Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
teeniebeenie6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OK, this seems odd!

I think it is best not to judge other people's parenting choices. Some people feed jarred baby food for convenience. My DD's who are 21 month and almost 3 get some jarred food as extra snacks in between table foods. Both of them still drink bottles. My philosophy is I've never seen a five year old with a bottle, they will outgrow it. I know I've seen recent pictures of Suri Cruise with a bottle. My daughters hate sippy cups and I just don't have the energy to fight them on it now. I am 37 weeks pregnant.

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an almost 16 month old. We (well, DH) just got rid of bottles. She had been doing sippy during the day, but morning and evening bottles. DH got rid of them while I was on a business trip last week because he didn't think I could handle it... Where did my baby go!

She has been on table food for several months now. But I have just started doing cereal again! I wasn't liking what she was having for breakfast (and she will not eat eggs) so I tried the oatmeal baby cereal again (we had some leftover in the cupboard) and she loved it. I figure, it is good for her and adults eat oatmeal too just not ground as finely, so it is ok.

After reading the PP's post about eating veggies better from the jars, I am thinking I might even try that too! Some days DD will eat veggies, but some days she just won't. Maybe if I spoon feed them to her on those days she would still eat them? Worth a try.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
~LiLaC~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: OK, this seems ridiculous!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather8183 View Post
It's funny that you posted this...we had overnight guests last week and I really try not to judge other people's parenting styles because it's not my kid, but I felt the same way. Their little boy is over 13 months old and is still eating ONLY jarred baby food, baby oatmeal, and cheerios. He's ORANGE from the sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. They kept saying he eats like a pig. Well no kidding...he's hungry!!! We went out to dinner and he was trying desperately to get to everyone's food. I felt SO bad for him. He's got lots of teeth, but the mom says she's afraid he'll choke and die so that's why she isn't feeding him more...it was so sad. I didn't question her though, because he's not my son.
My son is 13 months and refuses anything harder than sweet potatoes. He definitely WANTS to eat, but has trouble. He just can't seem to eat anything solid and will either gag and choke, or spit it back at you. I actually have an appointment with an OT tomorrow b/c my ped is concerned something might be wrong. While some 13 month olds might be perfectly capable of eating solids, mine isn't. You never know why someone is making the choices they are unless you ask.

To the OP, I think you should kindly ask her if its ok to give him some table food and see what she says, Maybe explain to her how you see he has an interest in it.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeniebeenie6 View Post
I think it is best not to judge other people's parenting choices. Some people feed jarred baby food for convenience. My DD's who are 21 month and almost 3 get some jarred food as extra snacks in between table foods. Both of them still drink bottles. My philosophy is I've never seen a five year old with a bottle, they will outgrow it. I know I've seen recent pictures of Suri Cruise with a bottle. My daughters hate sippy cups and I just don't have the energy to fight them on it now. I am 37 weeks pregnant.
I am honestly not judging her decision to keep feeding him this way. I know she is doing what she thinks if right for her and her children. I just wonder if he does need more then rice cereal for a meal.
And once again it's not about the bottle... I was simply trying to show the daily routine of what the boy eats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmingly View Post
I have an almost 16 month old. We (well, DH) just got rid of bottles. She had been doing sippy during the day, but morning and evening bottles. DH got rid of them while I was on a business trip last week because he didn't think I could handle it... Where did my baby go!

She has been on table food for several months now. But I have just started doing cereal again! I wasn't liking what she was having for breakfast (and she will not eat eggs) so I tried the oatmeal baby cereal again (we had some leftover in the cupboard) and she loved it. I figure, it is good for her and adults eat oatmeal too just not ground as finely, so it is ok.

After reading the PP's post about eating veggies better from the jars, I am thinking I might even try that too! Some days DD will eat veggies, but some days she just won't. Maybe if I spoon feed them to her on those days she would still eat them? Worth a try.
It is so hard to see the infant side go and see more of a toddler I am going through this right now with my dd

As for the veggies idea I totally agree Its a great way for them to eat the veggies if they don't want the table food veggies. I would much rather them eat good healthy food (even if its from a jar) then live off junk food and eat nothing healthy.

Like I said in another post her older boy doesn't eat anything healthy so this could be an advantage to her baby.
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

another thought....some moms delay solids until 1 year...so then, when babe starts eating solids, they are starting at stage 1 to get use to the different swallowing, etc.....take a babe who's already prone to a hard time with solids and delay them until 1 year, and it doesn't seem too far off that they would take 4 months to get past stage 1 and 2

i used to think it was wierd too (DS1 started solids on time....around 4-6 months) and has been on table food forever.....so it always seemed wierd to me to see 1 year olds still eating jarred food - but now i've decided to delay at least until 8 months and maybe even a year with DS2, so he may not even be starting jarred food until he's one.....i really don't think that many baby's are hungry like people say they are - they're just interested in the food - if they were starving, i'm sure they'd get more BM or formula or jarred food - i don't think any mom would let their babe devour all their food and act starving and not up the amount any.....just being interested in the food is not a sign that the baby is hungry
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #16
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

the only thing I would "think" is the formula plus food would be to much food and is why he is so big. I know a lot of moms who did the stage 2 formula for their children though so maybe it is fine, just seems like alot of cal. for a child. Just do what she asks and im sure if there is a prob down the road her pedi will tell her to stop.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post
another thought....some moms delay solids until 1 year...so then, when babe starts eating solids, they are starting at stage 1 to get use to the different swallowing, etc.....take a babe who's already prone to a hard time with solids and delay them until 1 year, and it doesn't seem too far off that they would take 4 months to get past stage 1 and 2

i used to think it was wierd too (DS1 started solids on time....around 4-6 months) and has been on table food forever.....so it always seemed wierd to me to see 1 year olds still eating jarred food - but now i've decided to delay at least until 8 months and maybe even a year with DS2, so he may not even be starting jarred food until he's one.....i really don't think that many baby's are hungry like people say they are - they're just interested in the food - if they were starving, i'm sure they'd get more BM or formula or jarred food - i don't think any mom would let their babe devour all their food and act starving and not up the amount any.....just being interested in the food is not a sign that the baby is hungry
Definitely see where your coming from. I ebf my dd until she was almost 12 months. She showed no interest in food and when I tried her on them she spit and gagged. This is just me. Like I said I don't expect others to do as I do and I do believe to each their own with parenting styles.

My sister started him on this rice cereal and such at 4 months old. She gave me a hard time for not feeding my dd.
The odd part is I have been to dinner and such with her and she gives him bits of her food. He loves to eat... since watching him last week and today I thought he would have some food packed to eat. Not just infant stuff. I guess the infant rice cereal is throwing me off the most
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #18
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didnt read all the post so sorry if I repeat

DD1 ate very little(from day one and as a matter of fact still does lol) I often worried that she wasnt getting the right amount of the good stuff. She liked baby fruits and infant cereal. She ate the cereal until she was 2. She liked it and I knew it was good for her so I didnt see any problem with it. DD2 on the other hand pretty much went straight to table foods at 9mos(started infant foods at 7.5mos) and she's always eaten a lot so I never really pushed the purees and infant cereal with her. However I still will buy the infant foods fruits from time to time. I view it as being no different then applesauce really....it just gives my girls(almost 4 and 18mos) more variety and they love dipping crackers and fruit pieces and such in it
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #19
eileenAKAmommy
Mommy to 2 special boys
seller

My Mood:

We used jar food for awhile, since our youngest has food allergies.

He is still on a bottle... because he is my last baby =( but not in a infant routine.

I would say as long as he is happy, gaining weight and healthy, that there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #20
faithhopeluv777
Registered Users

I personally like to feed my dd table food because often times it'se easier to clean up (she just gets pureed type foods all over the place), but I can see that it would definitely be easier to buy foods in jars rather than trying to prepare meals (and the pureed foods are cheaper than the Graduates type foods). But maybe you can ask her if she minds that you try some things with him, and then maybe she'll buy those things and send them with him instead.