Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a LOT of leftover chicken...what to make with it?

I have a ton of leftover chicken from the 5lber I made the other day. I made chicken noodle soup last night with some of it, but what can I do with the rest? Can I freeze the cooked chicken?

I'm so inept in the kitchen! I rarely cook anything from scratch and this was the first time I ever cooked a whole chicken.

Advertisement

Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
jlkhorn
Registered Users
seller

Re: I have a LOT of leftover chicken...what to make with it?

Yes, you can freeze cooked chicken. I do it all the time. Then use it later for chicken and noodles, chicken fettuccini alfredo, etc. Freeze it in ziploc bags or Vac-n-Seal bags in appropriate portion sizes for adding to other meals.
jlkhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
jlkhorn
Registered Users
seller

P.S. I just noticed your sig. I'm a TS consultant too. I have been since Jan. 03. I LOVE it!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm...chicken sandwiches!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkhorn View Post
P.S. I just noticed your sig. I'm a TS consultant too. I have been since Jan. 03. I LOVE it!
Isn't it sad that I have to ask what to do with chicken when I sell TS? I should be looking up the recipes on there and getting creative!

Seriously, though, my standard routine for ages was pasta with jar sauce a few nights a week, chili, grill some chicken/steak/burgers, and sometimes make baked mac & cheese from scratch. I'm trying to break out of the routine and try new things but it's hard when you're used to not really cooking much.

Good to know that I can freeze that cooked chicken! I'd hate for it to go bad before I use it all up.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

you can also make spaghetti sauces or lasagna and freeze those. Glad that cookbook is on its way... it has some awesome recipes (I never tried them but did flip through the book!)
Old 11-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

bbq chicken sandwiches
chicken pot pie
chicken stir fry
Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
jlkhorn
Registered Users
seller

Since I know you have TS products on hand, try this. Shred the chicken or even run it through a food chopper (be careful not to puree it). Spread prepared Fiesta Party Dip on a flour tortilla, then shredded chicken, then shredded cheese. Add onions or green peppers if you'd like. Then put another tortilla on top and cook in a skillet or a quesadilla maker. Cut into triangles and dip into sour cream or more Fiesta. YUM!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

my favorite is my super easy chicken enchiladas....so easy to make and so yummy!!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
GKTweeddale
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a recipe that most you young ones won't have. It was my grandmothers, circa 1933. They used EVERYTHING back then. Nothing was thrown out. She had chickens, so she had eggs and chicken. So she used an old Swedish recipe called chicken and rivvles. Cook chicken in just enough water to cover. I usually cheat and use frozen chicken breast. But if you have left over chicken, just add some canned chicken broth. You may want to add some water and chicken boullion cubes too. It takes about 6 cups of broth to do. Remove chicken when cooked to cool and cut into bite size pieces. Then make the rivvles. Depending on family size, this will feed about 4-6. Take 2-3 eggs. I prefer organic, free ranging. Add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup water. Add about 2 tsps salt. Whisk briskly. Then with a fork mix in enough flour so that when you tip the bowl the dough will move slowly to the edge. Now comes the hard part. Get your chicken broth to a rolling boil. Hold the bowl over the pot of broth and with a regular knife, cut off small pieces of dough as it reaches the edge. So you should have thin stips of dough starting to cook in the broth. Continue until no more dough. Tip: if you dip your knife in the hot broth after cutting each rivvle, the dough won't stick to your knife. Once all rivvles are in the pot, continue cooking a few more minutes to make sure all dough has been cooked. If you like a little thicker broth, take a small amount of (2 Tbls) flour, add water until thin. SLOWLY add this to boiling broth, a little at a time until desired consistancy is reached. Return chicken to pot. I serve this with mashed potatoes and a green vege. Usually peas. This was my kids FAVORITE meal for years. You can serve the rivvles over the mashed potatoes or at the side. Either way home made noodles with chicken can't be beat on a cold day. Sometimes for a little bit different taste i will add 1/2 tsp tarragon to broth. I think i need to make some soon. Only thing is, my kids are grown now with spouses, so i would have to make enough for five. And if my brother who lives about three miles from me finds out, he will invite himself. With him comes his wife and 14 year old twins. One of which is a boy. That's a lot of rivvles, and holding a heavy bowl over boiling broth. Still sounds so good. Kim <><
Daylin's Oma Christian wife to Greg mother of three, daughter Sarah Beth, & hubby Leland parent to Kalinn 2yr. Matthew & wife Kristin parent's of Daylin 7 & Toby 2 yr. And Rachael & hubby Chris parents to Liam 2 yr. and baby girl due any day.inkbaby:
GKTweeddale is offline   Reply With Quote