Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
My Mood:
Reglan question + more

How long before I notice a difference in my supply after starting Reglan?

Another one... If it doesn't work (Don't be pessimistic, Sherrie!!!), can I mix formula and BM? She is 6 months old and I pump. She has NEVER tasted formula before. I don't even know what kind to buy.

I have tried Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. I drink water like it's going to disappear. Any other ideas? :scratchhead: Can I take an herb AND Reglan together? I pump during the day. I pump while she eats off one side. I pump after she goes to bed. I'm attached to that freakin' thing! I wish I could do a "nursing vacation". I don't have the vacation days though. If I can make it to Thanksgiving, I will have Wednesday - Sunday off. We had to give her a bottle of pumped milk the other night to get her to sleep. She kept waking up hungry. After about the third time, I noticed had no milk coming out. Poor thing was HUNGRY!

Sherrie ~ Married to David ~ Mommy to Nicholas (9/24/01) and Alyssa (5/11/06) ~ I used to CD and BF (While WOHM) and BWCheck out my goats! Fainting goats! Bink Goat Farms
ebutterfly782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Reglan question + more

You can mix formula and BM, my ped had me adding formula to my pumped milk to increase it's caloric density when DS1 had failure to thrive. The bad part is then the milk (all of it) will go bad in 1 hour and you will not be able to re-use any left overs like you would if it was straight BM. Good luck mamma, hope you make it to your nurse in and all goes well.
Deidre SAHM to Nate (2/27/04) & Josh (10/29/06)
deejahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Registered Users

Be super super careful about adding formula to bm. It is fine to mix prepared formula with breastmilk if you need to stretch it, but never mix formula powder into breastmilk without discussing fully with a doctor. If you put formula powder in with breastmilk it can make the protein content way too high and damage the baby's kidneys. Of course, I would work as hard as possible to not need the formula.

To the OP. I would order Domperidone if I were you. Reglan and Dom work the same but Dom doesn't cross the blood/brin barrier therefore it does not have the same risk of depression. You can order Dom here for the cheapest I could find. It comes in blister packs also.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Registered Users

Hi, I'm new to this board...your question struck home with me.

With my first I had lots of difficulty with breastfeeding after I returned to work. I tried everything! Fennugreek (sp?) Mother's Milk tea, pumping while feeding her, pumping after feeding her, I did a couple nursing/pumping weekends, I drank so much water I thought I would float away...nothing was working. I was in constant contact with the lactaion consultant. I eventually was prescribed Reglan. To answer yourquestion, for me it worked within a day. The morning after I took it I woke up engorged and leaking (something that had not happened in months) I was delighted! But it only lasted for the short time I was on Reglan. Most MD's won't prescribe Reglan for long periods because (what I was told) it increases the chance of developing depression. Eventually, the lacation consultant told me that there wasn't much else that could be done (I think I needed to hear that, it gave me permission to put the pump away, though I really wanted to throw it in the street in hopes that it would get run over by a large truck and shatter into many pieces!)

As far as mixing breastmilk and formula...We would mix up the formula according to the directions and then mix that with the breastmilk. We always felt at least that way she was getting some breastmilk and that made me feel better.
collie763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

hi, i have been exclusively pumping for 14 weeks for Lily.
we used reglan with fenugreek and blessed thistle. it took 1.5 weeks to notice the difference in supply but it was TONS of milk. be careful though, reglan made me anxious and depressed and i couldn't drive while taking it (9 weeks). it was a miracle though; it enabled me to establish a supply of breastmilk we would not have had otherwise. good luck, feel free to pm me with questions/if you need support/etc.
loving life with DH Andrew and WAHM to Lily, 8/1/06 I make jewelry, organic flaxseed hot/cold pads and eye pillows, organic bath salts and I love to trade. ISO XL or toddler sized Luke's Drawers size 18-24 mos Robeez in any condition.
redhotmavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Registered Users

I want to second the pp in reccomending domperidone. My body couldn't tolerate the Reglan it made me feel really funny and anxious. I had tried everything too! The domperidone was my miracle drug, it saved our nursing relationship and I had NO side effects. I was also able to wean off of it and we are now nursing fine with nothing .

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you want to.
*Meagan*Love being a SAH Homeschooling Mama to my 4 + Baby 5 due 10/14.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote