Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Daycare for unvaccinated children? Help please

I have a question for any parents that have unvaccinated children and have them in daycare or chose not to put them in daycare.

Both of my children 2 yo and 8 mos. (both were BF- 8 mo old still is), are currently unvaccinated (my 2 yo had a few vaccination but then I chose not to continue with them). I really want to get back into shape because my energy levels are low, I feel sluggish, and unwell in general. It is VERY difficult for me to go to the gym or work out at home on a regular basis due to the fact that my DH travels for his job. I joined a gym that has free childcare while you work out. Would you put your kids in the childcare for an hour or so if it meant improving your own health? I'm thinking that it may help my kids build up their immune system being that they have limited contact with others (we are at home all day). Any advice would be appreciated. (please no flaming for not vaccinating)

Advertisement

tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Daycare for unvaccinated children? Help please

Are you worried they will get a disease there? I guess I am unclear why the vaccination status plays a part.

My unvaxxed son went to daycare from 7.5 months to 3 years. Even now that he doesn't, he is always around lots of different kids in classes and playgroups, at the library- whatever. He gets his share of colds and bugs (no more than anyone else) but he seems to recover quickly most of the time.

I would say just keep their immune systems strong with good sleep, a healthy diet, fresh air and exercise. Then go ahead and bring them to the childcare at the gym if that's what you want to do. Wash hands when you leave and hope for the best. It could be good for all of you. They may get more bugs but it isn't necessarily a bad thing unless they end up sick "all the time" and their systems never get a chance to get strong again before the next onslaught. It's good to do something for yourself!

My naturopath suggested I give my son immune enhancing supplements the mornings that he went to daycare in the winter. So I put a pinch of vit C powder, 10 drops of astragalus tincture and a drop of zinc in his juice or applesauce on those days. Don't know if it helped but it didn't seem to hurt!

Last edited by turtle2who; 01-07-2009 at 12:52 PM.
turtle2who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
rvela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think she's more concerned about daycare centers requiring children to be current on vaccinations in order to enroll and attend the daycare/childwatch. I would assume you need to file your exemption paperwork like you would do with schools. Or talk to the director of the program and see what you need to do.
rvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

My older two were vaccinated on a delayed schedule and then I just decided to stop all together. My youngest is unvaccinated. We won't be doing ANY vaccines at all in the future. The oldest is in public school in 3rd grade and the middle one just started preschool a few months ago and both have religious exemptions. I don't know about building up their immune systems or whatever but I feel pretty comfortable with them in school. Sara is in the Head Start program so it's preschool 5 days a week int he AM for her but almost half the kids in her class stay for full-time daycare. So it's a child care setting. Her teachers do an excellent job cleaning tables before and after meals(they do family-style meals for breakfast and lunch) and they take them outside in all weather(except rain) and even sledding in the winter and swimming in kiddie pools in the summer. It's an excellent program and she loves it so much. I thought about keeping her home but it's clear that she enjoys it a lot and she has been sick only twice since beginning school in October. She had a small cold once and the other time was a pretty serious case of bronchitis that she caught from her baby sister. I think you should visit the daycare and ask about how well they sanitize and what the sick policy is and then decide. Most likely the other children in their class will be fully vaccinated(though they most likely won't tell you). Sara is the only one in her class that is unvaccinated but there are other unvaxed kids in the school.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

oh and getting the exemption at Sara's school wasn't hard. I asked about enrollment and did the paperwork and when they mentioned checking her vaccine records with her doctor, I said, "oh yeah, we don't vaccinate. I need a religious exemption form for her." That was the end of it. I had to sit down with the nurse and sign it while she handed me pamphlets on the currently recommended vaccines but that was it. She said she was required by law to make sure I was educated and aware that I could obtain vaccines at little to no cost if I chose to. I simply stated that it was against my religion and I wouldn't be obtaining them but thank you. Clarification: I do not attend any church and I do not personally believe in a God of any form and we recieve no religious education anywhere. My state, however, does not offer a philosophical exemption.
Getting the exemption for my oldest was harder because she was the first in her school to need one. They had no idea what the form was or looked like and they had only heard of a medical exemption. I had to fight with them for a week to get them to send me one. But once I signed it and sent it back it wasn't a big deal. No one tried educating me or fighting with me or forcing their beliefs on me. She's had an exemption for 2 years and has not once had a problem or needed to be excluded from school for an outbreak of disease.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I already talked to the childcare site and they say that if the kids are unvaxed- it's okay. I guess what I was looking for was experiences from parents with unvaxed children in a daycare or school setting. Like- do your children get sick more often than other children, come down with something that they may not have if they had been vaxed, etc.. Maybe bring up something that I didn't consider or think about. (like- I didn't think to ask about how often they sanitize- thanks faerybugmady and the suggestions from the naturopath- thanks turtle2who) That is the one thing that I love about this site is that you can put a question out there and can get answers and feedback that you may not have thought about. Or- just help confirm something you were leaning towards.

I think that it would probably be good for both me and the kids. I would get to workout and feel healthier, more energetic and the kids would get some social interaction with other kids. I've read that in order for kids to build good immune systems they shouldn't be "removed" or "protected" from all germs. Being that I'm at home with my kids all day- almost every day- they don't have any social interaction or exposure to other children. So- not sure what I'm getting at- just asking for experiences or suggestions I guess....

Thanks for the responses.
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is not vaxed, at all. I haven't put him in daycare(no need for me), but if I did have a need, I wouldn't hesitate. Most things he would pick up there would be a good workout for his immune system IMO. Actually, I would really hope he would get some things, like chicken pox, etc to gain natural immunity.

I think it would be good for all of you.

FWIW, my son does play with other children, and goes to public parks etc, and doesn't get sick more than any other child. He is also still bf'ed at eighteen months though, so I am sure that also helps

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you're worried about the germ aspect, I wouldn't at all. Our DS is unvaccinated and we literally go everywhere all the time. Library, malls, playgrounds, zoos, museums, stores, playgroups, etc. Not vaxing doesn't = staying home all the time because you're afraid of germs.

If you're worried that they'll want their shot record or something, that shouldn't even be an issue. For just an hour or whatever, they shouldn't want anything like that and if they do just hand them an exemption, they shouldn't bat an eye at it.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfletch View Post
I have a question for any parents that have unvaccinated children and have them in daycare or chose not to put them in daycare.

Both of my children 2 yo and 8 mos. (both were BF- 8 mo old still is), are currently unvaccinated (my 2 yo had a few vaccination but then I chose not to continue with them). I really want to get back into shape because my energy levels are low, I feel sluggish, and unwell in general. It is VERY difficult for me to go to the gym or work out at home on a regular basis due to the fact that my DH travels for his job. I joined a gym that has free childcare while you work out. Would you put your kids in the childcare for an hour or so if it meant improving your own health? I'm thinking that it may help my kids build up their immune system being that they have limited contact with others (we are at home all day). Any advice would be appreciated. (please no flaming for not vaccinating)
I would do it. Now that your youngest is over 6months you are pretty safe as far as most diseases go. And after 12months and before 12yrs is the ideal time to get Chickenpox, measels, mumps and rubella. I wouldnt' worry about it. Tharen has been drug from therapy appts to DR's offices, the works, since he was around 6 months old. Kearnan has to have his appts, and I don't have anything else I can do with Tharen so he comes along. He plays with all the other kids, he plays with the office toys, and I don't worry about it. My boys are more likely to pick things up from their cousin who seems to get everything that goes around (and who is way over vaccinated) than anywhere else. But they rarely get particularly sick. Maybe once a year or so. Tharen has Whooping cough right now, and I've got to say it wasn't a big deal. You wouldn't even know he was sick until he has a coughing fit. It lasts under a minute and he feels better imediately after. I wouldn't have even bothered taking him to the DR if I weren't worried about him possibly spreading it to the medically fragile kids who attend therapy at the same center as Kearnan.

If you are worried about them taking your kids, I wouldn't worry about that either. When dh and I belonged to a gym that offered daycare they never once asked if Kearnan was vaccinated. I was unimpressed with their care and we never took him again, but they didn't care about vax status. And childcare quality is going to vary greatly from gym to gym. My friend worked the nursery room for a gym for a while and her kids were vax free. They never had an issue with it and I know she provided good care. I would check the place out carefully, and don't directly ask if they accept non-vaccinated kids as that might make them ask you, but you could ask if they have any special requirements for kids in the daycare. Good luck on getting in shape.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote