Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
kedmac
Registered Users

Quick Poll: When did your DC wean?

My DD is only 10 1/2 months and I swear is weaning. We are down to BF only once a day. She has always loved nursing. But now, if she nurses its only for a few moments then she's off and going. I had planned to nurse her for as long as she wants, but she's just not that interested anymore. Still likes our morning snuggle time / wake up nurse. But thats it.

So I'm curious if anyone else's DC weaned themselves before a year? Even in particular, babies who enjoyed nursing. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

kedmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Quick Poll: When did your DC wean?

Wow I have never heard of a baby weaning before a year.....so she only nurses once a day?? What else does she drink??? Are you offering her bottles or sippy's of milk/formula?? I woud lean more towards a nursing strike, she is definitely too young to wean.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: Quick Poll: When did your DC wean?

We're in the same boat as you two. Maddy is 9 months and has ALWAYS LOVED nursing. She hasn't stopped yet but I feel it won't be long. She had 12 FULL nursing sessions in 24 hours not to long ago. Now she is down to like three. I wasn't really ready to wean yet. She will latch on and then squirm, come off and then latch on again and nurse for a few minutes then repeat everything over and over. My supply has dwindled seriously too. I have tried to pump to keep it up but I don't have that much success with a pump. I only get like 4 oz from both. I am a little worried b/c I know she needs more than that and she isn't really eating that much yet either. Just a little cereal and a #1 jar fruit in the morning and a #2 jar veggies for lunch and that is it. She was taking in a little more solids and all but stopped nursing so I slacked up on the solids. Now it's the same deal and she's still not nursing. She has lost weight too. I reluctantly bought some formula today to try her on b/c I know she needs more nutrition than what she is getting and I gave her a bottle and she gulped it down, threw the bottle and went to sleep. I cried until I had the snubs!!! I felt SO guilty!!! So I guess this is the beginning of the end of our nursing. I am still letting her nurse when she wants and as much as she wants and supplementing with formula. I'm pumping all I can to make sure my supply doesn't dry up, but I don't know how much longer it will last. I am so upset too! I was bawling and my hubby was like WTH is wrong with you??? LOL...I am so jealous of that dang formula right now though!!! Oh yeah...for some reason she won't take breast milk from a bottle. So I think I might try and do half BM and half formula to get as much BM as I can get into her. I'm sorry...I didn't mean to hijack your post I just thought you might like to know how it is going with us and that you are not alone. I really wish I knew what was going on with our nursling's!!!! Maddy has always been a/b nothing but the num-nums, now she could care less. It is breaking my heart!!!! I hope you have more success with your little one!!!
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: Quick Poll: When did your DC wean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
Wow I have never heard of a baby weaning before a year.....so she only nurses once a day?? What else does she drink??? Are you offering her bottles or sippy's of milk/formula?? I woud lean more towards a nursing strike, she is definitely too young to wean.
Sorry...hijacking again.....
What do you do for a nursing strike?????? Please.....Someone help me make my little one nurse more...I can't stand it!!! I MISS HER!!! Whaaaaaaaa
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirls2 View Post
Sorry...hijacking again.....
What do you do for a nursing strike?????? Please.....Someone help me make my little one nurse more...I can't stand it!!! I MISS HER!!! Whaaaaaaaa
Here is a lot of good info plus there are links at the bottom of it all with tons of info on nursing strikes, getting them back to breast, etc.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Do you cosleep?? A lot of time when they are sleeping is a really good time to get them to nurse. Also a very good way to get your supply back up.....

Hang in there and don't give up!!! Don't beat yourself up either for having to give her formula....a good mommy wouldn't let her starve. It's only for awhie until you can get her going again. Feel free to pm if you want to chat more!! I have never been there but have had MANY big challenges to overcome since we have been bfing and my ds is 16 months and still going strong .

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
kedmac
Registered Users

Well I have to be honest, hearing that it might be a nursing strike makes me feel like a bad mother more than anything, as if she is mad at me. But the factors that I think lean toward weaning are that she eats a ton of food and drinks from a cup. She still likes her morning nursing, just not the rest of the day. She is also teething now, finally. She has also really taken to her pacifier lately, again I think because of the teething. Humm. She does get a bottle during the day because I work full time. She was soley BF and breast milk for the first 7 /12 - 8 months. At that point I just couldn't keep up, so she got some formula and some goat milk. Now she is only formula / or goat milk, but she is even decreasing the number of bottles she wants a day (no more than 2 / day). Rather than a bottle she gets fed.

babygirls2 I can relate with the guilt around a dwindling supply and having to use formula. Have you tried Fennugreek yet? My ND gave me some and that plus a medical grade pump really increased my supply. Alas, I stopped pumping about a month ago. It just got to be so stressful, that Im sure that was not helping my milk supply. Well my baby is almost 11 months (1 week from now). I will do what I can to make sure the breast is offered, but as a working mom, not always that easy.

Would love to hear more input from others. Thanks for your time. Kristin
kedmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
iheartruiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son self weaned at 9 months. He wasn't interested anymore, and I had only given him water in a sippy during solid meals. I did have a good let down, but it took a long time and he couldn't sit and wait for it. He wanted instant gratification.

I wanted to nurse till at least a year, and I'm still sad about him weaning!

GalleryBlogFan Page!
iheartruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Shawna_L
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartruiner View Post
My son self weaned at 9 months. He wasn't interested anymore, and I had only given him water in a sippy during solid meals. I did have a good let down, but it took a long time and he couldn't sit and wait for it. He wanted instant gratification.
I'm so glad I'm not alone on this...I've been so upset lately. DS is only 8 months and he is so impatient with my let down he's starting to prefer my breastmilk in a bottle. It breaks my heart. It's negatively impacting my supply, despite my best efforts with my breast pump.
Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

babies do not generally wean before 2 years let alone before a year. It is VERY common for a baby to have a nursing strike around the ages your ALL of your DC.

First I would cut back way on solids and bottles of formula. Your baby will not starve if they dont eat well for a few days

Second I would go on a nursing vacation. Where you and you DC spend the weekend or so in a quite plus rekindling your nursing relationship.

Pump or hand express before feeding to let your let down happen faster

Offer the breast OFTEN. Every hour if needed.

Your baby might be frusturated for a few days but will soon be back to the breast.

Also a lot of babies around this age only nurse 5 or less minutes. Its normal

Please please please dont t hink this is weaning. So many moms think it is when its really not.

Get your self to a local LLL meeting and give your Local LLL leader a call.
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel View Post
babies do not generally wean before 2 years let alone before a year. It is VERY common for a baby to have a nursing strike around the ages your ALL of your DC.

First I would cut back way on solids and bottles of formula. Your baby will not starve if they dont eat well for a few days

Second I would go on a nursing vacation. Where you and you DC spend the weekend or so in a quite plus rekindling your nursing relationship.

Pump or hand express before feeding to let your let down happen faster

Offer the breast OFTEN. Every hour if needed.

Your baby might be frusturated for a few days but will soon be back to the breast.

Also a lot of babies around this age only nurse 5 or less minutes. Its normal

Please please please dont t hink this is weaning. So many moms think it is when its really not.

Get your self to a local LLL meeting and give your Local LLL leader a call.

ITA! Very good advice!