members of the family's ego or preconceived ideas?

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #898
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

The reason I take issue with calling it Biblical circumcision is that using the term Biblical implies that you are taking the entirety of the Bible into account. If you feel that Christianity dictates doing what you call a Biblical circumcision, then you are not looking at the entirety of the Bible, but rather Old Testament Jewish law.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #899
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
The reason I take issue with calling it Biblical circumcision is that using the term Biblical implies that you are taking the entirety of the Bible into account. If you feel that Christianity dictates doing what you call a Biblical circumcision, then you are not looking at the entirety of the Bible, but rather Old Testament Jewish law.

If the poster decides to do a circ then that is her right but throwing around her opinion that it is "Biblical" to do so, is quite frankly, silly and untrue. Cherry picking out of the Bible what suits your opinion is clearly not Christian and shows a stark misunderstanding of God's Word.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #900
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurkeyp View Post

If the poster decides to do a circ then that is her right but throwing around her opinion that it is "Biblical" to do so, is quite frankly, silly and untrue. Cherry picking out of the Bible what suits your opinion is clearly not Christian and shows a stark misunderstanding of God's Word.
Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote