Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #21
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Quick Poll: When did your DC wean?

Mamma Mel Has got this right!

Advertisement

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #22
kedmac
Registered Users

Hi. thank you to everyone who has replied to this post. It is a good thread. I thought I would submit what my midwife / naturapath and certified lactation consultant said about my situation.

Lact. consult. "From what you've said, I think she is weaning herself. Normally, our milk
supply is highest first thing in the morning, and tends to decline
throughout the day. By the afternoon, even with feeding and/or pumping, the
supply decreases. Once you'd stopped pumping for awhile, it didn't take her
long to realize that there was not much there by the time you guys got home,
and especially by bedtime. Probably, you rebound a little during the night,
she's still a little sleepy and likes the cuddling and is not so nosey yet,
so she hasn't given up the morning feeding.

I think the idea of a nursing vacation is excellent. Try during the holidays
to put her to the breast as many times per day as you can, and see what
happens. Even if she only does a few minutes a few more times per day, you
should see an increase in the supply again. This may peak her interest
again. "

Midwife / Naturapath
"I would not call it a nursing strike, it is just a normal transition that children make, some earlier than others. She is almost a year old, and if she is really enjoying food, and she is not needing the breast for comfort, then she should naturally transition away from it.
Do not quit offering it to her, at least not at this moment. But in light of your decision to quit pumping, this is Mia showing her support. We can talk more about it at her one year, but what ever seems to be working (for the both of you) go with it.
As long as she is getting enough calories from other sources she does not need the breast milk anymore.
But remember, she may decide that she wants to nurse more again later, and she may nurse more when she is not feeling well when food is harder to digest. "

Cheers to all.
kedmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #23
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

??????OK

DOULA in training!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #24
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nursing strikes...self weaning....gheez....

Ok, I have been nursing for ***12*** years... let me tell you it is the AGE...

even my yds right now is 10mths and he just went through this...

this step can happen as early as 5-6mths or after 1yr, it depends on your child and how "nosey" they are... it takes alot of time and patience to nurse...time that they would rather be exploring...

this is the age/time where they are interested in EVERYTHING... if you want them to nurse, take away the distractions... try nursing when you first wake up in bed, and last thing at night... Also take away any distractions... go to a quiet room, dark maybe even, so nothing is around to grab thier attention.... For this age, they really dont need to nurse constantly, so dont worry... they will catch back up soon enough.
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #25
kedmac
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinewith4 View Post
nursing strikes...self weaning....gheez....

Ok, I have been nursing for ***12*** years... let me tell you it is the AGE...

even my yds right now is 10mths and he just went through this...

this step can happen as early as 5-6mths or after 1yr, it depends on your child and how "nosey" they are... it takes alot of time and patience to nurse...time that they would rather be exploring...

this is the age/time where they are interested in EVERYTHING... if you want them to nurse, take away the distractions... try nursing when you first wake up in bed, and last thing at night... Also take away any distractions... go to a quiet room, dark maybe even, so nothing is around to grab thier attention.... For this age, they really dont need to nurse constantly, so dont worry... they will catch back up soon enough.

Thank you for the balance that you bring to this thread. As a first time mom, it is important to have a support system for situations just as this. It's reassuring to me to know that this happens to others and that with some patience and encouragement I can continue BF. I think its important to remember, whether your a first time mom, or one whose been around the block, that even if you are PASSIONATE about a subject (BF, CD, what have you) that if you do not present your side with balance and understanding that people just become closed off. Im not meaning to point to any person's submission to this thread, and I hope not to offend anyone, but in my journey as a new mom I have found that when you encounter people who are pasionate that sometimes they are judgemental too. I'll admit, I do it also. I have a sister who only BF for 6 weeks and then just gave up. I could not understand why anyone would want to put their child in Huggies, who knows whats in that stuff. But at almost 11 months, I have gained some perspective. And thought I still BF and CD as much as DD and I can reasonably manage, I can better understand what the hurdles are. The biggest dis-service we do to others by being judgemental is that it makes people who want to BF or CD but need help feel like its impossible. if we teach that BF is only acceptable if we do it for 2 years, then there is more of a chance that we lose those who are on the fence and then they miss out on this beautiful, wonderful, healthy gift that God has enabled us to do! So I hope that we can continue to have this discussion but be understanding to all perspectives. Feel excited that we have made it this far and are clearly interested in BF more and just need some encouragement. Some of the suggestions given here have been inspirational. But I hope that for those of you who these suggestions don't work for, that you're able to continue to seek help rather than feeling that if you can't do it all.
Thanks again for all of your help and support.
kedmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #26
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
As long as she is getting enough calories from other sources she does not need the breast milk anymore.
But remember, she may decide that she wants to nurse more again later, and she may nurse more when she is not feeling well when food is harder to digest. "
This is a scarey statement to me. There is tons of research that shows this is not true. It is not just about the calories and nothing can replace what breastmilk gives. I need to go to bed so I can't give the links now, but I would arm myslef with info for the visit.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #27
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3girls View Post
This is a scarey statement to me. There is tons of research that shows this is not true. It is not just about the calories and nothing can replace what breastmilk gives. I need to go to bed so I can't give the links now, but I would arm myslef with info for the visit.

Yup that is why I said ????OK. I just feel like she is minimizing the need for BF for a 10.5 months. I think BM is needed big time at this age and no, I don't think that she is weaning thats just my opinion.

If it were me and yes, we went through this at almost 7 months, I would take some food away and nurse instead. Or maybe not fill her up and then nurse.

Passion is in everyone's life. Some express it openly some don't that is why we are all different.

Let us know how it goes.

DOULA in training!