Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
pearryandbellasmama
Registered Users
Formerly: pearrysmama
seller

The amazing breech homebirth of our beautiful Isabella Rose.. long!

I apologize for the length of this. I've only written this, for her memory book, and haven't really had a chance to rewrite or condense it, so please bear with me .

The amazing, miraculous birth of Isabella Rose.

Now that I've had time to process everything that happened at your birth, I've decided to write your miraculous story down, in the hopes that one day, you will read this and gain a better understanding of how precious your life is to us and what a miracle you are. And what a fighter you are!
From even before you were conceived, I had made up my mind that a homebirth was our best option for delivery. I had done all my research and knew in my heart that this is what I wanted for us. I came to your father with the idea and initially, he was very skeptical, but once we met with our midwife, A., he (we both) loved her and after praying about it, we knew that she was going to be our midwife.

My pregnancy with you was pretty uneventful. It was an easy pregnancy; I felt great the entire time. Towards the end, I had been having some prodromal labor, perhaps about a week and a half or so. A week before your estimated due date/ and the day you were born, we had an appt. with A. Daddy took the day off and we drove to see her. As it turned out A. was at the hospital with her daughter, and C, another midwife in the practice saw me. She checked me and I was 1 cm dilated, and about 50 % effaced. We didn't check your position. We made an appt for the next Wednesday, in case you didn't show up by then.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. There was a reason that A wasn't there that day. There was a reason that we didn't check your position that day, as we had every other single visit. Your grandma came up Saturday night to help out. After a few days of her being here, she thinks that I'll go into labor Friday as it would be a full moon. I felt the same way. Well, God had other plans.

Early Wednesday morning (my guess date), around 4 am, I awoke to use the bathroom. I was feeling slightly crampy, but thought little of it. I laid back down and felt a contraction. It wasn't painful and again, I thought little of it. About 15 minutes later, I felt another one and decided that maybe I should time them. For about an hour, they were about 12 to 15 minutes apart or so and lasting from 30 to 90 seconds. I knew today was the day, today would be the day you were going to make your presence known to the world. When your dad woke up at 5 to start getting ready for work, I told him that he won't be going into work today. I don't think he really believed me as I had said that a few times before. But he usually went along with me and did yet again. I got up and sat on my birthing ball at the computer and started timing them. They were sporadic until around 6 when they became somewhat regular. They started coming on at about 5-8 minutes apart or so and lasting around a minute long. We decided that it was time to call A. and let her know what was going on. They were not intense as yet and I could still talk through them a little. As today was prenatal day in Charlotte for her, she said that she would start getting everything ready and leave in about 45 minutes. I sounded fine and we thought that we had lots of time yet. To be perfectly honest, I didn't think that I was far along at all. Daddy started preparing everything according to an instruction list I had written for him. Around 6:30, for some reason, I felt that we needed to start filling the birthing pool. I had to start concentrating through the contractions, but they were still not truly intense. I didn't feel the need to moan or vocalize through them. I simply rocked back and forth on the ball. After each contraction, I would walk around, doing something, and when I felt one coming on, I'd kneel and rock against whatever was closest, the glider, or the ball. I actually remember your brother doing some silly things and I was laughing through a few of the contractions. Around 7:45 or closer to 8:00, I was working my way through a contraction kneeling against the birthing ball and towards the end of it I felt a slight pop and warm liquid. "I think my water just broke, call A and let her know" I said. Daddy did and I waddled to the bathroom to make sure that it was indeed water. He came in and was on the phone with her. I let him know that yes it was my water. A. wanted to know if it was clear and it was, with a slight bloody tinge. She said that that was fine and normal. I came out the bathroom and a really, really intense contraction hit me. I knelt down and moaned my way through it. Then I crawled my way to the pool and somehow managed to climb in. I had stripped my bottoms off while in the bathroom and had only a t- shirt on. It seemed that the contractions were on top of each other and dear God were they intense.

Throughout my pregnancy, I had imagined my labor peaceful and that I was quiet and somewhat calm through it all. I had written a list of birth affirmations to help me through the labor and your daddy brought it to me. I slapped it away. Things were going to fast and there wasn't any way I could sit and read and concentrate on a piece of paper. What was he thinking?

There was no way that serenity and peace was happening. I felt like vocalizing loudly at times and there was nothing to stop me. I can't even begin to describe how I felt. I remember thinking, what am I doing? I must be crazy for thinking I could do this! I was so aware of everything, yet I was in my own little world. I knew that daddy was on the phone with A. Apparently, there was a lot of traffic on 77, near exit 36 where there was some construction going on. He said "A., you need to get here. Drive on the side of the road" Lol. And she did. She had been hearing me over the phone and knew that you were coming very, very soon.

Anyway, the moment I got into the water, I felt the need to push. At first I don't think I realized it, but after feeling something pressing down, I realized, my body was indeed pushing. After about 10 minutes of this, I managed to yell out and let them know, I'm pushing, I'm pushing. Your poor daddy looked lost in translation. I was clinging onto the handles on the side of the pool while vocalizing, and crying "Help me God, help me God!" I knew that I needed to bring my pitch down to a lower octave and couldn't find it in me to do it, until I heard your daddy telling me to do it. Vocalizing lower helped tremendously. A. was giving him instructions over the phone. She told him to get ahold of B., a midwife/ doula in training who lives about 10 minutes from us. He's on the phone with them both, telling B. to get here and A. is giving him instructions on what to do. He's coaching me through it all, (he was absolutely amazing, btw) telling me to breathe, breathe in between the contractions and I am just pushing and pushing. There was no stopping your coming. And I was just doing what my body was telling me to do. At times, the pushing actually felt somewhat pleasurable, and then I felt something burning. I reached down and felt you. I was so freaked out, I pulled my hand away.

And then, a moment later, I felt a peace take control over me. I knew God was with me, He was with us the whole time. B. ran in the room, and the moment she came in, I gave a mighty push and something was out. She yelled, "the baby's breech". It was your body and your were in a frank breech position. And I had just pushed you out of me. I don't think it registered to me, until much later on, that it was just your daddy and myself in the room the entire time, and I had just pushed you out. B. instructed me to get out of the pool and just like I somehow managed to get in, I somehow managed to get out. B. was holding you while i climbed out. A. had just arrived and ran in, followed by another midwife in the practice, V.

They delivered your head, amidst some chaos. Your head had deflected due to my position in the pool and A. needed to reach inside while pushing against my pelvis to bring your chin down and out to deliver you. I didn't hear it but apparently the pop when your head came down could be heard in the entire room. They delivered you and you were barely breathing. Your heartbeat was perfect though. It was the longest minute of my life but, A. resucitated you and suctioned you off and you pinked up immediately and gave a beautiful cry, to let the whole world know you were born. Then you just laid next to me and quietly took in your surroundings as A. cleaned you off.

You were beautiful, you are beautiful. God was with us through it all. He gave us you, this beautiful miracle and your life is so precious to us.

Looking back on it all, we know there's a reason for everything. There was a reason that A. wasn't there at our last prenatal and C. didn't check position. There was a reason I didn't make it to my 40 week prenatal. Had A. checked me either time, she would have found you were breech and asked what we wanted to do. She said that she would have delivered you, but in retrospect, your daddy would have felt it was better to deliver at a hospital. And I know that it's highly probable that I would have ended up having a C- section, something I honestly did not want, unless my life and/or yours depended on it.

Your birth truly was a miracle. Everything happened at exactly the right time and moment. God really is mindful of us all. You are absolutely perfect and we are so blessed to have you in our lives.

______

I just wanted to add a few details. I got just a slight nick due to how fast she came but needed no stitches. It's been an amazing time, and we feel so blessed. And apparently, my guess date may have been off. We guessed about 41 1/2 weeks.
She was 7 lbs even and 19 1/2 in long. And born at 8:35 am, Wednesday 10th Dec.

Thanks for reading her story

just born

with proud big brother

Advertisement

Last edited by pearryandbellasmama; 07-02-2011 at 08:21 AM.
pearryandbellasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The amazing breech homebirth of our beautiful Isabella Rose.. long!

what a lovely story...and not too long at all!

good job, momma!
Old 12-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on your breech! She is beautiful! My breech story is in my siggy
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
mommyshannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's such a beautiful story, and she is gorgeous!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats!! I love reading breech homebirth stories!!! You did a great job mama!!

eta- How much did she weigh??
Old 12-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What an amazing birth story!! CONGRATS, shes gorgeous! BIG pat on the back to you!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what an amazing birth
Old 12-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
pearryandbellasmama
Registered Users
Formerly: pearrysmama
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Congrats!! I love reading breech homebirth stories!!! You did a great job mama!!

eta- How much did she weigh??
I guess I should have left stats huh?

7 lbs even, 19 1/2 inches long
Old 12-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
mama2chase
Registered Users

omg, that is a fabulous birth story! I feel i can relate so much, the intensity, the luck, God's presence...

and man, is she beautiful!!!!

congrats!
mama2chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
shad1radog
Registered Users
seller

Congrats!!! What a wonderful story, thanks for sharing! She is gorgeous, too
Megan - Surrounded by boys! Wife to Alberto and Mommy to: Ethan (2.26.06), Joseph (10.1.07), Jeremiah (6.21.09) and Tito (1.7.12) Forever remembering my girls, MoMo twins, Stephanie and Kinsay (1.25.11)
shad1radog is offline   Reply With Quote