Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
oldmanpants
Registered Users
seller

Gonna start PTing soon... Why not Gerber?

So I've been gathering advice in the last few months about PTing and am ready to take the plunge with 2yo DS once the holidays are over and things settle down. I'm a pretty common sense mama and am planning on just taking the all-or-nothing plunge - packing up the dipes and not looking back! DS can "control it" and has been peeing on his potty at will for about 6 mos. now (I know I probably could've done this sooner but was working FT until recently).

My question is: I've heard that Gerber are crapsville - that they aren't absorbent and that they leak. But for the initial week (or two or three) don't you sort of want kiddo to feel wet when s/he wets and for this "accident" to be a nuisance (ie. running down their legs uncomfortable) so that they learn to hit the potty in time? So it shouldn't really matter that Gerber leak, right ? DS isn't a super-heavy wetter, so I don't foresee a huge floor puddle from leakage. So what's the big deal???

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
tsfairy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Gonna start PTing soon... Why not Gerber?

Gerbers aren't super absorbent, but they are great for catching a partial miss, like if the kiddo doesn't quite make it to the potty in time, or if kiddo doesn't pee a ton. I used them and Wee Essentials for DS1 and they worked great. DS2 completely floods them so I use 2 doubled up, or add an extra soaker pad inside, and put wool on top.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Sam25!
Registered Users
seller

Re: Gonna start PTing soon... Why not Gerber?

I used the gerber ones for all my kids so far. They work just fine. Then when they start to get better we switch over to regular underware. Yeah I agree you want them to feel wet so that they know when it is time to go. When I decide that it is time I just throw out all diapers, not literally. Go all big boy/girl pants. It makes it less confusing for them. My girls just turned two in September they are are already at about 95% daytime potty trained. Nights they are completly, they get up every morning dry, and it is the first thing we do in the morning is use the potty.