Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is it time for us to PL??

So we have one of those Baby Bjorn potty seats that you can move around the house. We used it to EC when DS was about 3-7mo. We stopped ECing for lots of reasons.

Skip forward to now...DS is almost 20mo. Now, he wants to get on his potty all the time. And if I ask him, "do you have to go potty?" he runs over to his potty pulling his pants off along the way. He gets all agitated when his diapers wet now as well and will start pointing at it.

But, when he sits on the potty, he never actually does anything

Should I keep encouraging this behavior? Do I commit or what?? Is he ready or just curious about the potty seat??

HOW DO I KNOW????

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it time for us to PL??

Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am in a similar situation, but my 20m DD was first introduced to her potty as being a stool and gets bent out of shape when assembled as a potty (as in, "Mommy, you messed up my stool") and then takes it apart and puts it back into stool mode. (She won't sit on the big potty with the insert. I think she's intimidated by the flushing business.)

I have been considering letting her run around bare bottomed (warm shirt and babylegs too since it's cold) in the kitchen and pointing out as soon as she pees, then moving her to her potty chair to help her make the connection. I don't think she's quite ready for that yet, but it's what I did with DS1 and am planning to do when DD is interested in actually SITTING on a potty. I may have to break down and buy her a new one that she doesn't think should be a stool first though.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd just turned 2 and does the same thing but she never actually pee's on the potty. when were at home i let her run around naked and only put a diaper on her for naps or going out. but she still doesnt pee on the potty.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't...pl means child learns the potty her/himself...i let my kids totally 100% pl themselves in their own time. DS was 2 years 6 mo, dd 2 years and 9 months.

I
never deal with accidents, begging, bribing, frustration, gas station bathrooms, wet clothes, etc...they do it themselves!
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog

Last edited by AnnaG01; 01-08-2009 at 10:17 AM.
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
wifemom
Registered Users
seller

He is definitely interested and I would encourage the interest. But he may still be too young to control his bladder so I would be surprised if he could totally potty train at this age. Try asking him if he wants to sit on the potty right when he gets up and after he eats. You may hit a time when he goes and react with excitement. Then you can build on that.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
ajanele
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would agree that he's probably not mentally ready yet, but there's no reason not to leave the potty out and continue to follow his cues. My dd was interested in the potty for probably 6mo until she decided she wanted to use it. She knew what the potty was and what you did with it, but she would just sit on it and then get up and pee on the floor! Finally one day she told me she had to go potty, I put her on it, and she's been using it correctly ever since. GL mama!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
soulyluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i know! i'm with you pp, because we were so good about EC until 15 months when i went back to school and she attended daycare. Not only did our EC routine go up in smoke, but so did using cloth diapers, so she's mostly using disposables now and not very in touch with when she's even wet anymore. i feel sad and guilty about it all, but the convenience for being a single, working and student mom just outweighs the benefits of all the cloth diapering and EC stuff from before.

Now my daughter doesn't even want to be without a diaper!! I ask her if she wants to wear her "undies" at home or be without a diaper and that usually turns into a tantrum "NO! diaper ON!"

i'm not sure where to go from here. I pretty much just let her wear a diaper and continue to change her at home. but it does make me sad that she was pooping and peeing almost exclusively on the potty and telling me beforehand a few months ago, but now... not so much.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like he is interested for sure...I'd keep encouraging him to use it, but not expect too much just yet. I was just reading the other day that apparently the sphincter which allows them to control urination isn't fully functioning until two years of age(fully functioning is probably not the right words, but I am paraphrasing). I was going to buy a potty, but am holding off for now. And with all of the nice woolies and fleece we have...well, I am definitely in no rush for it. Crazy aren't I? LOL

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
lookatreestar
Registered Users

gah my 21 month old has been the same way. she talks about potty and tells when she has to go poop but does not want to be on the potty. if she has no diaper on she only goes in one spot. oh and she doesnt want on the little potty AT ALL. im just not getting frustrated anymore so we went back to diapers full time. (we also did ec)

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote