Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2006, 11:45 PM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Extended Nursers.....???

So what do you say?? My ds is almost 17 months old and I keep getting the "when are going to wean him" thing and more often then normal because I have to cut all dairy and most soy out of my diet. So like for example my mom said lets go get ice cream. I said I can't. She goes "now really how much longer are you going to nurse him?? Until he is in kindergarten?? Oh I am just kidding I really admire you, BUT it has been a long time" Wtheck is THAT suppose to mean?? Anyway just wondered what you say....then I hear the "oh well you're not ready" uhh isn't it about my child?? I don't know I am just a little frustrated. Just curious what you all say/get.

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extended Nursers.....???

Well I imagine once he goes off to college we'll have to stop....jk but then it'll make them mind thier business.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:50 AM   #3
jlkhorn
Registered Users
seller

"Everything is just fine, thank you. When (dc) does wean I'll be sure to let you know."

I ebf dd until 2 yr 4 mo. You can imagine the comments I got. Especially since I come from a non-bf family. They did finally give up after a while and stop asking. Good luck to you. It takes a thick skin to ebf.
jlkhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:48 AM   #4
www.ClothDecisions.com
Banned
seller

My Mood:

DD is 15.5 months old and shows no signs of wanting to lead weaning. I usually say when asked, "I'm shooting for 4 years old, do you think I could go longer and not be arrested?" People get the hint and shut up, well, except my MIL who keeps buying us formula! No matter how many times I throw the cans away RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER, she still doesn't "get it". She did NOT bf either of her 2...30 and 36 years ago. How sad!
www.ClothDecisions.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Hardly anyone knows I'm breastfeeding my 21 month old. Because you know everyone has assumed he's weaned by 1 year old (6 months, 10 months, whatever) so it never crosses their mind to ask if he's still nursing. My family knows and a few close friends know, that's it.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:20 AM   #6
Kele
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm surrounded by a lot of supportive people, at my church and through LLL. My family knows that it doesn't matter what they say, I'll do what I want. I had a huge blowout with family almost exactly 4 yrs ago (on Thanksgiving) when an aunt asked me to cover up while trying to bf my 3 wk old son. I was so new to bf and was afraid he'd suffocate and blah blah and I refused and it turned into a while drama and the end of me being with that family (lots more to the story, but that was the start of it). I will not compromise what I believe so strongly to be the right and best thing I can do for my child.
Family doesn't dare say anything now
Many good, supportive thoughts to you!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:53 AM   #7
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 17 months old, and while she's cut back some with the introduction to solids, she still nurses at least 4 times during the day and once during the night. I've had the "your STILL nursing?" questions asked a few times, and I just answer that as long as she's still asking for it, she'll be nursed. She'll know when she's ready.

If they don't like it, too bad......she's MY child.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:20 AM   #8
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i have only had a few people ask me about it, but my guys only just turned one, so im sure the comments/questions will pick up as the months go by. the most recent answer i gave was "when they don't need it anymore". i have also said "unti they are done". i have a few others at the ready though! one is "as long as i can-i want to reduce my risk of breast and ovarian cancer as much as possible!". no one can argue with wanting to reduce the risk of cancer. i also have said "when they go to college", and a variation of that~ "i imagine i'll have to go to college with jonas!" i just told my aunt the other day that im glad the boys are still nursing because we are flying and they will get some protection from all the germs. i try and work the benefits of extended nursing into casual conversations so people will realize 1) the benefits of it and 2) that it is not something i am thinking about stopping anytime soon. it can be hard to have your beliefs and parenting questioned/challenged. we have to be strong!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
momtomaximusandjackson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not expecting to room with him when he goes to college. That's what I always say!!!!
momtomaximusandjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #10
MilkOnDemand
Registered Users
seller

I say something along the lines of *at least until he is 2, like the medical community suggests * or if the person is just being a smarta$$ I say *no time soon, my dh likes it too.*
MilkOnDemand is offline   Reply With Quote