Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Jazzmin
Registered Users
seller

Re: CPSIA Laws.

I found this on the govtracks.us site. Looking at the time line and briefs on the bills passage, gov't definitely didn't fully look into the impact of this bill.

"Does this apply to sellers of USED children's clothing? Such as Ebay, garage sales, classified ads, etc. - Show 1 Answer

A1: Yes. Google the letter sent from Cheryl Falvey To Michael Brown or the "Falvey Opinion" dated on 11/14/08 which states all items (regardless of manufacture date) that did not meet the new requirements, would be banned hazardous on February 10. This will include current inventory. The same items safe to sell on Feb 9 will not be safe on Feb 10. It is illegal to resell, offer for sale, distribute, etc. etc items that are banned hazardous."

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
wifemom
Registered Users
seller

well that answers that. So here is what you need to do about your diapers. your seller should have General Conformity Certificates about those diapers. When they sell them to you and you think you might want to resell them then ask for a copy of certificate. Once labeling starts this shouldn't be a problem for resell. This is all my opinion and interpertation.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Jazzmin
Registered Users
seller

I googled the "Falvey Opinion" and all of the info. I am finding is making me so mad Seriously, how many people are aware of this?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

i think it only applies to products that have certain standards attached already
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #15
keithmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found this article. It helped me understand what is going on, but I must warn you, it's not good.
http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read...ost_id=1320853
Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
~Heather~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This law is so utterly ridiculous. What I don't get is say a WAHM who makes diapers....she buys the fabric from a reputable company who has comformed to the laws and guarantees the fabric safe, why on earth would she have to go have that fabric tested and get a certificate herself. It is so wrong. It's almost as if you could say that government is essentially being run by the big-wig corporations. More money in their pocket.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
wifemom
Registered Users
seller

There is a place on the CPSIA website that you can give feedback as to why things should only be tested at the materials level. I also think that things only need to be tested at the material level at least for textiles. i read that link. Since I have only been talking with retailers about this I wasn't aware that I couldn't even give things away. This law is more ridiculous that I first thought!!!!

Last edited by wifemom; 01-06-2009 at 12:49 PM.
wifemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #18
justbishop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Heather~ View Post
This law is so utterly ridiculous. What I don't get is say a WAHM who makes diapers....she buys the fabric from a reputable company who has comformed to the laws and guarantees the fabric safe, why on earth would she have to go have that fabric tested and get a certificate herself. It is so wrong. It's almost as if you could say that government is essentially being run by the big-wig corporations. More money in their pocket.
To preface my comment, just know that I think this law as it applies to things like WAHM made CDs is, indeed, insane overkill on behalf of the US gov't.

That being said, I think the reasoning behind the requirement of testing finished products is that the lead levels in the raw materials may be considered "safe", but once an item, say an AIO diaper is assembled, you're looking at more than just fabric that could be adding to the lead level (additional fabrics, thread, snaps, aplix, etc.)
justbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifemom View Post
well that answers that. So here is what you need to do about your diapers. your seller should have General Conformity Certificates about those diapers. When they sell them to you and you think you might want to resell them then ask for a copy of certificate. Once labeling starts this shouldn't be a problem for resell. This is all my opinion and interpertation.
Most WAHMs will not be able to afford the testing. You will no longer be able to buy custom longies, slings, diapers etc. You'll only be left with the really big companies.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #20
wifemom
Registered Users
seller

Customs could very well be a thing of the past. Think about it. If I crocheted a custom blanket for you. Usually I would sell it for $30 but I have to get it tested for $100. You would have to end up paying $130 for a blanket. No one can do that.