Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Good Simple Crochet Hat Patterns that Start at the top?

So I got this teal alpaca wool hat a few years ago and it's too floppy and big on me so I don't wear it. I've been considering taking it apart and crocheting up a replacement hat to the size of my current favorite hat that is starting to look shoddy. I'm mostly nervous that I'll run out of yarn, I know to use a larger hook so the yarn will go farther and it will end up smaller overall too which should help -- and it's not like I'm using it anyway as it is -- I figure worst case I could turn it into a hat for one of the kids.

Also do you know a free simple crochet hat pattern that starts at the top and works down. I think that would be better than the alternative, even using the foundationless stitch. Also any idea what the stitch would be called or the best way to attach a second layer (the orange layer)? I haven't tried crocheting a hat since I first learned, trying to make baby hats before my first was born, none of them were usable (all bottom up with chain stitch and no model to try them on).

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. DESTASHING HERE!

Last edited by Pixi6s; 10-30-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Good Simple Crochet Hat Patterns that Start at the top?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hat-set-alicia Are you on raverly? If not it is free to sign up. Then just search for top down hats. I found tons of them. Not sure what you would consider easy though.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah i went and started poking around... there are SO many patterns there it's hard to know if they are really good or not , I choose one, I have enough "tester" yarn I figured I'd do a few rows and see.

thanks!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. DESTASHING HERE!

Last edited by Pixi6s; 10-30-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:58 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I consider this one simple
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...per-simple-hat
Old 11-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

That looks like a nice simple pattern. Should work up quick.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

AHH I took apart the hat today, no stopping now.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

You can do it. Just post if you run into any troubles.