Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you live in a NON BF friendly environment?

No one in my family is supportive of my natural parenting styles in any way shape or form. I'm constantly getting "do you HAVE do that here" and comments like that when I'm breastfeeding. They think I should hide in the other room to nurse even for small family get togethers.

Also, according to them, cloth diapers are nasty and there is no way I can get them clean and I should be using disposables because they are sterile (that's news to me) all because DD had a staph infection about a month ago. Blah.

When it comes to buying organic food, I'm "wasting" my money because according to them it's all the same because organic spinach was carrying ecoli. Even when I try to tell them there is formeldahyde in their maple syrup and pressed wood...they could care less.

Apparently making baby food is a waste of time and it makes a big mess too, so I should just by the jar stuff.

And it's all my fault I never have a babysitter (who said I wanted one??) because I make babysitting "impossible"

With my first daughter, a lot of their comments took a toll on me. I stopped breastfeeding at 6 months old and did commercial baby food outside of the house.

THankfully with my second daughter I have learned to ignore everything they say and do things my own way!! I nurse wherever I want whenever I want. I always have homemade baby food for DD...in fact I bought her organic jar stuff once and she puked all over after eating it. I cloth diaper no matter where I am, I won't bring sposies with me just because I know I'm going to get the "ewww that's gross" comments. I'm their mom, I know I'm doing what's best and that's the way it's going to be!

Advertisement

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good for you . Im glad Im not alone. I hate when people that dont know anything about CDing say it is unsanitary and gross ect. Ive just recently started making baby food and that is (to everyone else) just another wierd thing I do.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I completely understand what you mean. I just wish they'd watch us for one day, ALL day and see how what we are doing is actually easy and not gross or weird. And I wish they'd to the research and see what we're doing is healthier for our kiddos

Half of the time I wonder if they don't like some of the stuff because they feel a bit guilty for not having done it themselves
Old 11-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #14
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in a pretty BF friendly envorinment. That, or I tend to give off a "don't F with me vibe".

The one time I had problems with a guy giving me "I'm disgusted" looks, a bunch of nuns (no joke) came over and started cooing about DD in Italian while I was still breastfeeding her. It made me think perhaps God is a little pro-bf???
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #15
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

To the OP:
florida has some of the best BF protection laws in the country.....you can legally BF ANYplace in public you go, so no more hiding in bathrooms, okay??

If it is a persons private home, I would simply tell the friend or family member firmly that you wil NOT go to a secluded location to nurse. If you are not welcome to feed your child there, you will not choose to visit there.

Here, I don't think it's great or horrible. I nurse wherever, in a very non-discreet way (not on purpose..you try nursing discreetly with 42J boobs that hang to your belly button and a distractable 26 month old..) and apparently give off some pretty strong "dont mess with me" vibes!
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:58 PM   #16
jillkuster
Registered Users
seller

When I had my first three children we lived in a liberal college town and to bottle feed a child would have been an outrage. I breastfeed anywhere and everywhere. Even while grocery shopping. I'd push the cart one handed and nurse away. We did have a person in our social circle who let it all hang out-and all of us vowed NEVER to be caught dead doing that lol. I had discret down to an art. I also nursed the kids until 3 and four years.
With Ezra, we live in a new town, and for the first many many months of his life, I'd hide in the bathroom to do it. I got such weird vibes here. I can't believe I went from nursing with confidence FOR YEARS (I"ve been nursing for almost 12 years straight between all the children I have.) To hiding in the bathroom.
Now I'm over it and I will literally nurse anywhere again. Thank God.
My husband owns a small Sears dealership store and you can find me right at the cash register Nursing Ezra on my stool.
A lot of people actually talk to me because I'm nursing him and they think it's great. Much diff. than the attitude I thought I was percieving.
My father in law who works with us everyday is HORRIFIED though lol. HORRIFIED. (He's the one who gave me my nursing scars anyway...so ha!)
***Oh yea, forgot to mention, I had utter culture shock moving here.
My husbands family is totally against cloth diapers, and sleeping with infants, and breastfeeding...you know, the whole nine yards. They think it's icky lol. They literally can't stomach any of it.
I've never sassed my father in law before, but one day during dinner I was particularly preg. and mentioned that I was cloth diapering Ezra. He said they were gross. I stood up and RANTED. Then sat back down and ate my dinner.
I think he got the point.

Last edited by jillkuster; 11-19-2006 at 12:05 AM.
jillkuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:54 AM   #17
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I do not live if a bf'ing friendly community. I am really lucky, though, that my family and my husband are supportive. I anticipate a lot of grief from strangers and casual "friends" when NIP but I just don't care. I figure I have to do my part to educate these people, and leading by example is best. I have honestly never seen a woman NIP in all the years I have lived in this area. I know there ARE some that do, because I have talked to them online, but I have never seen any, and I think thats sad.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:20 AM   #18
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I have to mention I fed my neighbor's son a bottle the other day and I was embarrassed looking around wondering if anyone was watching me lol It's kind of weird that now I've become more shy about bottlefeeding in public than nip
Old 11-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #19
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
I have to mention I fed my neighbor's son a bottle the other day and I was embarrassed looking around wondering if anyone was watching me lol It's kind of weird that now I've become more shy about bottle feeding in public than nip
Haha. I'm the same way. My son has to be supplemented and I have no problem when we sit down to nurse. It's when I pull out the bottle that I'm suddenly self-conscious. lol

Anyway. I wouldn't say that where I live is breastfeeding friendly, but I wouldn't say that it isn't, either. I've nursed pretty much everywhere and never got negative comments about it (except from my SIL, and I think I made my father REALLY uncomfortable at dinner at a restaurant once, but he didn't say anything about it). But I've also almost never seen anyone else NIP. I think I just give off that vibe that makes people afraid to say something to me. lol
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #20
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I live in SUCH a diverse area that there are the die hard lactivists and the "ew thats nasty" kinda people. My family on the other hand was all very supportive. I KNOW I would have given up without my husbands help and support. No one ever gave me greif for NIP but I KNOW I put out that dont "F" with me vibe as well.