Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
Monzie
Registered Users

Re: Can you recommend a sippy?

We tried a ton of different sippies with my kiddo before we figured out that only straw cups would work. He just couldn't understand that he needed to tip the sippy to get the liquid out. With a straw cup, he just needs to suck....and he's definitely an old pro when it comes to that.

We like the Gerber Cool Twisties cup because the straw is soft, it has very few parts to keep clean, and it flows easily. But it leaks like crazy when its tipped on its side so its really inconvenient for taking drinks with us when we're on the go. The straw cup I keep in the diaper bag is a Nuby "Flip It". LO doesn't like it as much because it has a bite-valve straw, so its tricky to get liquid out. But it doesn't leak, so its better for when we travel.

Oh, and both the cups I mentioned are BPA free and cheap (under $5).

Advertisement

Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
MamaBink
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the suggestions

Quote:
We tried a ton of different sippies with my kiddo before we figured out that only straw cups would work. He just couldn't understand that he needed to tip the sippy to get the liquid out. With a straw cup, he just needs to suck....and he's definitely an old pro when it comes to that.
Yeah, that was the issue we had with my older son. We tried every kind of sippy out there and in the end we just ended up going with straw cups. I think we may have to do the same with my lil guy too because he doesn't understand to tip the sippy.
L born 01/11
MamaBink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

nuk has a new soft spout sippy that's bpa free. I got one at wal-mart the other day- ds too right too it. I love it!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
takasmom
Registered Users

we like the avent ones because you can take out the internal valve that makes it so you have to suck or not. at first we had to sit DS in our lap as if giving him a bottle and use the sippy WITHOUT the valve and pour it in slowly so he got the idea that stuff comes outta there!! then once he associated seeing the cup with drinking water, we've put the valve in and he LOVES it and it doesn't spill. he is 9.5 months and we only use the sippy for water. he still gets milk from a bottle. hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son did great w/ the straw cups.....my 2 daughters just took a long time to figure out how to drink out of the straws.

We haven't had any leak issues w/ the nuby sippies.
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.diapers.com/Product/Produ...productId=6755
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #17
cupcakesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by takasmom View Post
we like the avent ones because you can take out the internal valve that makes it so you have to suck or not.
I like the avent too, BPA free. we also have an stainless Klean Kanteen and the avent valves fit into those.

http://www.wildflowerdiapers.com/sto...idCategory=475
#2 surprise due in Nov 2014

Last edited by cupcakesmom; 01-10-2009 at 05:37 PM.
cupcakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I like the Avent too. A couple of my kids had a hard time using a sippy until I got them one of those. Once they figured it out and got used to it, they could use the other sippies we had, which were Gerber.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #19
eco-baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm we have tried so many! Klean Kanteen, Foogoo (Thermas), Gerber, Playtex (sippy) and a bunch more I think I will check out the Nuby for water and the straw ones for milk and stuff - I think my DS just doesn't like cows milk though, he's not allergic or anything I think he just doesn't like the taste..anyways it's something I'm looking into to - not just for weaning (he's 10 months) but for while we're out and stuff - he's never had a bottle and he won't take a sippy which means no dates nights for us yet I think the straw willwork well I had a spill proof sports bottle for my DD it was awesome but I haven't seen them in years...
Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #20
mama_trollie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use the avent sippies, with the white soft tips. They look like rocket ships and dd seems to like them better than the graduates one we tried before.

ISO Hyenacart yarn or?
mama_trollie is offline   Reply With Quote