View Poll Results: When BFing in public do you cover up?
Always 73 18.96%
Never 126 32.73%
Depends on location or people around me 179 46.49%
N/A because I avoid Nursing in Public 7 1.82%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #131
momtoGcubed
Registered Users
Formerly: momtoGsquared
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you cover up when NIP?

I do, only because I have major breast issues (not having to do with BFing) and it makes me uncomfortable having people staring at them.

Advertisement

momtoGcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #132
NavyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do, but then again I'm large chested so when I'm nursing it looks like a pale white vainy blob is trying to eat my child's head. I think if I had smaller breasts I wouldn't bother because I see other women NIP all the time w/o a cover and you can't tell what they're doing unless you're really looking.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #133
riley1mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never cover, in fact I BF at the dinner table as well (yes even at resturants). It is to hard and hot to have a cover on for me and my lo. I am small chested so no one ever sees much anyways. I sat at a graduation and did it with a friend talking to me most of the time and she didn't realize what I was doing until about 20 mins later when my lo woke up! So for me no cover is no issues!!!
riley1mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #134
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if there is anyone around that isnt immediate family, i cover up. breastfeeding is a beautiful thing, but i also dont want to offend others. im not going to NOT nurse because it offends some, but i will at least cover up. ive heard of a mama BFing and trying to offend others by it (she said "im going to go BF totally coverless with my breast out at hooters just to get a rise out of people. if anyone says anything to me i will point at the waitresses and say that theyre showing more than i am") which i think is wrong - IMO that just contributes to peoples intolerance of NIP. i think that no matter what were doing, we should have at least a little bit of consideration for others.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #135
mom2luke&jake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
Let me start by saying that I say this with complete respect to everyone and strictly out of curiosity. I don't mean to offend at all. I find it interesting that so many women choose to cover up only in church. I don't go to church anymore, but it seems to me that would be the one place where you could nurse uncovered. Wouldn't that be the one place where breasts aren't sexualized? I would think that in such a family-oriented place men and women would view breastfeeding as strictly feeding your child and therefore something that doesn't need hiding. I'm not trying to start anything at all and I completely respect all of you and what you have said. I'm just curious why church is a place that you prefer to cover if you feel comfortable NIP uncovered elsewhere. Can someone enlighten me?
Well first off let me start by saying I always cover or go to a seperate room, I do this for many reasons but the first and foremost is that:
Men are visually stimulated (far more than females, its how they are wired) I dont want to be a distraction or a stumbling block for them. I know that they can control their thoughts but why tempt? Besides once my kids are used to it they dont fuss.

Second of all I wish to respect my husband in ALL regards. If he was asking me to endanger my child or something like that then it would be different but I dont think covering is detrimental. Im not trying force anyone to be comfortable with something I just cant change. But I am very happy to see that bf is becoming more prevailant cover or no cover!

And as far as church goes I think its just a stigma you know like dressing up in you sunday best (with a cover) : )
Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #136
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never covered up with my ds he hated the hooter hider so I did what he wanted and did not cover up now maybe if he didnt mind the cover I would have but that is not how it went.. I really really really dont care what people have to say about me not covering up It's my boob and if anyone should be embarssed it should be me since they arent looking so good these days bfing for 16 months really takes a toll on them lol but I have no issues with that if you want to cover up sometimes it helps your lo to fall asleep when your in public since it kind of makes it dark and helps with distractions cause lord knows breastfeeding after around 6 months is hard b/c they become so distractable and the cover helps with distractions
frenchyloveslarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #137
knox6306
Registered Users

I am so modest, I couldn't nurse in front of other nursing moms without covering up.
knox6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #138
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I've only NIP once and I felt very on display. I already get stares because I look like a teen mom. I voted I avoid it because I do...I either nurse in the car or pump a bottle.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #139
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't use a cover up. They bug me. I either nurse with my ringsling or try to keep my regular non-nursing clothing over my skin. There are some times and places where I let it all hang out so to speak, but they are very far and few between. I am plus sized and have big saggy boobs so nursing for me involves holding my breast with one hand and helping my baby with the other hand. So babywearing and nursing don't work really well, but I have learned how to use the ringsling if I am sitting or laying down. ex: I wear and nurse dd at a very popular waterpark here. I also wore/nursed her (while laying down) at the dentist's office last week.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #140
sassyscientist
Registered Users
seller

nope, never. but not bc i have anything against covers - it's just one extra thing to carry around and i can be discreet without one.
sassyscientist is offline   Reply With Quote