Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
momto3under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Possible food allergies?

Am I overreacting about this?
Ever since Hud has been born he has had bright red cheeks. At first they started out looking like bug bites, so we kicked the dog out of our bed thinking maybe she was causing it, they got better for awhile, but now his cheeks are really red, they aren't rough at all still smooth like baby skin.
I am thinking he is allergic/intolerant to something I am eating, but I can't figure out what it is. It will clear up and he will have beautiful smooth skin, then he nurses and about 10 mins later his cheeks turn red. I have not changed laundry det. or body wash since he has been born. It can be hot or cool in our house when it starts. MIL thinks I'm overreacting, but she thought that about Aidan's reaction to food dyes until he started to get crazy with her after giving him red gatorade.
Here's a pic if that helps, these were taken about 30 mins after nursing last night. He didn't go to sleep until 11:30, he was acting like his tummy hurt, but he is always happy never really fussy.

Advertisement

momto3under2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Possible food allergies?

Well, it is possible it is food allergy. It is also possible it is your body wash. I know, sounds crazy, but my youngest randomly started reacting to laundry detergent that we had used for months. I switched for one month because I couldn't find it and when I went back, I couldn't wash her diapers in it anymore.

If he's acting like his tummy hurts, I would assume it is a food thing, not an environmental thing. I would start by taking out eggs or wheat. Then take out the other. You should see a difference within a week, though it might not be cleared up, if it is one of those. If it's not those, I would take out dairy. If you eat any sort of nuts, try taking those out. Those are the top allergens I can remember.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
pantufla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep a food diary for two weeks, write down everything you eat and every time your babe nurses, any reactions (crying, tummy hurting etc). My first is allergic to dairy, and my second to dairy, soy, and peanuts. Neither of them gets red cheeks like yours but #2 gets super fussy and he would spit up all over the place and scream and scream... You can HEAR his tummy rumbling with all the gas and upset. Pay particular attention to dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and shellfish in your diet.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

I agree that I'd start with body wash or something of that sort, especially since you said you've not changed since he's been born..

Top allergens babies react to through mom are actually dairy/soy by a pretty good margin. The other allergens mentioned are indeed top allergens, but D/S would be the most common. Dairy is top -- 40% of kids reactive to dairy also react to soy..

But I'd really start with topical reactions like bodywash/detergent. Food often wouldn't clear up as quickly.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)

Last edited by ThatLinGirl; 12-30-2008 at 03:32 PM.
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
eileenAKAmommy
Mommy to 2 special boys
seller

My Mood:

Keep a diary of ANYTHING he comes in contact with.

BUT, in my opinion, if he isn't itching it, and it's only his cheeks, it's not a big deal. It seems like it would be more of a cosmetic issue than anything.

Could be eczema as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Well, it is possible it is food allergy. It is also possible it is your body wash. I know, sounds crazy, but my youngest randomly started reacting to laundry detergent that we had used for months. I switched for one month because I couldn't find it and when I went back, I couldn't wash her diapers in it anymore.

If he's acting like his tummy hurts, I would assume it is a food thing, not an environmental thing. I would start by taking out eggs or wheat. Then take out the other. You should see a difference within a week, though it might not be cleared up, if it is one of those. If it's not those, I would take out dairy. If you eat any sort of nuts, try taking those out. Those are the top allergens I can remember.
Based on this thread, and the colicky behavior going on here I'm wondering if DD might be having reactions to what I am eating. But when u take out wheat, eggs, dairy and nuts what is left, really?? That is primarily what I eat, along with meat & veggies. What do u have for breakfast in this case?? I have to stick to a high protein diet.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would keep a food diary that documents everything including when he reacts and how "bad" it is. But rashes like that that are as isolated as his are would have me wondering more of a contact issue than food.

I would wonder if he was reacting to your body wash/soap or if you use a different detergent on your clothes or a softener. The other thing, DD is sensitive to temperature changes, so when she's nursing and is close to me, she gets super warm and her cheeks get fire red. Once she cools down it goes away. FWIW, DD does have an allergy to latex and eggs, she's also dairy intolerant.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
momto3under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas.
I am going to start a food diary and see how he does. He does get sweaty when he nurses, but it usually comes on whether he gets sweaty or not. DS1 had food allergies as a baby, I don't think he has outgrown some, but he's so picky it's hard to say. He was ff and had to be on Neocate, even Alimentum bothered him. I would like to eventually get all of my kiddos allergy tested, we have major food allergies in our family.
momto3under2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:26 AM   #9
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegyrl View Post
Based on this thread, and the colicky behavior going on here I'm wondering if DD might be having reactions to what I am eating. But when u take out wheat, eggs, dairy and nuts what is left, really?? That is primarily what I eat, along with meat & veggies. What do u have for breakfast in this case?? I have to stick to a high protein diet.

There are a lot of alternatives. Oatmeal. Gluten-free cereals with rice milk. There are a lot of veggies/starches that are also high in protein (black-eyed peas, for example]. It is doable, though it is difficult. That's why I suggest taking out one thing at a time if you can.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
MammaBx3!
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My baby's face looked like that. Turns out his is brought on with ascorbic and citric acids. Anything high in vitamin C will do it. Also tomatoes. Even juice with added ascorbic acid sometimes! We figured it out when he was almost 2 and eating table foods.

Good luck!
MammaBx3! is offline   Reply With Quote