View Poll Results: Potty seat or potty chair?
Potty seat (that goes over the big potty) 32 56.14%
Potty chair 13 22.81%
Other, not sure what though just thought I'd add it just in case 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Which is better a potty seat or a potty chair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyCentric View Post
I got a potty chair with a seat that can also go on the big potty. I like this setup because I think ds still feels a little strange getting up on the big potty, but when he's ready to it's easier to clean. Plus the potty chair doubles as a step stool.
Wow, this sounds nice! What is it and where did you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghann8 View Post
I've found all of my kids have been different. Some preferred the seat, and some the chair. We own both, and just let the child choose what they are more comfortable with.
Thats a good point! I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to get both just to see which one they are comfortable with. Thanks!

Advertisement

crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought a potty seat b/c I think the potty chairs are GROSS!! It's like a chamberpot! Ick!
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
No Boys Allowed
Registered Users
seller

We actually use both, simply because we have an 1890 home with only one bathroom ... upstairs all the way at the end of the hall (other side of the house). Not exactly ideal for PL'ing. So we have the cushy potty seat in the bathroom, and a potty chair downstairs for those times when it's obvious they just won't make it to the bathroom in time. Or for when they take the initiative to go themselves, which is always nice too. LOL

I MUCH prefer the seat on the actual potty upstairs, however. Not only do you avoid the far-messier clean-up issue with the chair (not fun, no matter how it's made), but it also gets them used to going on a real toilet. Sort of a must when you're out and about and perhaps need to use a restroom in public, at grandma's, etc.

The one thing I do like about the potty chair is the contoured design. Our first was so tiny when PL'ing, she had trouble going on the flat seats or potty rings, so we tried a few and she ended up being most comfortable with the Once Upon a Potty. There is at least one similar potty seat to go on the regular toilet (by Potty Patty). Here's the link: http://www.pottypatty.com/Patty-Potty-Seat-2.html If we didn't already have one, I'd give it a try.
No Boys Allowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
kimballicious
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted other because I used a potty chair at first, then switched to just the regular toilet once he got the hang of it. I *loved* the Once Upon the Potty one bc it's one solid piece (no drawer to empty and spill, no seams or crevices for germs or waste to hide). Also, it's shaped like a saddle, which helped keep DS's parts pointed in the right direction!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

I put other as my kids just went directly on the potty...they would go in the potty chair in the beginning but all pretty much preferred sitting on the big potty...if you do look into getting a potty chair i really like the baby bjorn big potty!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
haydensmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Definitely a seat that goes on a potty! No dumping, they'll never have to adjust to the 'big potty' & it's going to be a lot easier to clean!

Good luck potty training!!
Old 12-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #17
kristenb423
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I agree that it will depend on each child....if they show a preference then go with it. However, I would also keep in mind that some kids have trouble coordinating the correct muscles for pooping if their feet are not able to rest firmly on a surface (just think about if your legs were dangling freely and you were expected to poop). We are using a potty chair right now and so far so good!
kristenb423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #18
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have both but he only seems to like the potty seat.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #19
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We tried a potty chair with my first son. It didn't really work too well for us. We ended up just having him use the big toilet and having him crouch on the seat facing the back of the toilet. He felt secure. Our second ds did the same. So, my opinion is just the regular toilet is best. They'll have to learn to use the regular toilet sometime. Even though there's those seats that fold up so you can take them with you, there will come a time when there's not a seat to go in the toilet seat and you won't have a potty chair with you either when in public so the regular toilet will have to do.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #20
kiwi87
Registered Users

I voted potty seat, because I prefer it. But, I think getting the potty chair that converts to a potty seat is the best way to go... let your LO decide what works for them.
kiwi87 is offline   Reply With Quote