Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:
PL, PT, EC. Different or Same?

Is there a difference between them (different theories of approach), or just different ways to say the same thing.

Thanks!

Advertisement

proudmama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
mnmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: PL, PT, EC. Different or Same?

First off, I have limited knowledge and experience. My dcp has been ECing up until this weekend when we finally gave it a whirl.

It seems like ECing is non-verbal cues and PLing is more skills based, like being coordinated enough to go and be able to verbalize they need to go.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
lam328
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

imo, EC is about reading your baby's cues verbal or nonverbal and establishing a pattern of communication so that they begin to trust that you help them not to eliminate on themselves or a diaper. My kids have always been very verbal about needing to go, even as babies, they would squeal or make noises. Once you establish that pattern and trust, then eliminating somewhere other than in your clothing is completely natural.
PL or PT could be more focused on using a potty or unlearning the habit of going into a diaper....
lam328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
ckumelos
Registered Users
seller

Definetely different threories of approach. I don't know the difference between PL and PT, but EC definetely puts a burden of learning on the caretakers where PL and PT put most of that onus on the child. With EC the parent has to learn to understand the baby's sometimes very subtle communications. I think a lot of EC is just NOT to diaper train the child, and then have to use PT and/or PL to untrain the diaper trained child.
ckumelos is offline   Reply With Quote