Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Spikettes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Breast Pump suggestions

My son is 8 1/2 months old. We started solids about a month ago... working our way through various purees. I had wanted to try BLW but our little guy perfers purees.. so he wins. ;-) Anyway. I have an extremely stressful job the last 2 months have been very, very bad... like I come home crying or end up crying at work about once a week. My schedule is erractic and crazy and most days I have to drop everything to deal with an emergency. Until a month ago we were ebf. At that time I was pumping at least twice a day at work. Now I usually get to pump once a day. Plus the little guy has started sleeping longer at night.. nursing once, maybe twice. My Avent Isis Duo has also started making screeching noises while I pump and I can tell it is affecting the suction. Pumping is taking 2-3 times longer than it was.
Needless to say I have seen a drastic drop in my milk production. Thnk goodness early on I had an overproduction and had a few weeks stocked. Now I am pumping a few days ahead of what is needed.. but would like more. I had hoped to begin donating one day. Plus it is nice to have extra for if DH and I actually want to go out one night.
Stress at work is getting better... So, hopefully I will be able to pump twice a day again. I have started looking for a new double pump as well. I like the Avent but someone gave it to me. She used it for 3 months before her son weaned. I like the Avent but it has started to fail after 10-11 m,onths use. I used a Medela for the first few weeks post partum.. I wasn't impressed but a friend lent it to me to try out. I think it was in the process of dying as well. Any one have suggections?
I need something heavy duty that will last. I want to breast feed at least another 4 months and then after that it's up to the little guy... hopfully he will want to much longer.

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
konayossie
Registered Users

Re: Breast Pump suggestions

I used a Medela PIS for 9 months 2-3x a day for 15-20 mins at a time. No strange noises or anything at the end. I have not heard of anyone complaining of problems with them. I know you're not supposed to reuse them, but after seeing how they work, I would buy one second-hand and just use mine own replaceable parts. There are TONS of them on craigslist.

Sorry you've been having a tough time lately! Hope things get better at work soon.
konayossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use a Medela PIS Advanced. I really like it. It's comfortable and I have gotten the most milk out of that than anything else. I also use a Medela manual pump for when I'm away from home and Liev is taking an extra long nap in the car.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
vlinderanna
Registered Users

My Mood:

I Have a pump in style, I pumped with it for 13 months for DD1 (at work only) and a few months for DD2 (don't work as much) I haven't had any issues, it works great, I have never used anything else though so I can't compare
Old 07-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also have the Medela Pump In Style Advanced and like it. I have used it between 2-5 times/day for 7+ months (and occasionally before that) with no problems.

If you are having problems with a Medela pump, try new membranes on the horn valves.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Spikettes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow it seems like the Medela is very popular.