Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
MrsGoose
Registered Users

Afraid of PF's!!

Everyone says they love these, so i know they can't be that bad... but How did you learn to do them?!? Why do you all love them so much?? Please help! I am looking right now at building a NB stash (due in July) and just for a small stash of NB dipes it seems it might be quite pricey... So, teach me diaper godesses, about how to find the love for PFs!

Advertisement

MrsGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:
Re: Afraid of PF's!!

Congrats on the upcoming arrival.

First - I've been cloth diapering since September 2007. I started out with AIOs and pockets, then moved to fitteds... and had a pretty good mixture of the them for awhile.

Then, when my daughter was 15 months old, I decided to try prefolds. I LOVE them and I'm kicking myself for not trying sooner! It took me a couple of days to figure out the folds (I watched a lot of tutorials and read a lot about the folds and stuff), but once I figured it all out... it's been great. I primarily use a snappi, but will occasionally use pins.

My suggestion would be to look for tutorials... ask A LOT of questions, if you're unsure and practice, practice, practice.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Spindle Spun
Spindle Spun - Handspun Goodness
Formerly: iamslh
seller

My Mood:

I've been practising, a lot, on my daughter's dolls I know, seems silly, but I know I'm not the only one who has done it! The only thing I can't seem to get the hang of is pins, but I figure I'll need to do a lot of that practising when baby actually gets here!

Funny thing is, I hear about how hubby's won't do prefolds, but I think my husband is better at folding than I am!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
MrsGoose
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equivocal View Post
Congrats on the upcoming arrival.

First - I've been cloth diapering since September 2007. I started out with AIOs and pockets, then moved to fitteds... and had a pretty good mixture of the them for awhile.

Then, when my daughter was 15 months old, I decided to try prefolds. I LOVE them and I'm kicking myself for not trying sooner! It took me a couple of days to figure out the folds (I watched a lot of tutorials and read a lot about the folds and stuff), but once I figured it all out... it's been great. I primarily use a snappi, but will occasionally use pins.

My suggestion would be to look for tutorials... ask A LOT of questions, if you're unsure and practice, practice, practice.
Like, tutorials on youtube? or what?? And practice on my teddy bears? LOL!?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
G&SMomma
Registered Users
seller

When our first came along, pf's were the only thing within our budget, so I had no choice at the time. I practiced on a few stuffed animals before he was born and got it down pat w. in a few days after he was here practicing on him. The jelly roll fold is fantastic at holding in the newborn poo With my second, I was fortunate to have the funds to play around with a prettier stash, but I find myself going back to our plain old prefolds more often than not. They're so easy to take care of. I invested in a small collection of one size pockets for going out/naps/nightime/etc., but I hardly ever use them. Good luck!

Hyena Cart
Etsy
G&SMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

There's several tutorials on this site, some on GMD (Green Mountain Diapers) site

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...37#post1009937

http://www.weebunzdiapers.com/How_to_fold_diapers.php

http://diaperpages.com/pf_folds.php

http://positively-posh.com/blog/cate...s-better-fold/

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=173216

Last edited by MW69842; 01-19-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
MommyToNoah
Registered Users
seller

Well, I learned growing up It may seem scary at first, but it really is easy and I think the most practical, especially with itty bitty's. It was all I used to the first 6 months and now I have a few other things in my stash, but PFs are the easiest to care for and I normally only use the others (fitteds/AIOs) when we are going out.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
MrsGoose
Registered Users

Thank you!! i am definitely intimated by that you tube video! but i may buy a few to try them out!!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
mamajuliana
Registered Users

My Mood:

i have you tubed a lot of instructions for everything...baby wearing, cloth diapering, hypno birthing I love youtube
mamajuliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGoose View Post
Thank you!! i am definitely intimated by that you tube video! but i may buy a few to try them out!!
I think they're so easy... and I find the folding to be fun.

I really like that I don't have to worry about elastics or snaps or velcro... or any of that. I usually just put a prefold on my daughter, then put a cover over it ...sometimes I don't use a cover and when I don't, I put the snappi in the back, so she won't play with it and so it won't get snagged on things while she's climbing.

I still use pocket diapers and all-in-ones (for daycare primarily and going out), but I don't use fitteds at all anymore.