Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2006, 03:39 PM   #21
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you live in a NON BF friendly environment?

I have a very supportive dh. Matter of fact we were just discussing this last night. I also have a very supportive extended family, however...

My Aunt - she can't seem to understand why I do it (please don't bash her, she has no children and isn't quite all there). She is always uneasy when I start to nurse when she is around. I respect that and will go in another room or cover up if we are out and about.

My MIL - At one point in her life she was a NICU Rn, she too doesn't see why I won't supplement so that the girls can spend the night. She also wants me to cover up. One day she even asked "Isn't there some where else you can go and feed her?" She of course was at my house, under my roof, therefore my rules! She also has told me over and over that after you get rid of your colostrum, milk is milk, and it really won't matter how long you nurse them. She will also bring over a blanket and drape it on me and the baby, after I have said no. Obviously she's an idiot! Oh and by the way, I don't let everything hang out. I have mastered discreetness!

Now about the whole CD thing...dh likes not spending money on sposies every week, so he is game for the whole thing. My mother loves them and has her own stash at her house for all 9 grandchildren! My sister (3 boys) just started with her newborn (the other are pt) and can't believe that he hasn't had a heiny blow out, so now she's in love . But then of course is my MIL...can't stand them, think they are a waste of money, I should spend the $$ on something else, makes more laundry for my already busy life, and says that the rest of my clothes are being washed in poop. Whatever...obviously she is still an idiot! My other family/friends find it neat, but are not willing to try and they admire that I will do it.

So in a nut shell, I live in a BF & CD friendly environment as long as my MIL is not around

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #22
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I definately live in a non-breastfeed-friendly environment. My mother, who is 3000 miles away, is just about the only person in my life who wholeheartedly supports breastfeeding. Everyone else (ESPECIALLY my inlaws) make me feel ashamed for breastfeeding, an ashamed if I should have to do it when Im around them. When my MIL and FIL were visiting when my daughter was 2 months old, they would actually go OUTSIDE the house if I was nursing. How weird is that? And my grandmother refers to breastfeeding as "grotesque" and breastmilk as "nasty".
NIP is not that common here from what I've seen. According to statistics from my local WIC program, over 76% of moms in our local area are formula feeding. I've NEVER seen anyone nursing in public here. EVER. I guess Im all alone in that. I even had my Pediatricians office shoo my away into a cold exam room to feed my daughter after I supposedly made other patients "uncomfortable" when I was nursing in the waiting room.

I totally hear you, and I feel for you. Hugs.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #23
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom View Post
Half of the time I wonder if they don't like some of the stuff because they feel a bit guilty for not having done it themselves
BINGO! I wonder the same thing. It's hard to give an explanation to *why* I cd or bf, without offending my friends who use sposies (um, that would be all of them!), or ff.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #24
newlywaaz
Registered Users

I was given a scratchy paper napkin to cover up my one week old's face while I was nursing in the insurance office IN THE HOSPITAL on an airforce base. The lady asked if I wanted it, and I replied, "if it makes you feel better."

Actually, I haven't had many reactions either way when I NIP, mostly because I don't think many people even notice. Sometimes people mention how content my baby is, and I reply that I give him what he wants, when he wants it (won't work forever, but hey he's only 4 months old!), and they are more likely to understand why I babywear, breastfeed, etc. when they see how successful it's been at raising a happy, healthy baby.
newlywaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #25
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywaaz View Post
I was given a scratchy paper napkin to cover up my one week old's face while I was nursing in the insurance office IN THE HOSPITAL on an airforce base. The lady asked if I wanted it, and I replied, "if it makes you feel better."

Actually, I haven't had many reactions either way when I NIP, mostly because I don't think many people even notice. Sometimes people mention how content my baby is, and I reply that I give him what he wants, when he wants it (won't work forever, but hey he's only 4 months old!), and they are more likely to understand why I babywear, breastfeed, etc. when they see how successful it's been at raising a happy, healthy baby.
I'm active duty. When my son had a check up I was in uniform (he was only a few weeks old) I was nursing at the time and he was HUNGRY. I didn't know what to do... I mean, I did not feel comfortable just nursing amongst co-workers in uniform. Plus there are all these regulations the military has and I am still not sure if you're even allowed to nurse in public with the uniform on. I didn't know so I ended up hiding in the bathroom standing up because there wasn't even a place to sit down. I was irritated and anxious which only made things worse.

Other than that experience I did okay if I was covered. The only person I EVER wanted to see my breast was my husband and baby. I wish I would have found this kind of support when I nursed but I didn't. I was always hiding in bathrooms so that I didn't have to see embarresed faces and dirty looks (even though I was always covered). With my next child I will stand proud and NIP (but still cover myself).
Old 11-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #26
dreamtiger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in Pasadena and I think there are probably those who think it's gross and those who think it's great. In my immediate neighborhood though, we are very family friendly and I'm assuming everyone thinks it's great that I nurse -- at least no one has told me otherwise!

I actually NIP ALL THE TIME because I have to, she nurses every hour. I stand up at church and share while nursing, I nurse while attending meetings at work, I nurse while shopping, nurse while eating, nurse while going to the bathroom :P

the trick though is that I use a pouch that holds her just at the right angle, I put a wide brimmed hat on her head with my hand, and use a nursing tank with a same colored shirt on top, and wah la - no one knows I'm nursing.

I'm sorry about your predicement though I have no idea what'd I'd do if DH wasn't supportive. That would really make it hard to keep going.
dreamtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #27
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Well- my MIL and mother both breastfed their babies, so they are supportive of that. And a close friend bfs. But that's about it... no other real support, although I guess I have it better than a lot of others.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #28
usandthegirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionnecherub View Post
I know what you mean about being discreet. We were strolling shrough the mall one day (while I was pg with ds) and saw a young mama bfing. She had a wrap style shirt and the whole bb was hanging out. Soo, because DH saw that he flipped out and told me he didnt want me doing that. I would not feel comfortable with that kind of exposure anyway, but he doesnt even like it if I am totally covered, because everyone still knows what Im doing. This world is so perverse. I wish there were more sitting areas in womens restrooms, because I can deal with that.
Ask him if he is embarassed to walk into a public restroom because people seeing him will KNOW what he's doing.