Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
crydparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How much longer do I pump at work?

Ok mamas...I am pumping twice a day at work...I have a good bit of milk in the freezer and a friend suggested that I stop pumping at work and give her the frozen. DD is 10 mos. nxt week. Just wanted to see what yall thought. I plan on still nursing her when I get home. Just wondering if I will adjust and still have enough for her when I get home.

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How much longer do I pump at work?

Well, have you tried giving the frozen to your dc yet? my DC hated the frozen- freezing it changes the flavor and texture so she would always refuse it. I finally stopped freezing it b/c we never used it. You could donate it though. . . we couldn't b/c I only had about 150 oz and the donation center near me required 300 oz minimum.
SO, you may want to keep pumping for the next two months then around a year just nurse her at nights.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

I stopped pumping at work at 12 months with both of my girls. With Maia it was in Nov. so she transitioned to cow's milk at the sitters. We would nurse before work, right after work and bedtime (and sometimes during the night, you know how that goes) on the weekends I would just nurse on demand. She would get smaller quantities more often but she was happy. With Sage I had enough expressed milk to last until the end of the school year, about 3 weeks after her first bday. we nursed on demand all summer and tried to start cow's milk when school started again but she is intollerant to it (though no problems with cheese or yogurt) So she gets rice milk and keifer at the sitters and she nurses about 3-4 times a day on work days. On the weekend we demand nurse, again she gets smaller quantities but she seems to be okay with it. Your body will adjust Though I would keep it up until a year because it could affect your supply on the weekends and with her being younger she may need a supplement
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pumped at work up to a year for both DS. But I still BF at home and at night longer than that
Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
crydparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas. That is what I thought I needed to do...I think my friend had supply issues too and that is why she quit pumping at work. I am going to keep at it for 2 more months at work.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Of the 3 of us (my friends and I who pump at work) 2 of them stopped pumping and their supply diminished too much for them to BF at night, so they stopped altogether.
I, on the other hand, ran out of milk from the freezer a few weeks ago and HAVE to pump 2x/day just to make enough to leave her during the day. When I slacked on pumping, my supply went to crap and DD was waking several times during the night hungry. I had to take fenugreek 3x/day and wake up early to add an extra pumping session to rebuild my supply. It sucked. I'm back on track now and am not messing w/ it until DD weans...whenever that'll be
Old 11-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Way to go, momma! I just stopped pumping at work at 12 mos (just 2 weeks ago) and dd still nurses on demand evenings, nights and mornings. I'm in week 3 now and so far, have not had any day time let downs. I did have some during the first 2 weeks, but not every day. And we nurse on demand Sat and Sun, too. So, milk supply still seems to be fine for us.

Elisa
Old 11-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #8
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pumped until 15 months at which point my dc started refusing bottles at daycare. They don't do bottles in the first toddler class (where he moved at 16 months), so it worked out well that he started refusing at that point. He still nurses, but there's no way I would have stopped pumping before a year. I think you've made a wise decision to continue.

Laura who's loving life
Dyeing/Knitting WAHM
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:18 AM   #9
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

DD is 14.5 months and I still pump 3x day at work so she will get her 3 sippy of EBM @ DCP. I don't want to stop pumping, at this point I have been doing it so long it really doesn't bother me anymore and it forces me to take breaks during the day so I am not just working non-stop. It is also the only time I eat anything at work, I know that if I didn't pump I wouldn't stop for my breakfast/lunch/snack. I am also afraid that my body won't adjust correctly. When I had to stop pumping at work with DS my just dried up, it didn't regulate itself to have milk in the evenings like it is supposed to, it just all went away. I don't want that to happen this time so I am going to continue to pump until DD weans (you should have seen the look on my bosses face when I told him my goal was 3 yrs ).

Last edited by lilmama2dsndd; 11-15-2006 at 09:17 AM.
lilmama2dsndd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:55 AM   #10
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, I was just going to post the same question. My dd is only 8 mos, but I am soooo tired of pumping at work. I really strongly dislike it. Especially because I work in a lab, so I have to stop what I'm doing, go to another building, wash up, pump...twice a day can get rather fustrating. Plus, my dd only drinks 4 oz (on a good day) during the whole time I'm at work.
Sigh, but I guess we'll have to continue.