Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
MrsMartin2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Postpartum cramping and swollen belly

I had a natural birth of our twins on Saturday. No pain meds and a fast and easy labor. Today I have been having really bad cramps, like AF type cramps.

Also, my belly is still pretty swollen and actually a bit tender. I kind of expected it to look "deflated" after having two babies and placentas come out of there but instead it looks about 5 months pregnant.

I am going to ask the doctor when he comes by later, but my mom says it is all normal, so I expect he will too (she is a nurse) I am mostly just wondering if anyone else had these cramps, if so what did you do to ease them?

Advertisement

MrsMartin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Postpartum cramping and swollen belly

After birth is awful and painful. I normally just took tylenol to ease the cramps and you can also use a heating pad.
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I was going to say maybe gas, I had a csection but gas caused a lot of pain
Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

It's normal but no fun :/ take some light pain mess and walk! I find walking helps get everything back in its place inside after being shoved out of place during pregnancy.
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both are absolutely normal. After birth pain can be downright horrific (especially if they are massaging your uterus), and for many women it does take a while for your belly to not look pregnant. Congratulations on your twins!
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Yes it is normal, unfortunately. My cramps were as bad as contractions for several days. I took whatever meds they'd give me.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

Yes I definitely looked about 5 months pregnant when I went home, and I only had one baby! It takes some time. Breastfeeding will help. And the pain isn't fun either
Old 04-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Completely normal. The after birth cramps were so painful (way worse for #2 which is also very normal for them to get worse every birth)! You had 2 babies in there so your belly was stretched out a little more and will take time to get back down. I used a heating pad to help a little. The cramps tend to get worse when you feed...they did for me. All the stuff in there has to get back to a normal size and we feel it! How tall you are will probably add to how big your belly may look too. I am taller (5'10") so my belly didn't look very big at all. My friend just had her 2nd and she is around 5'2" and she still looked about 6-7mo pregnant when she went home. We are different but everything sounds normal for what you should be feeling!
SAHM to Keila 9/08 and Brycen 10/10. Expecting #3 ~Our Rainbow Baby~ March 2015!
Mamaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
PrincessCat
Registered Users

I looked about 5 months pregnant when I went home, but I am now two weeks postpartum and my stomach has shrunk back down again. Not quite flat, but I don't look like I have a beer gut anymore either.
PrincessCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

The cramping is your body doing it's job to decrease the size of your uterus. The swollen belly is because your uterus does not automatically revert to it's pre pregnancy size. It took 9 months, or in your case less, to get to the size it was. It takes time to return to it's normal size. Unfortunately that isn't fun nor is it painless. It hurts more or less for different women.