Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
teething biscuits?

DD is 4 months and teething like mad. Constantly chewing, so I was going to make her some buscuits, or buy some I don't care. What is safe for 4 1/2 months, as in no egg, won't chunk off in her mouth, etc? I don't mind slobbery messiness if I don't have to worry about her choking on it!

Advertisement

daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: teething biscuits?

This website has some great baby recipes, including teething biscuits:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/teethingbiscuits.htm

As far as the egg thing, I don't know ...it suggests egg substitutes somewhere on that page. And I think that just about anything has the potential to break off into chunks, so they should all be eaten under supervision. But my little guy used some that I made from that site at around 6 months.

*Another possibility is to let her chew on a cold wet washcloth. Also (not sure if this one is a no-no) but both of my children loved to gnaw on a cold (even frozen) carrot. Before they had any teeth to get pieces off of it, it was the perfect hand-held teether. I would buy the big bagged carrots (obviously not the baby carrots), wash it, peel it, cut the ends off (freeze it or not) and "Voila" you have a great teether.

* Oh, and we are never without our Hyland's teething tablets!!!

Good luck mama!
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
thumbelinadiapers
Registered Users

i have an awesome babyfood cookbook, that has seen me through 3 babies, and I was just looking up the teething recipe today! Ill post a thread on it tommorrow am w/ recipe, they are awesome, no eggs, they don't break off either,. they are kind of like bread sticks, but hard - chewy not crunchy.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
thumbelinadiapers
Registered Users

heres a recipe for Crusty Teethers, from Mommy Made, by martha and david Kimmel
, it makes 16 sticks

3/4 t salt
2 tbl. olive oil + 1 scant more to oil the bowl
1 t sugar
1 c lukewarm water
1 envelope active dry yeast
2 1/2 c all purpose flour (can substitute 1 c whole wheat flour)

Combine salt, 2tbl. olive oilt,sugar and water.Sprinkle yeast on surgace and let stand until yeast is dissolved. Add flour and mix w/ wodden spoon or hands until a soft ball is formed. (you may have to add a few drops of water if too stiff) Turn out dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a large bowl, lightly coated with the remaining olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap, place in a warm spot, and allow to double in size, about 30 mins. Then punch down dough, and place in refridgerator for 8 hours. (I think this makes it safer for baby? you can use it for pizza dough at this point though ).
Preheat oven to 375, and divide dogh into four balls. Each ball is then divided into 4 balls, and rolled lengthwise into a stick shape. Place sticks on an ungreased cookie sheat lightly dusted with cornmeal, cover and let rest for 10 mins. Then bake for 30 min. or until well browned with a crispy crust.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: teething biscuits?

Cool! I'll have to give that recipe a try. Thank, mama!
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote