Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
c2afwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Stopping before 12 months?

I have looked throught this forum a bit and can't really find anyone who stopped BFing at a year or less. Is it just the crowd here...most believe in extended BFing? Honestly for me...the fact that I have been BFing for 8 + months is a HUGE accomplishment and I'm really proud of it! But I come on here and feel like I'm a horrible mother for not wanting to BF until my LO is 18 months, 2, or 3 years!

So have any of you stopped at a year? Before a year? If you stopped before a year what did you do until the year was up....go to bottle? Forumla or stored up breastmilk? Or did you wait until a year and go to whole milk?

The reason I'm asking is because when DS is 10 months old we are moving. DH is going to take us to my mom's house to stay for 2 months while he is at a training class. Then he will meet up with us and we will move to our new base. So it's going to be a very busy/crazy time and I'm not sure I want/can be tied down to BFing all the time. DH is a HUGE help and support for me and my mom just isn't a big "help" in the child department...so having him gone for 2 months and trying to do it all on my own...in addition to trying to move...it's just ALL a bit much!

Please no mama bashing here!

Advertisement

c2afwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
clothdipemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stopping before 12 months?

I'm probably not much help, but I just wanted to congratulate on breastfeeding as long as you have!! I'm nursing right now and do plan on quitting around the 1 year mark. My dd is 10 months right now. My plan was to mix frozen bm with whole milk until she adjusts after she turns a year old. If I planned on quiting earlier I would stock up on my frozen bm supply and go that way. If you can't do this, I think your only choice is formula until your little one reaches 1-yrs-old. Other mama's might know something different.
Just like you I've noticed a lot of mamas breastfeed well past the year mark, this would be an interesting poll. I should start one! Good Luck!
Wife 09/06, and Mom to GirlBabyr02/08 BoyBabyr 10/09 and GirlBabyr 09/11 and #4 :Girlbabyr 08/13
clothdipemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
crunchynutty
Registered Users

Do you really think it will be easier to switch to bottles? You'll have to deal w/ mixing formula and making sure you keep t cold if you go out. It seems like a lot more hassle to STOP bf than to keep going. KWIM?
crunchynutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
c2afwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ya I hear what you are saying. It's more of a: I can't be in two places at once. In times when things are calm...yes breastfeeding is easier! But I'm thinking more about times where I need to pack, meet with a realtor, deal with finding a home (whatever that will mean), etc etc etc! I will need to be doing a lot of this stuff on my own so that is more of my stress and worry.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
reagansmom05
Registered Users
seller

if he is eating solid foods at 10 months then he wont need to be attached to you while you have to run errands and deal with things. since youve been bfing for 8 months you probably know how to plan outings around bfing, so if you need to go out without ds you can nurse him before you leave and leave baby food for your mom to feed him. i would say stick it out for those two months. one thing i have read is that you dont want to wean them while they are going through a big change, it is very stressful for them. my son desperately needs to be night weaned, but we are waiting till after xmas because we are going on a long trip and you dont want to put the two together. also, i am speaking from personal experience of weaning my ds1 at 9 months and regretting it to this day [he is 3.5yrs]. i just wish i had stuck it out for 3 more measly months. good luck! what base are you moving to?
Anna, sahm to THREE boys [Reagan 4/25/05 & Hunter 7/17/07 & Logan 12/22/09 ] & one lost bean 2/15/09, Air Force Wife & SAHM. i love free gift cards from SWAGBUCKS!! EBATES and CloudCrowd and CASHBAQis where I earn paypal!! easy paid emails!!
reagansmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had every intention of bf'ing to 1 year but things came up and my supply dropped drastically at around 10 months. Ds was already getting bottles of formula or breastmilk 2 or 3 times a day (While I was at work) and as much as I wanted to keep going, I stopped. He weaned with no adverse affects and he has no problems associated with it that I can see. We used formula until 11+ months but he was on whole milk just before a year.
About a month after we weaned we fly across the country. I kicked myself daily that we weren't still bf'ing because it would have been SO MUCH EASIER but we managed. And you will too, whichever method you decide to go with. 8 months is a great start, but just remember that if you do wean so that it's easier on you, you can't go back later (well, you could, but it wouldn't be easy). You've given your baby a great start and I hope that you make the decision that is right for you and your family!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not sure exactly how long I BF during the day. I think around 12 mo. DS was only really breastfeeding at night. We started cow's milk at around a year and yogurt and cheese at probably 10-11 months. Good for you that you've managed to keep up breastfeeding for so long.
If your LO takes well to solids, you can wean pretty quickly, but it'll be easier on you if you take it slow. You might try just cutting back on day feedings during your move and see how it works out with just a morning and evening BF session. For me, weaning during the day was a great compromise, as DS could spend the day with grandparents without me worrying about him, giving me some much needed time to myself. If I hadn't gotten pregnant at around 12 months, we might have had a longer BF relationship. Like PP said, you can't go back.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
clothdipemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck on whatever you decide! I do agree with what some of the other ladies said about it might be easier to keep bf and maybe pump if you are away.
I also didn't realize that you are stationed at the Minot AFB, Minot is my hometown . Sorry, I know most base people don't like it there, especially now, Brr. All my family is there still so of course I'll always love it there!
Wife 09/06, and Mom to GirlBabyr02/08 BoyBabyr 10/09 and GirlBabyr 09/11 and #4 :Girlbabyr 08/13
clothdipemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
c2afwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemama View Post
Good luck on whatever you decide! I do agree with what some of the other ladies said about it might be easier to keep bf and maybe pump if you are away.
I also didn't realize that you are stationed at the Minot AFB, Minot is my hometown . Sorry, I know most base people don't like it there, especially now, Brr. All my family is there still so of course I'll always love it there!
Ha ha! Ya not too thrilled living here! LOL But no offense....I am a So Cal girl and this place has been QUITE an adjustment...to say the least! We are moving to Vandenberg AFB (about an hour north of Santa Barbara). So we will be back in Cali and about 4 hours from my family and friends! YAY

DS is LOVING his solid foods...he eats a TON of it! He also seems less thrilled with BFing, but he also has a little head cold right now so I think it's hard for him to breathe! Could he be self weaning this early? Could he be more interested in REAL food and just not care as much about the boob? I really hope that my mom is up for helping me
Old 12-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

i didn't really read all the replies, but i think you could probably (depending on your LO) cut back on the BFing and offer more solids and maybe a sippy or bottle of formula here and there so that you know you could be gone for half a day or so without having to worry about pumping/BFing .. if you knew your LO could take a bottle if you couldn' tbe around that would help.. your supply might drop, but it sounds like you've already met your goal so if your LO chose to switch to the bottle it wouldn't be a big deal for you.. right? i just wouldn't wean completely until you're in the situation and know if its really going to be easier or harder.. kwim? at around 12 months i know my DD liked to nurse all the time when i was around but i could leave for 4-6 hours without her blinking an eye .. she would eat solids and drink juice but would not take any kind of milk during that time..