Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Help me use my ground beef

My grandparents always buy beef by the cow and split it within the family. Well I have about 10lbs of ground beef frozen in 1lb packages. I need recipes or ideas to use it. We've done tacos, meat and tomatoe sauce, and soppy joes and of course hamburgers. What can I do with it? Does anyone have a great meatloaf receipe? Thanks so much.

-SAHM to Kael(9/25/02), Ella (4/25/06) and Luka (3/12/08)
Mila Jolie arrived 7/21/10
KaelsLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Help me use my ground beef

i'm a bush cook (or was before becoming a SHAM!) and all my old, fussy, bush guys ever wanted was my meatloaf! sorry, but i don't know exact measurements. and this is only a rough outline for meatloaf- its really flexable so feel free to add a little of this or change a little of that!

1lb ground beef
1cup quick oats
1 egg
1 cup chopped onions
yellow mustard

mix is all up in a big bowl. if you have picky onion eaters, fry the onions up in a frying pan first to get them a bit softer. pack down in a sprayed or buttered pan. cook for an hour (watch closely though, i'm not exactly sure, and hour might be too long) at 350. remember: you can't mess up meatloaf, its pretty flexible stuff! if you want you can top it with a mix of ketchup, mustard and a pinch of brown sugar 15 min before you pull it from the oven.

also try "hamburger helper"
ground beef
condenced tomato soup

or lasagna

or enchilladas

or salsbury steaks

or chili

if you have any questions or need any more ideas just ask! happy cooking!

(i'm a vegetarian btw. but the boys i cooked for were meat eaters through and through!)

meagan, SHAM to lola (10.15.08)
melaoshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

for meatloaf I just toss in some break crumbs, ground beef, 1 egg, salt, pepper and some Mrs. Dash (teal colored top..can't remember flavor), garlic salt. Mix and cook on 350 for about 1 hour.
It's yummy. You could add whatever seasoning you like. Just add the egg and bread crumbs to hold it all together.

I also do hamburger steaks with onion gravy. They're good. Just broil the burgers until done and make a gravy. slice onions, cook until transparent in 2 tbsp of butter. Add 1 1/2 tbsp. flour and cook about 2 minutes. Slowly add 1 1/4 cups beef broth and stir..cook until thickened. Serve immediatel.
Amanda: mommy to DDs Alyssa and Trinity (ADHD) and DS Joseph "LJ" (aspergers, ADHD) and my fur baby Bella Rae Wife to Joe
AVDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

We do a "sweet" tasting chili that originally we had with venison at my SIL's house, but have been doing it with beef. I love this recipe because we buy beans when they are in sale, and then end up with way too many cans, and we never finish our salsa before its about to expire, so this helps.

2 lbs ground meat (elk, deer, beef)
1/2 1 large onion chopped (about a half cup)
3-4 spoons of minced garlic (or 3-4 cloves, minced)
1 can (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes ( I do two cans)
1 cut up fresh tomato
2 cans (16 ounces) baked beans, 1 undrained (I am using Bushes Baked)
6 tablespoons salsa
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (or onion salt)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup hot water
1 can black beans

Brown ground meat, in a skillet. Drain fat if needed. Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Cover and simmer on high for two hours. The longer it simmers...the better it tastes.

Serves 6
Our family of three
Me (27) the social worker who loves all the research together for 10 years!
DH (29) the "in college for all eternity to teach at college" (oh the irony!) &
DS 12/3/08 (poor guy-he'll be like 8 by the time we're done with school ourselves!)
KitCatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

search for "yes virginia there is such a thing as great meatloaf" on

I also have a great recipe for sour cream enchiladas. Just cook the beef and mix with one can refried beans. Then take one 16 oz container sour cream, 1 can cream of mushroom and one can red enchilada sauce and heat in a pot to combine. Then roll a little of the meat/beans mixture in each flour tortilla (I use the burrito size ones and do 12). Cover with the sauce and top with cheddar cheese and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I make it with sweet rice - instant white rice with a few T. butter and sugar mixed in. SOOOO yummy!
Crunchy Christian liberal and WAHM to my two crazy superheroes, River (10/06) and Rainn (4/09), and my sweet Briar Rose (7/12). For Sale: Girly side-snapping Mutt and DnF fitteds, Maya Wrap.
Riverdavidsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

Beef stroganoff, lasagna, baked ziti, enchiladas, salisbury steak, I mix a box of stuffing in with th ground beef, egg and onion. Make some gravy to put on top, Yum
We go through 10lbs of ground beef in 2 weeks here easy! Faster if we have guests!
My husband makes AWESOME Survival Bracelets
angelnavywife is offline   Reply With Quote