Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: Senzafine
My Mood:
Facebook and BFing pics

A friend of mine just recently had her account removed from Facebook because of her 'inappropriate' nursing pics (the main pic in question being one of her nursing her newborn dd right after her homebirth, along with her toddler sister). I've had other friends receive warnings as well. I took part in the virtual "nurse-in" to stand up and be counted, but I'm getting pretty tired of the notion that bfing is obscene, and in some cases, borderline ****ographic.

My friend ran a community about informed choice for birth & beyond, and all of her excellent, highly informative and educated posts regarding topics such as episiotomy, whatever you can possibly think of, were removed when her account was.

I am starting to feel like our society has completely lost touch with what is wonderful about life, including the nourishment of our young as a wonderful, special, but entirely NORMAL thing to do. When did the sight of an areola start to get people so up in arms? And why do people with literally ****ographic profile pictures get away with it? What is it about the idea of a child nursing at the breast that is so distressing to the general public?

I've talked to my dh about it, and my own nursing profile pic did show a little of my areola (dd was a newborn, her little mouth could not cover the whole thing), and I basically feel that if someone else finds it a "turn on" to see me nursing my dd... it is them that is a pervert, not me. I am not doing it to be an exhibitionist, I am doing it because it is best for her. And I sure don't try to flash my boobs (or pp belly...) at people.

So, I guess this is mostly a rant about how hyper-sexualized our society has become and how we have lost touch with something so simple and lovely as a mother nursing her babe.

Crunchy mama to Hannah (07/15/08) and Felicity (12/28/10) and wife to J (07/15/06)
Girl #3 on the way for January 2013!
WAHM behind Abernathy Naturals.
mamasewsbest is offline   Reply With Quote