Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Re: Splenda??

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinewith4 View Post
Splenda I thought was sugar- they say its sugar....
It's chemically altered sugar. Our bodies know how to handle natural sugar, they don't know how to handle sugar substitutes.

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 12:08 PM   #12
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

hmm, well I try to stay away from any and all artificial sweeteners. Just doesn't make sense to me to put something "fake" into you.

could you maybe just decrease the sugar in the recipe?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #13
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
And why on Earth someone would want to consume Chlorine is beyond me. I would not call that natural, but that's just my
I try to stay away from fake or chemically altered sugars.
If you want to try to cut sugar, I would def recommend natural sweetners, such as stevia or honey (honey doesn't require insulin because it is a diff form of sugar. I have heard and seen the agave nectar, but I haven't honestly researched it, maybe someone else can chime in? I also believe pure maple syrup is better for you than sugar. As for recipes, I second the organic raw sugar (less refined = less sugar high = less sugar dependance). Or try finding recipes using natural sweetners instead? Not sure how hard that would be though.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #14
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I made my cookies with Stevia today. They're really good! Although it was kinda hard b/c you're supposed to "cream" the sugar and butter, but there was hardly any Stevia where there would've been a ton of sugar! lol But they still taste just fine. YAY!!! I wish somebody would've told me about this earlier! I was telling DH and we're going to try and just use it from now on. (We're huge koolaid and sweet tea drinkers, so we go through a LOT of sugar and I've been looking for something better forever!).
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #15
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Well, I made my cookies with Stevia today. They're really good! Although it was kinda hard b/c you're supposed to "cream" the sugar and butter, but there was hardly any Stevia where there would've been a ton of sugar! lol But they still taste just fine. YAY!!! I wish somebody would've told me about this earlier! I was telling DH and we're going to try and just use it from now on. (We're huge koolaid and sweet tea drinkers, so we go through a LOT of sugar and I've been looking for something better forever!).
Please post the recipe, I would love some no-sugar cookies!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:04 PM   #16
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and where did you find the stevia? I was looking in my local grocery store and they didn't have any last time I went.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #17
CheapMom2B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: Splenda??

There was a report on the local news about a month ago about how here in Canada there is a push to take Splenda off the market because it causes all sorts of health problems. They pointed out the "crap" about "it being made from sugar" is big bunk - yes its made from sugar but that does not mean it is safe! Think about it! You can take sugar and process it in a way, along with chemicals, whatever you want... that does not mean it is safe because "it is made from sugar". Give me a break, do we believe everything we are told? I don't eat the stuff because I think natural is best.

CheapMom2B
CheapMom2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #18
CheapMom2B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For those who like foods low on the glycemic index, have you tried Agave nectar? I am just looking into it as my SIL uses it, but it seems promising so far.

CheapMom2B
CheapMom2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #19
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkismama View Post

Quote:
Oh, and where did you find the stevia? I was looking in my local grocery store and they didn't have any last time I went.
I get mine at wal-mart (in packets) and at my local health food store (in liquid form).
Old 11-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #20
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
The recipe is here. The Stevia I bought I got from Good Food's and it was like, $10 for a container of the white powder. 2 tbls is equal to a cup of sugar, so that's all that I needed for them. (And the recipe says it makes 6 doz cookies, but my cookies must be HUGE because it only made about 28). Then again, I ran out of regular oatmeal and ended up having to use 2 cups of steel cut, so that may have made a difference in how many it made, too.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote