Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
garjul
Registered Users
seller

Washing breast?

I was wondering if you washed your breast before each feed? I asked the pediatrician and he didn't really seem interested and said I don't want soap in my son's mouth..but didn't really answer my question. Am I supposed to wash my breast before I let him latch? Thanks for the help

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Washing breast?

I have never washed my breasts before feeding any of our kids. As long as you aren't putting something on it that could be harmful to the baby I wouldn't do it.

I am curious though,did you read that somewhere,or what?
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

you really don't want to use too much of anything on your breasts, even when you shower. they don't need soap or anything like that, as it can be drying. to answer your question, no, you don't need to wash your breasts before nursing. if you use lanolin, that is ok to leave on too.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania View Post
you really don't want to use too much of anything on your breasts, even when you shower. they don't need soap or anything like that, as it can be drying. to answer your question, no, you don't need to wash your breasts before nursing. if you use lanolin, that is ok to leave on too.
that's what i was going to say, your breasts will be so sensitive and raw, you don't want to use soap at all. I didn't start "washing" them until DD was over a year old!! (not the areaola/nipples anyway)
Old 11-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I wondered the very same thing before I had my first! The answer is no. Soap or anything else would just be irritating to you and the baby. You don't need to wash afterward either. Good for you for deciding to nurse!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

No way. I wouldn't even touch them those first 8 weeks they hurt so bad. That said there are lanosh(sp?) breast wipes at the store. Never used them though.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #7
motherhubbard
Registered Users

If you are dirty when it's time to nurse you can clean them with just water and pat dry. Be gentle with yourself.

I know most people might ask how dirty can breast get anyway, but I used to have a turkey farm and they can get really dirty! yucky isn't it
Old 11-12-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
peetred
Registered Users
seller

You don't even want to wash them with soap in the bath or shower b/c it will dry them out. Also, apply lanolin cream after your daily shower, and after every feeding if you are having sensitive, dry, or cracked nipples. Those first few weeks are tough. You never need to wash your breasts before feeding, if you are concerned about bacteria, rub a little hand expressed breastmilk on your areola before feeding, as it naturally clenses your breast.
Momma to Gregory, Ezekiel, & Edward (UC), EDD mid Oct (UP/UC #2)
ISO/IHA
peetred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
garjul
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll stop using soap on them when I shower also. The reason I asked was since I have 2 hairy dogs around the house and never ending supply of milk and DS isn't happy until we are both good and stcky covered with milk, the hair sticks. I'll just stick to water though to keep the hair issue under control. Thanks again!!! I need all the help I can get.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

No, I do not. You are actually not suppossed to put any soap on your breasts as this can remove the natural oils that help keep your nipples from getting dry. The milk that flows out of your nipples also helps with the "cleaning" process and protects your nipples from harm.