View Poll Results: would you nurse someone else child if needed?
Yes 264 78.81%
No 48 14.33%
Other explain 23 6.87%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #21
heathersgirls
Registered Users
seller

Re: would you nurse someone elses child?

I answered "other" for me it would have to be under certain circumstances and both parties would have to approve....With that said, I gave all of my freezer stash of breastmilk to a friend who was having trouble with pumping enough when she was at work. And I would do that again in a heartbeat...for anyone if they wanted it.

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #22
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post
Before dd was born, I thought, "Of course I'd nurse another child - no problem!" but now that I've nursed, I now how intimate that bond is. It feels strange to think of nursing someone else's child, and even stranger to think of someone else nursing dd.

That said, I would do it if a friend was in need for some reason (in the hospital, etc.) and would hope that if my dd was ever in need, a friend would do it for me. But I probably wouldn't do it just as a normal part of babysitting.
Exactly.

When my twins were first born, my friend from Germany and I (who nursed our kiddos together ALL THE TIME!) "traded" babies once, just to see if they would do it.

They did, but we both felt a little weird, so we "traded" back.

But if someone needed me to nurse her baby, I most certainly would.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #23
mom2t
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myajdw View Post
i think i would feel a little weird about that.....each to their own i guess. i just don't think i could do that.

but yes every baby does deserve the best. i wouldn't be opposed to sharing my breast milk...but i couldn't actually nurse their child i don't think.
I could donate my milk, but never nurse another child.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #24
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Absoultly WOULD ...It might feel a little strange but would for anyone in need. I too would be sad to see someone else nurse DS because of my bond with him, but would want someone to if it was needed.......There has been wet nurses since the beg. of time. Imagine a mother in a thrid world country that can't get formula and has BFing issues someone has to feed the baby....
Old 11-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #25
meredith_mob
Registered Users

My Mood:

You bet I would! I hope someone would do the same for me if I needed them to. B is VERY boob attached (he doesn't care who's it is either, always trying to latch on to whoever is holding him when he's hungry....even DH) and simply refuses a bottle. My poor pump hasn't been used in over 8mths!!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #26
mum0fthr33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would but only if I had permission my sister is due in march and she has asked if she has trouble with her milk if I can help her out I figure what better gift can I give to my sister and my nephew then aunties milk lol
mum0fthr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #27
the_hubby
Registered Users

I can honestly say no, I would not in fact nurse someone else's child.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #28
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

Not only have I nursed someone else's baby, but my sister has nursed my DD a couple of times.

The baby I nursed was a friend's baby who she FF, he had HORRIBLE colic and after 12 weeks without sleep she wanted to try anything to get him to sleep for a few hours. I made a comment that DS was out like a light and I still had 1 breast left to be nursed and how much calmer DS's tummy had been since we got him out of the NICU and stopped the formula they were supplementing with. My meaning was to suggest she look at switching formula, but she prompty handed him to me and said, anything if you think it might work. Well, he nursed for about 45 min like a pro, knocked out and slept for 6 hours!!!! She did end up switching formula and getting the problem resolved, but was so thankful for that 1 feeding that got her first night of sleep.

I have used my sister's ebm for nearly a year, I have a low supply and she has an oversupply (she has donated over 700 oz to the milk bank in addition to the 20oz/week she gives me). I had to be in the hospital and didn't want DD getting formula, so she took care of her for me and nursed her then.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #29
Ms.Doula
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hubby View Post
I can honestly say no, I would not in fact nurse someone else's child.
Silly silly Man!!!

Sling Makin', Doula, & Crafty Christian WAHM & to 3 Girlies
Emily 3/2000(in heaven), Kayleigh 4/2001 & Riley 9/2002
& 1 lil' Guy Gabriel 3/2005 & baby Aubrey 5/2013
B
Ms.Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #30
happyhomemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My sister ended up in intesive care after the birth of her third child. I relactated(8 years after my last child was born) to nurse for her for 10 weeks while she recovered. My best friend and her best friend both also nursed the baby. Just because Mommy is sick shouldn't mean baby doesn't get breast milk. BTW I used milk from the hospitals bank and very little formula until my milk came in. I definitly would nurse for somebody else and let them nurse for me as long as I knew them well.