Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
ahnah74
Registered Users

Re: Any non-Christian moms or dads with large families?

i've met several people who aren't religious who have large families. my dh and i are from large families and we have one. yes, we're mormom. we liked coming from a large family, it was fun. that's why we decided to have a large family. we have the income to suport and provide for them, they may not get all the cool, expensive stuff that their friends from small families get but they do get fun things.
even i ask the are you catholic or mormon question myself. i think the reason is that in this day and time, the world as a whole doesn't believe in having more than 2-3 kids. as i'm sure you've prob. experienced, there are too many people who look down on large families. whereas in my grandparents time it was the norm. reguardless of your religious persuasion. so it is rare to find people outside of religion, in this day and time, who have large families just because they enjoy it.
i think if you have a large family you have a lot in common with other large families reguardless of their religion. we all have chore, laundry, and other problems that come with having large families and we can all learn from each other IMO.

Advertisement

homeschooling SAHM to: karina-11 , cosette '98 (my angel), wayne-9, gabriel-7, nathaniel-5, talia-3, kaiya-10.5 mo. BF
ahnah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
5IrishBabes
Registered Users
Formerly: FeliciaM07
seller

My hubby and I were married in a Catholic church and all 5 of our children have been christened in the church. But, seriously we are not practicing Catholics. Those are the only times we have been to church in the last 7 years. We teach our children at home what we want to teach them. Our religion has nothing to do with how many children we have. I get asked all the time if we are Catholic. I also get asked all the time if we are Irish. Which we are. lol
5IrishBabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
mommyfrog
Registered Users

We were both raised religious (same religion) but are not practicing now. We still believe in the Bible and teach our kids (or at least try to!!) bibical morals. But our religion had/has nothing to do with how many kids we have.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
EmpressPurl
Banned

My Mood:

I wouldn't say I'm not religious as I think I'm a very spiritual person but I'm not Christian. DH was before we married, but I think my heathen bug bit him.
EmpressPurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #15
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

Last edited by OrangeBananas; 08-25-2009 at 10:20 AM.
OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #16
luvingmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

neither dh nor I are very religious- he is agnostic or athiest (imho hes confused lol) and I am a non-christian religion- Our children are raised with no religion.

Reason we have a big family?

it's the mystery of the world I guess :

We love children LMAO! We truly enjoy our children every day and if we could afford it and my health could sustain it we would have another 10.
I have quite a few "Good" quality Large or one size Diapers I am parting ways with... If you are looking for cheap used diapers sbees,hh, bb, and more pm me and i will make you a list! I still have some newborn/smalls left in GREAT condition too! We are homeschooling, natural birthing, extended nursing, baby wearing, co-sleeping family with FIVE BOYS.... who thinks all families are attached whether they do these things or not
luvingmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #17
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to have a "large" family (5 kids) but not sure if I can. Infertility, special needs kids, and my own health have prohibited me from going for #3. Both DH and I come from 4 kids and right now our 2 seem like 15!
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #18
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

DH was raised in a very religious, born again family and I was raised by two non-denominational Christians who didn't focus on religion at all. DH and I now are agnostic (if anything, DH is slightly more leaning toward atheist). We don't want to bring our children up with a set religion, but want them to learn about many different religions and choose what speaks to their heart when they're old enough to make that choice... if they choose anything at all! It's hard sometimes, because DH's family is SO Christian... one of his aunts just sent me an email the other day telling me that she knows the only way to heaven is through Jesus and that in his heart my DH still believes that (except, you know... he doesn't) and that it's only me who has a deep aversion to scripture. There's just no rationalizing with them sometimes.

We only have two now but we joke about ten (in reality we'll probably have 4-6). It has nothing to do with religion or "God's plan," but rather our desire to love and nurture many children. We already know we want number three, and after that baby is conceived and born, we'll reevaluate our situation to make sure we're in a place to emotionally, financially, and physically support number four, and go from there. And so on and so on. We're leaving our family size up to biological nature and NFP.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
mamax3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I "only" have 4 but I get the same questions for some reason. I guess they think we're not preventing since the kids are so close? I dunno.

I had my twin girls when I was 18, they are 4yrs old now. My next daughter is 3, and my son is 15 months. We've been married since before the twins were born... don't plan on having any more, strictly for financial/lifestyle reasons (we travel around the USA for my husband's job very frequently, like every 3 months or less).

We aren't religious and neither of us was raised with religion in our lives. I'm about to be homeschooling our oldest this year and I am having a hard time finding homeschoolers who are not Christian... anyway, that's us! The girls are yelling at me so I have to cut this post short.
6 on the road

Last edited by mamax3; 05-03-2009 at 11:30 AM.
mamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
epernat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think its funny that people are still asked the Catholic question. I am a practising Catholic and I have the biggest family (of my peers) in our church. I only have four! I do know some catholics with large families, but I don't think it meets the sterotype anymore.