Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #11
lutgen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Whats bedtime like for your around 1 year old?

We just went through this in my ECFE class - we were using a model of the book Sleepless in America by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka, M.A.,

(Mary Sheedy Kurcinka has more than twenty years of experience as an award-winning educator and is the bestselling author of Raising Your Spirited Child and Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles.)

The thing that is sticking out to me in your schedule is that 30-45 minute naps at 4:00 - I totally understand that you think she needs it - but one of the things that she talked about was a nap that begins after 3PM can unknowing interrupt the body's natural sleep rhythm. If she goes down by 10:30 for the AM nap - you could *try* a few things.

Put her down for her 2nd nap by 2:30 or 3:00 - if you miss it - try and wait until 7:00 for bedtime - start the bedtime routine by 6:30... this will be a total adjustment in your schedule...

OR perhaps she is ready for one nap. Could you attempt to push back that morning nap by 15 minutes each day until she is sleeping from 11:30 - 2:30? Then she would be getting the same amount of sleep - but within one nap.... then you once again need to start the bedtime routine earlier....

Here is a neat thing to work with.
http://sleeplessinamerica.org/SleepDiaryChart.pdf

Advertisement

lutgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure I can help, my dd loves nite nite time, never cries, or fusses. Our routine is, Change diaper, put on pj's, brush teeth and wash face (every other night we take a bath), Tell Dada nitenite, by waving and blowing kisses. Then we read a nite nite book (usually Snoozers, or I Love You Through and Through) then she nurses and promptly falls asleep. I've never had much trouble with her sleeping, only when she's sick (which is very rare) or overly tired, she'll fuss a tiny bit. But she's slept through most of the night since we brought her home from the hospital.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #13
thetoolmaster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS is 17 mos old now - but around the age of your DD he was already starting to change his nap schedule, and transitioned to 1 nap by the time he was about a year old (I was freaking out about it at the time, but it actually turned out to be a good thing b/c he has napped better and longer since dropping 1 nap!). I agree with the pp who recommended either eliminating the 4PM nap or moving it up earlier in the day. Even now, if my DS naps past about 2/2:30 pm, I know we're in for a late(r) night. It really sounds like your DD is just not tired at bedtime. If you miss the early afternoon window for her 2nd nap, skip the PM nap entirely and just try to have some quiet time w/her when she starts to seem fussy and tired, and put her to bed earlier in the evening.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by thetoolmaster; 11-21-2006 at 10:03 AM.
thetoolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #14
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is horrible an option??!!!

She will hit, kick, bite, scream, cry when I try to put her to bed most of the time. Just the other night, she kicked my knee so hard that it went out of joint! I also have bite marks from her.

I get home around 6 pm and we eat and play until around 7:15 and then she takes a bath, and then I get her out and dress her and maybe read a book or something, and then it is into bed to nurse. It usually takes me about 30-45 minutes to get her to sleep then.

And then she is usually up again around 12 am and I have to go sleep with her then in her bed. I am so tired of it....

She is 18 months old.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #15
lutgen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what time does she get up in the morning?
What is her nap schedule like?

I hate to say it - but you may not get that playtime in right now. I worked outside of the home full time until my 1st was 3 and my 2nd was 1 -- I understand wanting to keep them up AND I understand they want mommy time.... but you may need to not get that for a little while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanadaydreamin View Post
Is horrible an option??!!!

She will hit, kick, bite, scream, cry when I try to put her to bed most of the time. Just the other night, she kicked my knee so hard that it went out of joint! I also have bite marks from her.

I get home around 6 pm and we eat and play until around 7:15 and then she takes a bath, and then I get her out and dress her and maybe read a book or something, and then it is into bed to nurse. It usually takes me about 30-45 minutes to get her to sleep then.

And then she is usually up again around 12 am and I have to go sleep with her then in her bed. I am so tired of it....

She is 18 months old.
lutgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #16
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have no set bedtime (ds is 18months) he goes to sleep when hes ready And we have no reasons to change it right now, so we leave him be, hes a happier baby most of the time when we let him go to sleep when hes ready and get up when hes ready.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:45 AM   #17
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is five days older than yours. He's never really been a pain to get to bed. When he's tired he goes right down if he's not he sits straight up (I don't try to get him to sleep when he's not tired). I can tell he's sleepy because he fusses a little and rubs his eyes. From there I make him a bottle and turn the lights off and put the DVD Baby Einstein on and we watch it until he's done with his bottle. Then I rock him in his room for about 2 minutes until he stiffens up (which means he wants to ly down in his crib) I shut the door and walk out. He is addicted to the binky which means I'm up through out the night putting it back into his mouth and searching the crib and floor for it, but he goes right back to sleep after that.

P.S. He normally goes to bed around 8. Last night he went to sleep at 6:30 because his nap got interrupted, sometimes (rarely) it's 9pm.

ETA:
I forgot to mention my son only gets ONE nap. Around 1130 because that's when daycare gives it to him and he's in that schedule. He sleeps until 2:30 or 3. It works out better than if he takes two, he's less cranky with one nap than two.

Last edited by marelle4381; 11-21-2006 at 10:52 AM.
marelle4381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #18
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

The last nap is optional, she only gets it when she is about to pass out. DD seems to need lots of sleep and sometimes I cannot keep her from falling asleep in the afternoon. I do think she is in that stage where she could go to just one nap most days, but I don't know how to push her first nap because by the time she takes it she's already fussy and tired. We did try to let her set her own schedule, but she seemed to be on a 20 hour schedule and we ended up sleeping during the day and playing at all hours of the night. She also never wanted to sleep more than a 5 hour stretch. I never imagined that she would be hard to get to sleep. When she was born they diagnosed her as a sleepy baby, she could even sleep through a bath for the first 3 weeks after she was born.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #19
ce&E
Registered Users

My ds just turned 1 and bedtime (and naps) are hard for him too. He no longer falls asleep nursing and it seems like we can wear him for hours sometimes and still no sleep. We've tried just about everything and have read the No-Cry Sleep Solution and Sleepless in America and while I liked them both and appreciated their caring tone they haven't been much help to us. We recently switched bathtime to immediately following dinner and then some wind down playtime and this does seems to be helping some as our ds also started screaming immediately following tubtime knowing what was coming so you might try that. I think so much of this is temperment but I know that is not helpful solution. I just want to scream though when people, trying to be helpful, say things like "just put him down sleepy but awake" Like that idea never crossed my mind, it just doesn't work for my ds nor does cry it out. Once he screamed on a car trip that I had to take by myself for 4 hours straight without falling asleep! Noone should have to go through that kind of screaming at night (or ever!) Good luck and check out those books you might find some kernel of help that will work for your dd.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #20
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I dont know what I have done but my 15 month old has been the easiest baby to get in the bed! She used to cosleep with us and would get up several times a night and would whine and didn't want to go to sleep. Then one night I just laid her in her crib and BOOM, asleep all on her own with NO crying! So now, she gets a bottle (something I GOT to stop asap) and I snuggle with her while she gets that bottle, then we all kiss her good night and say we love her, I go tuck her in her crib, give her her teddy bear and her blanket and thats it. She snuggles in and goes to sleep.. Its amazing, no crying or anything! Now, if we are out at my mothers or anywhere else she gives me a FIT, because she wants HER bed. My other two children, I had to rock to sleep for the longest time, I know way over 2 yrs old!!