Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Any non-Christian moms or dads with large families?

Just seeing if there are any Non-Christian moms or dads with large families. I seem to always come across the same 2 questions....

Are you Catholic or Born again?
Are you Mormon?

Not that I find anything wrong with having a large family if you are of Christian Denomination, but I have 5 kids and we are TTC#6 now, and not raising our children in a Christian way. DH and I are practicing Buddhist and our children are interested in many religions, but religion never plays a part in how we raise our kids. We dont consider Buddhism a religion, but a way of life.

Some times I feel left out, because all the large families I know are large because of religious reasons and I never seem to have any thing in common.

So, if you are raising a large family and have no Christian religious preferences, post your story on how and why you became or are becoming a large family!

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any non-Christian moms or dads with large families?

I was raised in a church of christ and dh was raised a catholic but neither of us follow religion now. We have 8 and are not doing anything to prevent more
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
esaesa
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have twins, so no on the large family part. But I've read posts elsewhere of non-christian parents, especially if they un/homeschool, going through what you talk about. Like having a large family is akin to Christianity any more than a small family.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I came from a family of 5. We visited many differnt places of worship as a child but never chose to follow any of them. I do not identify myself as a Christian. I always thought I'd have 3 children . Our large family just happened. We always get asked the same questions..."Are you Catholic?".... "Are you Mormon?". My dh is Christian but doesn't attend organized religious services anywhere. Our 22 yr old attends a Christian church. Our 13 yr old dd does too but she also visits her friends Mormon church with her weekly and has done so for years. She also goes to camp with her every year. So no our religious beliefs have nothing to do with the number of children we have.

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we're extremely liberal christian. Though according to belief.net Dh best matches with liberal Judiasm and I match mostly with liberal quaker Religion plays an important part in my personal behavior and general way of life, but we don't really have a denomination, just our own personal beliefs. We answer our kids questions when they ask and tell them what we believe but that when they are older they can find what best works for them. I believe most paths lead to a higher power/creator/god, we just get there in a different way.

I really don't know if religion has an impact on our desire to have a large fmaily. I mean I had an IUD and was having serious moral issues with it from my own belief standpoint and we don't want to do anything permanent, but we don't want a large family just because it's our religon.

My family thinks I'm crazy enough for having 3 and not having my tubes tied after #2.

We just want a large family cause we like kids, and I have a need for chaos.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here! I am agnostic and DH is athiest. We are planning on my kidlets down the road too. I've haven't been asked yet about our religion, maybe because people just assume we are religious??
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller

I have 5 and for the most part attend a non-denominational church. I was raised baptist but w/ or w/o the kids didn't feel like the church I attended was the perfect fit.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
RobertsMomma3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm Catholic, my twin DD's were baptised Catholic but so far we haven't baptised my son and my DH isn't baptised to a religion. We don't go to church on Sunday or anything.

I would go to church but I haven't found a church that I am comfortable in. Most Catholic churches that I've been to have been revolved around money, and it made me very uncomfortable.
RobertsMomma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:45 AM   #9
ijgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So glad to have found this thread!
I am jewish, my husband is agnostic. Although our kids are bring raised jewish, we are *very, very* secular. We are not having lots of kids for religious reasons, we just like having our children. Plus my husband's job (military) is such that we are able to have lots of kids and not have to worry about health insurance or my husband losing his job due to downsizing. We'll probably have 1 or 2 more.

Last edited by ijgirl; 01-17-2009 at 02:47 AM.
ijgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
mammaof??
Registered Users

My Mood:

My husband and I were both raised Catholic but are not religious at all in our adult life. I identify myself as spiritual and not religious. We were "married" by my friend who got ordained on the internet. We have 7 kids b/c like others have said, we love our kids and our lives are so much richer for their presence. We may/may not be "done". It will be our decision to stop.

Mama to my amazing 8: 9, 7, 6, 4, 4 2, 2, AND Newbie, born 5/30/11- last 6 all born at home. Loving the babymoon!
mammaof?? is offline   Reply With Quote