Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
LambyPants
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty Help Please!!!

My little guy has been doing an excellent job with pee'ing in the potty. the first day we started he had it down like a pro. the problem we're having is pooping in the potty. for a while he didn't want to sit on the potty, but after his first underwear blowout he sat on it while we cleaned up. Now he's not resistant to sitting on it, but he won't poop in it!! He hides and poops in his clothes. We've tried catching him when he goes to hide and taking him to the potty, but he will not sit on it when he has to go poo. We've been doing poop modeling, all of us whenever we have to go take him with us to the potty, demonstrate how our tummy feels, and (sorry if this is TMI) very dramatically make the grunting poo poo sounds. When we're done he is shown what's deposited and congratulate ourselves just the same way he is congratulated every time he pees in the potty.

We've never had a hard time with pooping with the other kids. They all kind of did it automatically when we started pottying them. I'm just at a loss. DH wants to put diapers on him, but I don't want to. I've learned the hard way that diapers just encourage them to go IN the diaper (pooping and pee'ing), which we don't want. Part of me just feels like just letting him poo in his unders until HE'S ready to poo in the potty. It doesn't bother me to scrub out his underwear. And I don't want him to feel any anxiety about the toilet.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Last edited by LambyPants; 12-17-2008 at 10:53 AM.
LambyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
LambyPants
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty Help Please!!!

Anyone? A response, suggestion...anything?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

Naked time? DS got confused if he had anything on his bottom. But I actually had the opposite problem- he started pooping in the potty well before he would pee in it. GL!
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I think your on the right track and keep doing what your doing, if you put him in diapers, your right and he is going to go backwards, keep up with the underwear and he will soon be a pro.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
LambyPants
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm...don't know if I'd want to try nekkid. He likes to watch his pee pee come out (very fascinating!), so I could totally see him doing it randomly on the floor . Don't want to risk him bare butting it while he's hiding and pooping somewhere.

And thanks for the encouragement, SFF.

I just wish I had kept my diaper sprayer for the underwear, lol.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we are just starting the introducing of the potty to ds but I was reading this book about it last night and it was talking about explaining to your lo that the poo-poo needs to go home and to make a big deal about saying goodbye to the poo-poo as they flush it. Obviously we aren't there yet- I just put ds poop in the little potty, transferred it to the big potty and said it and he got all excited saying goodbye to it and was very intrigued by the whole thing. Anyway, I don't know if that is at all useful, but I just wanted to share.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Okmommy06
Registered Users

My Mood:

Were not to the poop part yet, DS told us for the first time today that he had to go potty(while we were out at a restaurant) and actually went. He's told us before but didn't go. I'm not sure if he'll keep it up, but i'm hoping he's ready. He's just now 2 and i've heard boys sometimes get stubborn about it and take a lot longer than girls. We've tried before putting him on the potty every 30 min. after he told us the first time that he had to go but didn't but he hated it and would get so mad, so we waited for him to decide and i'm hoping this is it.

I hope you find some answers. GL.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #8
jpicasso
Registered Users
seller

It took my DD a while as well. DH and I started to take her in the bathroom with us everytime we had to do #2 I know that isn't for everyone, but we would let her flush the toilet and we'd all say bye-bye to the poo. I had heard that some kids are afraid to poop in the potty because they feel like they are losing a part of themselves. Taking her with us while we went showed her it was OK.

It still took a few weeks, but one day I told her if she pooped on the potty I would take her to the store to get a donut. That's a very special treat in our house. A few days later she finally did it and first thing she asked for was a donut

Have a special reward, different than what you use for pee, for the poop. And just hang in there. Like you said, he'll do it eventually
Old 12-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wish I could help. DD had poo down before pee. SHe's reliable at telling us when she has to poop but needs help with the pee times.

Definitely don't go back to diapers. It seems like your son knows what you want of him but can't or won't comply, so going back to diapers is like you saying, "okay, we won't ask you to poo on the potty." He's got to get to a point where it is preferable to him to use the potty over having poopy undies. He's in charge, after all.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With ds1 (who is sealife obsessed) my dh told him that when you poop in the potty and flush it goes to the ocean and sharks eat it. Sick I know but he pooped in the potty to feed the sharks and never looked back. Maybe you could make up a song about it like the yo gabba gabba "Party in my tummy" Ya' know cause the whatever veggie it was got sad because it didn't go to the party and so he ate it....maybe we watch too much TV I hope at least someone knows what I am talking about. Also, after a few days of consistant pottying we had a "potty party" we invited the grandmas and my sister and neice and one potty trained friend and his mom. Everyone gave my son some new cool underware and Evan got to pick our dinner and dessert and we celebrated him growing up. Lots of fun! Oh and while we're on the topic, my ds and my neice pt'd at the same time and they LOVED to go after each other, always asking "Can I poop on your poop?" So, maybe he'd like to poop on your poop? Gross I know, but whatever works! Good luck!

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is online now   Reply With Quote