Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #11
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Quick Poll: When did your DC wean?

Remember, the way we are designed, humans wouldn't survive if they didn't nurse until 2 years of age (approx.)

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #12
Shawna_L
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel View Post
babies do not generally wean before 2 years let alone before a year. It is VERY common for a baby to have a nursing strike around the ages your ALL of your DC.

First I would cut back way on solids and bottles of formula. Your baby will not starve if they dont eat well for a few days

Second I would go on a nursing vacation. Where you and you DC spend the weekend or so in a quite plus rekindling your nursing relationship.

Pump or hand express before feeding to let your let down happen faster

Offer the breast OFTEN. Every hour if needed.

Your baby might be frusturated for a few days but will soon be back to the breast.

Also a lot of babies around this age only nurse 5 or less minutes. Its normal

Please please please dont t hink this is weaning. So many moms think it is when its really not.

Get your self to a local LLL meeting and give your Local LLL leader a call.
All good advice. I really don't think that DS is weaning...I'm sure in my situation I've got a strike on my hands. It's just that I'm worried that we won't be able to work our way out of it. I wish we were able to cut out bottles completely (I think this is a huge part of the issue), but it's just not an option as I work part-time.
Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Most of my advice has already been said- but, I just want to offer my support!
Bella goes on strike every time she is teething. It's a rough few days, but then it passes.
Have you tried (if you can) just hanging out topless? That can often entice baby to nurse more, since it's out and available all the time. Good luck!
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna_L View Post
All good advice. I really don't think that DS is weaning...I'm sure in my situation I've got a strike on my hands. It's just that I'm worried that we won't be able to work our way out of it. I wish we were able to cut out bottles completely (I think this is a huge part of the issue), but it's just not an option as I work part-time.
is it EBM or formula? Do you have a few days off where you can go on a nursing vacation?
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:55 PM   #15
Shawna_L
Banned

Quote:
is it EBM or formula? Do you have a few days off where you can go on a nursing vacation?
Right now just breast milk. For a while we had to supplement with some formula while I was dealing with some supply issues, but my freezer stash has gotten built back up. A nursing vacation would be great, but my schedule is such that I'm away from him almost every other day. Two days in a row is the most I get with him alone...do you think that would be long enough to help?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #16
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna_L View Post
Right now just breast milk. For a while we had to supplement with some formula while I was dealing with some supply issues, but my freezer stash has gotten built back up. A nursing vacation would be great, but my schedule is such that I'm away from him almost every other day. Two days in a row is the most I get with him alone...do you think that would be long enough to help?
Absolutely! Just make sure on those days to not give him any bottles! Im sure he will get back to his normal nursing habbits. Is he nursing a lot over night? Alot of times babies will reverse cycle and nurse a lot at night and not much during the day. Which is fine too
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #17
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

ITA w/ MamaMel, an LLL leader and BF and AP researcher told me once that no baby weans themselves before 3 that she has seen. (But 2 is close(r) IMO.)
Old 11-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #18
kangamom
Registered Users
seller

All of my babies seemed to loose interest around that age. As they transition into toddlers, they just get really distracted by all their new discoveries during the day. Keep nursing when they ask, and they will gain interest again. Mine go back and forth between forgetting for a few days and then nursing non stop. The first time they get sick or something they will come back to it. I agree that any baby self weaning before age 3 is a myth. Most often they go through a distracted stage and mom just lets them stay distracted.
kangamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:23 PM   #19
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Both of my older daughters weaned (with some encouragement) at 13 months because I was pregnant and a huge wimp that couldn't deal with the PAIN. ouchie. Kb is 9 months and still going strong, with no new baby in sight, so hopefully we can go longer. I want to gross out all the anti- bfing people I know, LOL.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #20
Shawna_L
Banned

Quote:
Absolutely! Just make sure on those days to not give him any bottles! Im sure he will get back to his normal nursing habbits. Is he nursing a lot over night? Alot of times babies will reverse cycle and nurse a lot at night and not much during the day. Which is fine too
He sleeps through the night so his last feeding is around 8:00 pm and then he's up at 6:00 am for breakfast. So he's not stuck in reverse. I'm offering him the opportunity to nurse every chance I get, but I think a "nursing vacation" is a great idea so we'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the input...I really appreciate it. I hope this was helpful to the original poster as well. I feel like I took over the thread and that was not my intent...sorry!