Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
audreyh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs up Official Bumgenius Washing instructions, plus stripping, leaking, smell issues

Hi mamas,

I just got this e-mail from Cottonbabies.com today, who are the makers of the Bumgenius diapers. I bought the 3.0 One-size pocket diapers from them, and they sent me the official washing instructions along with how to strip the diapers, and fix leaking and stink issues. I think this will be very helpful for other mamas since you have to be very careful with how you care for these diapers! They are still my favorite, though. Maybe one of the moderators should make this a sticky since so many mamas have questions on how to care for these diapers. Here's the instructions:

bumGENIUS GENERAL CARE INSTRUCTIONS

Thank you for your bumGenius purchase. We want your bumGenius diapers to be great for your family. Here are some guidelines that will help.

It is imperative to use detergents that are free of dyes, enzymes, perfumes, whiteners and brighteners, on your bumGenius diapers. Using detergents containing these ingredients will cause damage to your diapers including elastic failure and leaking. You can find some options on specific detergents by following this link:
http://www.cottonbabies.com/clothdiaperdetergents.pdf

PREWASHING INSTRUCTIONS

To begin, wash your new bumGenius diapers once (any temperature water) with a tiny bit of detergent. Dry warm. Do not prewash micro-poly fibers with cotton or hemp products. After prewashing, some users choose to wash different fabric diapers together, however; washing other fabrics with bumGenius may cause your stretchy tabs to pill and your Velcro to become less sticky.

Store your soiled diapers in a dry diaper pail designed for cloth diapers (a pail with a vent in the lid).

BASIC WASHING ROUTINE

Note: When washing just a few diapers in your machine, you will need to lower the amount of detergent to compensate for a lower water level. We intend these instructions for a full washtub of water.

1. Wash the entire load on the normal cycle, on cold with of the detergent manufacturer's recommended amount. Washing (a full wash cycle, not a pre-wash) once on cold water is important to remove leftover "yuck" (even if it is not solid yet) from your diapers. This step also goes a long way to preventing stains.
2. Wash the entire load with the above-mentioned detergent amount again, on hot - no more than 150 degrees. (For recommended water heater settings, please check your local government regulations.)
3. Do a second rinse (any temperature you prefer).
4. You can dry everything in a warm to medium heat in the dryer.
5. You may use of a cup of bleach in your hot wash routine once a month, without fear of harm to your diapers.

Using the wrong detergent or too much detergent, using diaper creams, lotions, or oils without a barrier between the baby and the diaper will cause your diapers to leak or develop an odor. Washing your diapers every other day is important because the ammonia gases that build up in the diaper pail are caustic and will prematurely wear out elastic. If you are having a difficulty with one of these issues do not worry, these problems are fixable! Simply follow our stripping instructions below.

STRIPPING
Please apply the following recommendations for stripping of specific issues. Be aware, depending on the severity of the problem, you may need to repeat the procedure a number of times.

FOR LEAKING ISSUES:

1. Wash once in hot water with Dawn liquid dish detergent in the original blue formula (yes, it must be Dawn). Use one tablespoon for regular top loaders and one teaspoon for high efficiency machines.

2. Do two additional hot water washes with no detergent, just clear water.

FOR SMELL ISSUES:

1. Wash inserts once in hot water with Dawn liquid dish detergent in the original blue formula (yes, it must be Dawn). Use one teaspoon for high efficiency machines or one tablespoon with a regular machine. Use cup of chlorine bleach for a top loader and cup for a high efficiency machine.

2. Do two additional hot water washes with no detergent, just clear water.

3. Normally, covers do not hold odors as inserts can, however, you may strip them using the instructions that apply for leaking issues. (See above.)

As for rash creams, you may use the type of cream that you feel is necessary, or one that your doctor recommends. You will need to use a piece of fabric (or bumGenius Stay-Dry liner if you want to maintain the same stay-dry effect for your baby) between your baby's bottom and the diaper to prevent the cream from transferring onto the diapers. After use, wash the liners separately to avoid the oils in the creams or lotions from transferring to the diapers through the wash cycle. We have found that the bumGenius Bottom Cleaner works well for bottom cleaning during a diaper change and does not leave a residue in the diaper that will block absorbency. We do not recommend cornstarch or baby powder.

Warranty (when applicable)

We carry a one-year warranty on the bumGenius diapers. It is the most comprehensive warranty in the cloth diapering industry, to our knowledge. The warranty covers all materials and workmanship. It does not cover leaking or smell issues, as these are not a manufacture defect, but caused by user error. We do not have a specific number of washes or a time qualification for the bumGenius lifespan. Some parents have reported to us that they have been able to see two babies through the same bumGenius diapers, while other parents say they have gotten through one year of service. Like any garment, length of wear time varies. The difference is due to a variety of specific issues. Detergent affects longevity, as does as the amount of detergent used, additives included in the wash routine, how diapers are washed, the number of diapers a family has in their diaper rotation, the local area water conditions, and the condition of the washing machine. We suggest beginning with 12-24 diapers in your rotation and adding to your diaper stash as necessary. In addition, you should launder all soiled diapers at least every other day. Following the care instructions for the diapers is also very important. Please do not hesitate to call us if we can answer any questions or concerns, or if there is anything more we can do for you. We appreciate your business.

Kindest Regards,
Angie
Customer Service 1-888-332-2243
angie@cottonbabies

If you have any questions, please reply to this email or call us at 1-888-33-BABIES.

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
jcroche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Official Bumgenius Washing instructions, plus stripping, leaking, smell issues

Thanks
jcroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
lucymae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Official Bumgenius Washing instructions, plus stripping, leaking, smell issues

thank you
Old 03-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
lucidmoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, no baby powder?? Sorry but it's such a pain to have to line these when you want to treat a diaper rash that is most likely caused by the diapers. It may just be a detergent build up but it's indirectly the diapers fault because I would not have this problem with disposables. I get why baby powder could be bad but I'm venting because my poor baby has had the worst rash that seems to mysteriously clear up when I switch her to sposies.
lucidmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
sarah_suzy
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks so much for this!!
sarah_suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
lajackson
Registered Users

Thanks for the info! My bumgenius have been leaking real bad, so i'm going to go get the dawn and try it! Do you know when it says hot water wash...do you not do a rinse cycle with it? Or do you? Thanks!
lajackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
audreyh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajackson View Post
Thanks for the info! My bumgenius have been leaking real bad, so i'm going to go get the dawn and try it! Do you know when it says hot water wash...do you not do a rinse cycle with it? Or do you? Thanks!
You're welcome! You definitely need to do a rinse cycle, too. If you strip them according to the instructions and they still leak, you may need to hand scrub them with dawn and a toothbrush. Did they get cream on them? Or maybe it's a detergent build up issue?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
ariandsofiesmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for posting...This is the wash routine that I have been using for a quite a while...It works great!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just did this to my diapers yesterday. I bought several off fsot that I washed regularly and let my dd wear them, and unfortunately, the stink and leak issues has spread to my other diapers....so my DD spent the weekend in sposies while I stripped the dipes. I will post in a couple of days and let everyone know if it worked!!!
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
laurenteresa
Registered Users

Awesome, thanks for posting this!
laurenteresa is offline   Reply With Quote