Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
chimichanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
what to do with chicken stock?

I have a chicken carcus with some meat on it right now on the stove with some herbs making my own stock. I'm just wondering what to make. Last week I made chicken and biscuits with it, and I have soup all the time. Just wondering if anyone had suggestions what I can turn this into. I really don't want to do chicken & biscuits again.

Advertisement

chimichanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

Re: what to do with chicken stock?

I use stock in place of water in all recipes (not desserts though of course!). Examples: cook potatoes, pasta or rice in stock; use stock instead of water when adding to ground meat and spices to create taco meat; add stock to a roux (butter/oil and flour) to make a simple pan gravy to serve over meat, potatoes, etc.

Stock is wonderful because it adds a depth of flavor as well as provides a whole host of vitamins and minerals. Once you start reaching for stock instead of water, it becomes much easier to incorporate it.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is so much you can do with chicken stock! And homemade is so yummy!

Use it to make risotto, instead of water to make rice, instead of water to boil potatoes, making gravy, in the crockpot to make countless number of dishes
Old 01-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
craezie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

any casserole can be made by making a roux and then whisking in stock and milk to make a sauce. Toss together with pasta, rice, tuna, chicken, mushrooms, veggies, cheese and/ or just about anything else and pop in the oven until bubbly. This casserole is my savior when I have random ingredients that I need to use up.

a standard 8x8 or 9 oval inch casserole would be about 3 T butter & 1/4c flour for your roux, 2 cups stock and 1 cup milk for your sauce, seasoned to taste. I like to make tuna casserole with a onion and 1/2 pound of mushrooms cooked until all water is out, 1/2 pound of pasta, frozen peas and a can of albacore tuna. Grate a little cheese onto the top and bake for around a half an hour.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
Leslie Napastuk
Registered Users

My Mood:

These are all awesome ideas. I also sautee vegtables in chicken stock in stead of butter or oil.
Leslie Napastuk is offline   Reply With Quote