Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #121
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm a Tide Convert.

Well I used Tide HE in my top loader & no rash. Do they usually get the rash asap or does it take awhile to come on?

Advertisement

P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #122
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyv View Post
I'm still a little concerned/confused about the free. vs. regular question. I had read that the free detergents often have UV brighteners as additives and can cause diapers to be less absorbent. I have sensitive skin and would prefer to use tide free (since that's what I've always used for myself) but am concerned about the additives and the absorbency issue. I guess with so many people raving about using tide free that they haven't experienced reduced absorbency in their dipes.
-V
I have more information about this in my blog in my signature, but basically, here is the truth.

Most commercial detergents have optical brighteners which can cause buildup and which also bind to the skin.

Tide Free liquid does not have optical brighteners. All versions of Tide powder do have optical brighteners.

The brand "All Free Clear" has a special ingredient that kills fungi and microbes, and this can cause buildup. But other free/clear detergents don't have this.

Tide and other commercial detergents are made with petroleum and natural detergents are made with palm/coconut oils. But to get those oils, they are clearcutting the rainforest and only replanting the palm trees, thus killing the other species and destroying the biodiversity. So it is a tossup as to which is better for the environment.

Tide says all of their detergents, liquid and powder, are septic-safe, but our water guy says only to use liquid.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #123
megamuffin0225
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalin26 View Post
Yes this! I love the way Tide cleans, but I can't stand the regular smell. Are any of the other scents better? We used CC and it just doesn't cut it on our laundry. I loved the smell though. I want my diapers to smell of nothing
Was this with the powder or liquid? I can hardly smell anything when I use powder. I think the liquid is much more pungent.
megamuffin0225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #124
Stacy'n'Kids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin View Post
Just washed my first load of dipes in Tide Free powder yesterday. So happy to say they smell clean (no smell at all actually) and look/feel clean. It didn't require umpteen rinses either. Just washed a full cycle on cold (with 1/2 to line 1), a full cycle on hot, and one cold rinse. I am just waiting today though to check her bum to make sure she doesn't develop a rash as I've read a few posts where some poor LOs had a bad reaction (although I can't remember if mamas used Tide Free). So far so good though.

If it stays this easy and we don't have any or too much build-up, then I think we can do it! I was this close to giving up as washing seemed too hard and time consuming, and the smell of the dirty dipes was so nasty. And thanks to one particular mama (Stacy I think) for letting me know that just because a detergent is recommended doesn't mean it works for everybody! Country Save didn't work for us, and I'm hoping I'm a Tide convert!!

I hope it stays easy for you, too!!!
Stacy'n'Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #125
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I LOVE tide with baking soda. It is pretty much all I have ever used since it came out!! Right now I am loving Simply clean but when I run out will be going back to tide if I dont get more simply clean
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #126
Stacy'n'Kids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamuffin0225 View Post
Was this with the powder or liquid? I can hardly smell anything when I use powder. I think the liquid is much more pungent.
After you use a detergent for a while- especially on your clothes- you become accustomed to the scent of it on your clothes, and you smell nothing. When I first started using Tide on my diapers, I smelled them coming out of the dryer, and they smelled like Tide. Now, when I pull them out of the washer, I barely smell anything. It's not that the detergent is now rinsing cleaner or not leaving a scent behind, it's that I can't smell it anymore!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #127
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Was reading PP about all Tide powders having optical brighteners that can end up causing build up and repelling. Have any of you who DO use the Tide powder actually experienced this???
Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #128
Stacy'n'Kids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BabyUnit View Post
Was reading PP about all Tide powders having optical brighteners that can end up causing build up and repelling. Have any of you who DO use the Tide powder actually experienced this???
I've only been using Tide for a month, so I can't talk about long-term... but I have NO problems with repelling or build-up like I did with all the other detergents I tried!

And I've read LOTS of mamas saying they have used Tide for years (2-8 years) with no problems with their diapers at all. So I'm not worried.

ETA: It seems like the manufacturers are saying this about the build up and repelling... But I have YET to see an actual person who uses Tide complain about build up or repelling! Plenty of people complain about repelling with other detergents, but not with original Tide.

Last edited by Stacy'n'Kids; 01-21-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #129
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I think I'll chance it and continue using the powder. I guess if I find out it's causing problems, it won't kill me to strip them and move on to the liquid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy'n'Kids View Post
I've only been using Tide for a month, so I can't talk about long-term... but I have NO problems with repelling or build-up like I did with all the other detergents I tried!

And I've read LOTS of mamas saying they have used Tide for years (2-8 years) with no problems with their diapers at all. So I'm not worried.

ETA: It seems like the manufacturers are saying this about the build up and repelling... But I have YET to see an actual person who uses Tide complain about build up or repelling! Plenty of people complain about repelling with other detergents, but not with original Tide.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #130
import_the_best
Registered Users

My Mood:

my poor baby girl's bum is looking like it's got a chemical burn on it , at least that's what i think, maybe i'll try post a pic to get your opinions. we've been using CC (no scent in ours). i hadn't thought it might be the detergent until my IRL DSmama friend suggested it might be the CC.

when i get DS from school i'm going to take the kids to the store to get some tide free powder, i hope the commissary has it. ican't do the scents, makes me feel sick and the scent makes me run out the laundry room coz my lungs freak out and can't handle me breathing it in , we use all f&C for our clothes.

i bought some sposies to use on DD (we were almost out of the ones given to us) with lots of bum cream to try and help her feel better while i rewash all the dipes.

do i have to do a major stripping thing or just extra rinse, wash and extra rinse to wash out the CC??
Will be around from time to time
import_the_best is offline   Reply With Quote