Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
nevsmom06
Registered Users
seller

Arm and Hammer super washing soda?

Do you use this in your wash routine? diaperpin recommends it in their wash*routine* they have posted. Also if you do use it, do you know if the borax wash soda is the same and can be used interchangeably with the A&H?

Thanks mamas!!

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
nevsmom06
Registered Users
seller

Re: Arm and Hammer super washing soda?

Bump! Anybody??
Old 01-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

They are not the same. I use both sometimes... although I use the washing soda more frequently (like in almost every load of laundry I do, lol.)

If you are having trouble finding it, check the laundry section of your local grocery store
Old 01-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

No they aren't the same; washing soda is sodium carbonate and borax, is well, borax. (It's a mineral basically.) You can look them up online to find out more about both. I make laundry detergent using 2 cups each of washing soda and borax plus a bar of grated up Ivory soap.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

def NOT the same...washing soda does wonders for swimming pools in controlling/killing Algae borax does not

AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellemomx3 View Post
No they aren't the same; washing soda is sodium carbonate and borax, is well, borax. (It's a mineral basically.) You can look them up online to find out more about both. I make laundry detergent using 2 cups each of washing soda and borax plus a bar of grated up Ivory soap.
I did the same thing... But I found that the ivory didn't seem to "melt" all the way. There were still sometimes chunks left after a complete washing cycle. Granted: I used a regular cheese grater since I don't have a food processor... Could it be that the soap pieces weren't small enough?

What is your experience with it???
Old 01-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof8 View Post
def NOT the same...washing soda does wonders for swimming pools in controlling/killing Algae borax does not

Washing soda is sometimes sold in the pool section of the store under the name "soda ash."

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybaby333 View Post
I did the same thing... But I found that the ivory didn't seem to "melt" all the way. There were still sometimes chunks left after a complete washing cycle. Granted: I used a regular cheese grater since I don't have a food processor... Could it be that the soap pieces weren't small enough?

What is your experience with it???
I use a sharp paring knife! I had a bar that had somehow dried out all the way and the entire bar crumbled. It was wonderful. I haven't ever seen any chunks that didn't melt. Mine are more like little thin flakes.

This reminds me ... I need to make some more and I need to pick up some Ivory at the store.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote