View Poll Results: When BFing in public do you cover up?
Always 73 18.96%
Never 126 32.73%
Depends on location or people around me 179 46.49%
N/A because I avoid Nursing in Public 7 1.82%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #71
lebrbria
Registered Users

Re: Do you cover up when NIP?

I completely understand what you're saying and I, too, was shocked at how many people said that they cover in church. I usually sit in the back anyways, in case I need to step out to change a diaper or when my dd gets fussy (church is the one place she won't sleep). I know I've covered in church before too, even though I have no issues with going uncovered anywhere else. I think it has something to do with the respect of being in a church...does that make sense? For example, I know I swear a lot. But when I'm in church, I definitely pay more attention to the words coming out of my mouth, out of respect for being in church. I don't know how else to explain it. What you're saying makes complete sense to me, too. I guess I'll have to remember that tomorrow night in church.
Bri L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
Let me start by saying that I say this with complete respect to everyone and strictly out of curiosity. I don't mean to offend at all. I find it interesting that so many women choose to cover up only in church. I don't go to church anymore, but it seems to me that would be the one place where you could nurse uncovered. Wouldn't that be the one place where breasts aren't sexualized? I would think that in such a family-oriented place men and women would view breastfeeding as strictly feeding your child and therefore something that doesn't need hiding. I'm not trying to start anything at all and I completely respect all of you and what you have said. I'm just curious why church is a place that you prefer to cover if you feel comfortable NIP uncovered elsewhere. Can someone enlighten me?

Advertisement

lebrbria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #72
JicJac
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kids have never liked having blankets over their heads. My dh freaks out when I NIP because of this. You really can't see anything. I wear loose fitting clothes and am basically covered up to <their> mouths. I never tandomed with my twins in public.
JicJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #73
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

yes but only for my comfort level, not anyone else's.
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #74
ohmmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockeh View Post
I don't cover up. It's not like you can even see much anyway. I lift my top up and am more concerned at people see my post-baby tummy than my boob!
totally agree lol!
ohmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #75
gogokim
Registered
seller

My Mood:

With Adam's big head in the way I have no need to cover up
Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #76
sf333
Registered Users
seller

I don't now. In the beginning, when I was constantly working on DS's latch and I was uncomfortable showing that much BB, I did. It's really only recently that I feel comfortable NIP without a cover. But now that I do, I do it anywhere. It's so much better and really, I feel strongly that it's our right to do so.
sf333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #77
Mommy2Be08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I cover up but thats more for me than anyone else. I have big boobs and there hard to cover up when nursing. DS's little head doesn't cover up much yet. But when I first started NIP it was so hard to get him to latch with a blanket over him when I couldn't see what I was doing. We've got it down pat now. But I kept telling DH if he doesn't latch soon I'm whipping it out...the crying was much worse than a boobie flash would have been.
I applaud all the women that can go coverless I can't wait to be that comfortable!

oh and i don't really care about showing my boobs as much as anyone seeing my belly...now thats really scary lol
Jocelyne mommy 4 beautiful boys! Baby#5 Due August 2014 I'm Shaving my head to conquer childhood cancer! http://www.stbaldricks.org/participa...ge/675375/2014
Mommy2Be08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #78
kt~mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: ben***katieh
seller

My Mood:

I most often do because ds has always been very distractable or needing to be burped frequently so he pops off all the time. now that he's older, i'll not cover up, say on an airplane with dh between me and the guy next to us, but otherwise, nothing against it for others, but i am a therapist who works with criminal offenders and would be embarassed to see a client of mine out in public with my family (we keep all our personal info very private) much less with me and a boob hanging out!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #79
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

With DS after a couple of times NIP with a blanket, I finally started doing without it. It was more trouble than it was worth! DS was an awesome nurser and never got distracted.

With DD, my mom felt the need to buy me a BeBe Au Lait, and I've used it some. Mostly because DD has always been easily distracted and won't nurse for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

I always nurse in the church nursery, except if we are there for something other than a service. My DH is a youth pastor, so I've nursed at Committee meetings and planning sessions (with all the deacons and staff) and ladies' Bible studies, the list is endless. Our Pastor and his wife are very supportive, which is awesome. One lady made a remark about me nursing in front of our Pastor's wife, who promptly informed her of the benefits of BF and extended BF!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #80
J9FORGE
Registered Users

My Mood:

I ALWAYS COVER UP IN PUBLIC. IT SEEMS THAT WITH ALL THREE OF MY BABIES, WHENEVER I TRIED TO NIP EVEN WITH A COVER I GET AWFUL STARES FROM ALL KINDS OF WITCHY WOMAN. I NEVER ONCE GOT A RUDE LOOK OR COMMENT FROM A GUY.
I WISH IT WASN'T SUCH A HUGE DEAL TO PEOPLE.
J9FORGE is offline   Reply With Quote