Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
firemommaof1's Avatar
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: By the Blue Lake
Posts: 5,875
My Mood:
Question OK, this seems odd!

So I've been watching my nephew last week and then again this week for my sister. He is almost 16 month old now.
Well she brings his food and such for him.... I find this so ridiculous but his breakfast consists of infant rice cereal and infant fruit (ya know the one in containers... like starter food). I almost thought she was kidding!!! He is perfectly capable of eating table food but she still just gives him cereal
The rest of the food is still in the infant containers too... Like sweet potatoes, green beans and banannas. All the stage 1 or 2 foods in the little jars
am I the odd one for thinking this is crazy? She also still has me make him a bottle for in between feedings. I know he is her last baby so she IS babying him.
My dd is almost 19 months and eats normal table food and drinks from a sippy. I feel like just feeding him the normal food that everyone in my house eats... but then I wouldn't be following her parenting style. I am not trying to bash her or anything. I feel like this child could eat some more adult like food. Oh and in case your thinking he's small and skinny its completly the opposite lol. Huge child! He is wearing 2T clothing and is just a monster

Any thoughts? am I making something out of nothing? and besides my own children what do you feed your 1+ child?

Edit: Wanted to say I don't think the bottle is a big problem at all... it was only to show the routine of what his day of eating is like. Seriously not a worry about that. I just wonder if a child needs more then this?
Also changed title because it sounded rude to me lol. Totally nothing against my sis so I didn't want it to sound like there was lol.

Advertisement

__________________
* Sage * ~ Married to my handsome man who still makes my heart skip a beat after 12 years!
Mama to My Warrior Son~ 8/19/03 and My Little Mermaid DD~ 5/14/07
Sweet Little Cally 5/23/11
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014

Last edited by firemommaof1; 12-15-2008 at 10:30 AM.
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21,967
My Mood:
Re: OK, this seems ridiculous!!

have you ever asked why he is still eating babyfood? Is the bottle formula or BM?
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
I Smile Because Of Them's Avatar
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
Posts: 17,252
My Mood:
Re: OK, this seems ridiculous!!

Maybe she's following her Dr's advice. I know one of my DD's old Peds said that she should be on jar food until she was 18 months. Now I didn't listen, but maybe your sister is?

As far as the bottle, there is nothing wrong with him taking a bottle. My DS is 19 months old and still takes a bottle. A lot of mamas let their babies wean off the bottle just like some let their child wean off the breast. Nothing wrong with it.
__________________
Michelle, mama to Genesis, Abram and Juliette
I Smile Because Of Them is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
firemommaof1's Avatar
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: By the Blue Lake
Posts: 5,875
My Mood:
Re: OK, this seems ridiculous!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummyof2ooo View Post
have you ever asked why he is still eating babyfood? Is the bottle formula or BM?
No, I didn't really know because I don't watch him and we don't see eachother all that often. She was just in a tight spot so I've taken him for a few days. The bottle is with formula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Smile Because Of Them View Post
Maybe she's following her Dr's advice. I know one of my DD's old Peds said that she should be on jar food until she was 18 months. Now I didn't listen, but maybe your sister is?

As far as the bottle, there is nothing wrong with him taking a bottle. My DS is 19 months old and still takes a bottle. A lot of mamas let their babies wean off the bottle just like some let their child wean off the breast. Nothing wrong with it.
No no I hear ya on the bottle thing... it isn't that she is GIVING him a bottle... it just that it is the routine of a infant rather then one of a toddler (if that makes sense). Like here is you infant first foods then a bottle then more first foods then another bottle.... just seems like there should be some sort of real food by now and less of what a little baby would be doing.
__________________
* Sage * ~ Married to my handsome man who still makes my heart skip a beat after 12 years!
Mama to My Warrior Son~ 8/19/03 and My Little Mermaid DD~ 5/14/07
Sweet Little Cally 5/23/11
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014

Last edited by firemommaof1; 12-15-2008 at 10:15 AM.
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Heather8183's Avatar
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,755
Re: OK, this seems ridiculous!!

It's funny that you posted this...we had overnight guests last week and I really try not to judge other people's parenting styles because it's not my kid, but I felt the same way. Their little boy is over 13 months old and is still eating ONLY jarred baby food, baby oatmeal, and cheerios. He's ORANGE from the sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. They kept saying he eats like a pig. Well no kidding...he's hungry!!! We went out to dinner and he was trying desperately to get to everyone's food. I felt SO bad for him. He's got lots of teeth, but the mom says she's afraid he'll choke and die so that's why she isn't feeding him more...it was so sad. I didn't question her though, because he's not my son.
__________________
Heather-wife to the sexiest plumber you've ever met,
mama to H (6) K (3) and the newbies Sonia Faith and Jon David
My ISO/IHA My WAHM Wares
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
WhatWasIThinking's Avatar
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 2,805
My Mood:
Re: OK, this seems ridiculous!!

Maybe he isn't perfectly capable of eating table foods yet. Does he have food allergies and she feels safer feeding him jarred foods? Or maybe texture adversions? And as for the bottle, whats wrong with that? As long as he doesn't take it to kindergarten!
__________________
Brandy
WOHM Mommy to: E 13 , K 11 , A 7 , and Little J 21 months and he's in the ~~> stage right now!
Officially ERF & EBF!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
firemommaof1's Avatar
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: By the Blue Lake
Posts: 5,875
My Mood:
Re: OK, this seems ridiculous!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather8183 View Post
It's funny that you posted this...we had overnight guests last week and I really try not to judge other people's parenting styles because it's not my kid, but I felt the same way. Their little boy is over 13 months old and is still eating ONLY jarred baby food, baby oatmeal, and cheerios. He's ORANGE from the sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. They kept saying he eats like a pig. Well no kidding...he's hungry!!! We went out to dinner and he was trying desperately to get to everyone's food. I felt SO bad for him. He's got lots of teeth, but the mom says she's afraid he'll choke and die so that's why she isn't feeding him more...it was so sad. I didn't question her though, because he's not my son.
Oh I'm glad you posted this! This sounds just like my sister lol. She gives him small bites of food but if he ever coughs she thinks he's dying.
I totally agree with to each their own parenting styles... he is not my child and I don't expect anyone to do exactly as I do with my own children. I just find it odd that hes not at least on some sort of real solid food ya know.
__________________
* Sage * ~ Married to my handsome man who still makes my heart skip a beat after 12 years!
Mama to My Warrior Son~ 8/19/03 and My Little Mermaid DD~ 5/14/07
Sweet Little Cally 5/23/11
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
mdeveer's Avatar
mdeveer
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brusly, LA
Posts: 462
My Mood:
Re: OK, this seems ridiculous!!

I did the "mush" food 'til dd was almost 19 months old b/c she ate an amazing variety and balanced diet doing that!! I'd mix in meat (she HATED chewing it 'til she was 2-1/2) that was pureed, a couple of veggie ice cubes (made my own food instead of the containers) and at least one cube of fruit plus the cereal for consistency and rice milk or water. She started using a sippy cup a little before 12 months when I had to wean her (my body absolutely cannot support a pregnancy and nursing - I've tried twice!) b/c we never used bottles, so that was an easier switch without the bottle as an in-between. Some thought I was nuts, but I knew she wouldn't get much of any protein otherwise, and she ate WAY more veggies than any of my friend's kids with toddlers b/c she didn't know any better. Now we're also on the chicken nuggets and fries diet with some fresh fruit and salads thrown in like everyone else, and sometimes I wish she was still on the mush b/c she ate so much better - way more fruits and veggies and way less carbs. Plus, she genuinely liked it. If he's happy eating it, feed him what his mother wants him to have.
__________________
Happy christian wife to Jeff & SAHM to Elly (9/05), Austin (4/07), and Jonas (3/22/09)
mdeveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
PhotoLaura's Avatar
PhotoLaura
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 280
Re: OK, this seems odd!

I'm just wondering if since she is your Sister you could just ask her if there is a reason she prefers the food she sends for him or if you could "save her the trouble" and feed him along with your children? Couldn't hurt to ask if you word it harmlessly

And no you're not the only one who thinks it's unusual. My Daughter is 11 months old, my last child. She has been eating table food for so long now I can barely remember her eating baby food. My Husband and I both comment on how she ate baby food(homemade, mmmm) for maybe two months before she started eating all of her stuff cooked soft and cubed small. She's been eating the same meals as us for dinner with occasional modifications and chopping for probably a couple of months now at least.
She does great, the child is an EATER!

I almost never spoon feed her anything for months now except for yogurt or oatmeal. Everything goes on her high chair tray and she self feeds.

Last edited by PhotoLaura; 12-15-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention something.
PhotoLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
firemommaof1's Avatar
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: By the Blue Lake
Posts: 5,875
My Mood:
Re: OK, this seems ridiculous!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWasIThinking View Post
Maybe he isn't perfectly capable of eating table foods yet. Does he have food allergies and she feels safer feeding him jarred foods? Or maybe texture adversions? And as for the bottle, whats wrong with that? As long as he doesn't take it to kindergarten!
She would be a better judge if he's capable of eatting table food since she is the mom... I would say he's fine and what ever whole food he eats he is very careful to chew it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeveer View Post
I did the "mush" food 'til dd was almost 19 months old b/c she ate an amazing variety and balanced diet doing that!! I'd mix in meat (she HATED chewing it 'til she was 2-1/2) that was pureed, a couple of veggie ice cubes (made my own food instead of the containers) and at least one cube of fruit plus the cereal for consistency and rice milk or water. She started using a sippy cup a little before 12 months when I had to wean her (my body absolutely cannot support a pregnancy and nursing - I've tried twice!) b/c we never used bottles, so that was an easier switch without the bottle as an in-between. Some thought I was nuts, but I knew she wouldn't get much of any protein otherwise, and she ate WAY more veggies than any of my friend's kids with toddlers b/c she didn't know any better. Now we're also on the chicken nuggets and fries diet with some fresh fruit and salads thrown in like everyone else, and sometimes I wish she was still on the mush b/c she ate so much better - way more fruits and veggies and way less carbs. Plus, she genuinely liked it. If he's happy eating it, feed him what his mother wants him to have.
I totally see your point on here. Her older ds was/is a chicken nugget french fry diet. He will eat nothing!!!! Seriously.
Maybe this will benefit her baby since he is getting veggies in these food jars.
Thanks for posting
__________________
* Sage * ~ Married to my handsome man who still makes my heart skip a beat after 12 years!
Mama to My Warrior Son~ 8/19/03 and My Little Mermaid DD~ 5/14/07
Sweet Little Cally 5/23/11
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.