View Poll Results: do you cover up while NIP?
Yes 47 33.81%
No 83 59.71%
Other explain 9 6.47%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
do you cover up while NIP?

Ugh we were out at dinner tonight and I was nursing lily and my mom kept staring. I said what are you looking at? You should be covered up she said. That makes me sooo mad! Now I do cover my nipple before latching lily on or if she pops off (im super quick) but if she is nursing I will NOT cover her face up. If I do she squirms and screams which makes what im doing more noticable. I used to cover up w/ lily was little but thats b/c I thought she was cold not b/c of not wanting people to see. Heck today I was walking around in sears w/ lily in the MT and she kept poping on and off. I didn't care!

What do you do?

Advertisement

MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: do you cover up while NIP?

I try to while latching on, but its usually worse and ackward if I try to cover up too much. I dont see what peoples problem is.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Termie
Registered Users
seller

Nope. He won't latch if he's covered. He's 11 days older than Lily and was like that from the time he was a newborn.

I always figure if we are in a public place (waiting room, restaurant, shopping mall, etc)... there are likely at least 600sqft and upwards of THOUSANDS of square feet. If they feel the need to stare at the .75 sqft that my child's head and breast take up.... that is ENTIRELY their problem.

They'd be offended if I took to staring at their chest WITHOUT a baby on it... so what gives them the right to STARE at my chest and my baby uninvited???

noooooooooo I don't get irritated easily
Old 11-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termie View Post
Nope. He won't latch if he's covered. He's 11 days older than Lily and was like that from the time he was a newborn.

I always figure if we are in a public place (waiting room, restaurant, shopping mall, etc)... there are likely at least 600sqft and upwards of THOUSANDS of square feet. If they feel the need to stare at the .75 sqft that my child's head and breast take up.... that is ENTIRELY their problem.

They'd be offended if I took to staring at their chest WITHOUT a baby on it... so what gives them the right to STARE at my chest and my baby uninvited???

noooooooooo I don't get irritated easily
You make an awesome point. I actually like when people stare. B/c then I give them the WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT look KWIM?
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:

I do, but it's more a comfort thing for me. I am a very shy, reserved person, and just feel more comfortable being covered up. Thank goodness my daughter doesn't mind!

Good for you guys for not caring what other people think! It took me a long time to even be able to do it covered up! I used to go out into my car!

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, and I've never had a problem with it either. Only one time i I atch someone staring an it was a maybe 12-13 yr boy. Well his mom caught him too an whacked him.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

I used to, but as of today I stopped! DD (15 days younger than your Lilly) gets uber frustrated when she's covered and I don't blame her! I certainly wouldn't want to eat with a blanket over my head! So, today while we were in the waiting room at the Dr.'s office I fed her with nothing covering us. I had a zippered sweatshirt/jacket with a t-shirt underneath. I just unzipped the jacket, lifted my shirt and latched her on. You couldn't see anything and there were a few men scattered throughout the room and I don't think they even noticed.

No more covering up for us!!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

I don't but it's usually because I forgot to bring a cover up. I also tend to nurse in the car alot, not because I don't want to nurse in more public places but because it's more comfortable. I can recline the seat, my other kids can sit comfortably in their seats, I can run the AC or the heat, it's a familiar place so dd isn't popping off constantly to look around at people passing by or just to look around....it's just easier for me. But when I do nurse in restaurants and stuff, it's usually without a cover.

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

nope, never have. i always wear a glamourmom nursing tank under my shirt, so you can't see anything. when i figured out this combination, i could nurse anywhere, in front of anyone!
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:13 PM   #10
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

I dont cover up and really dont think anyone sees anything. Its harder to try and juggle baby, boob, and a blanket too, it always ended up falling off anyway. Plus, a big blanket seems to signal "nursing baby under here" lol.
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote