View Poll Results: When BFing in public do you cover up?
Always 73 18.96%
Never 126 32.73%
Depends on location or people around me 179 46.49%
N/A because I avoid Nursing in Public 7 1.82%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #121
jnopih
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do you cover up when NIP?

I usually use a blanket to cover up, but I just bought a nursing cover because the blanket kept slipping off.

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #122
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamidwife View Post
Never.

I had a mom (yes, a mom! A BFing MOM!) in our homeschool group approach me last year b/c she was uncomfortable with my "nursing style" and another parent had approached her with the same comment.

She just couldn't get why I wouldn't use a cover. She even offered to make me one. And she told me that I was "making myself an occasion of sin for others". I kid you not.

Some people just don't get it.
I don't understand this. She was another bfing mama, which means she DOES get it. I feel the same way. I cannot wait to bf my bean when he/she is born, but covering seems more modest and conservative to me. I DO get it! Bfing is the best thing we could do for our LOs! I just think a cover provides more privacy for me and baby and for my DH. He doesn't want everyone else seeing my breast, and I don't either.
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #123
supergirljennie
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I've never used any type of cover, but I think I'm always discreet. I personally think it draws more attention to what you are doing by draping a huge sheet of fabric over you, but I can understand why some mothers would want to use one.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #124
wanting3more
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirljennie View Post
I've never used any type of cover, but I think I'm always discreet. I personally think it draws more attention to what you are doing by draping a huge sheet of fabric over you, but I can understand why some mothers would want to use one.
In the beginning, before I got over trying to hide, I did use a blanket to cover. I do think that by wearing the right type of clothes, you can hide more of your body without drawing the attention that a sometimes flashy, always conspicuous blanket or cover would. Nursing a baby without a cover can look very similar to holding a sleeping baby. I kinda understand why some mothers would want to use a cover, but it seems cowardly to me. Maybe I don't understand why women use covers...
wanting3more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #125
natalier1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In church or in the stores I use a light blanket or my sling. When I'm at home or with family or friends I don't cover up. If my family is trying to look at my breasts there's a deeper problem than covering up or not lol!
natalier1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #126
raindrop_333
Registered Users

My Mood:

Depends. I rarely NIP anymore, but if out in public (not just around my family) I always at least try to cover up.
raindrop_333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #127
drumerswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never use a cover...I was just never that coordinated to get baby latched while under the cover. I am pretty descrete when NIP. But I also figure if someone has a problem with me nursing my baby in public then they shouldn't be looking.
drumerswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:06 AM   #128
bkwrm69
Registered Users

My Mood:

If I had to, I usually did it in the car, and if people were around, then I would use something lying around to cover up. There are a lot of malls here where there is a "mom & baby" room/restroom where you can stop to breastfeed, but I never had the occasion to use one. I probably wouldn't cover up so much in those rooms, since that is what they are meant for.
bkwrm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #129
lightofhope
Registered Users

My Mood:

I vote cover up in public...but am a firm believer if you come into my house anything is fair game in what you see. :-)

I am totally comfortable with nusring DD, but i am large chested (think like babys head at 4 months is still smaller than my breast), so I don't really want to scare people!! ;-)
lightofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #130
d_suazo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to but then I stopped once I got comfortable with it and DS wouldnt keep the cover over his head lol
d_suazo is offline   Reply With Quote