Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:
why are some not supportive at all??????????

my sister is all for nursing babies....but makes comments like "if your mommy would give you bottles...." stuff like that a lot. and has made the comment before that once he has teeth i'll be singing a different tune to nursing to a year. then the other day i was at her house and brighton bit me (new "fun" thing to do apparently, no teeth yet but i think he has been teething..) and i said ouch and took him off, covered my boob and told him no. put him back on shortly later...after about 5 mins he bit me again and we repeated the process. her response to that is "i bet you won't be nursing that one as long as the other two" , i didn't even make it to a year w/my first two for other reason, but this time i really want to. i'd just really like support from my family other than my dh....is that really too much to ask? and no NOBODY in my family is supporting the 1 year decision, they all think it's great that i'm nursing him now but think i'm nuts for wanting to nurse to a full year....

i just don't get it!!! the biteing issue is like anything else you don't want a kid to do...you just have to teach them not to.

Advertisement

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: why are some not supportive at all??????????

Sorry you're not getting the support you need

Sometimes you have to just ignore the comments because you know that you are doing your best for your baby. There will always be someone offering unwanted advice on some aspect of parenting.

We support you!!
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe she thinks she's just teasing you and messing around? Maybe if you sit her down and tell her how much it means to you and how you really need the support she shut her mouth. I don't think she really wants to hurt you, her being your sister and all. I mean, I don't know you guys or anything, but just my
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

My family made those comments too. Same as yours and they were supportive of me nursing until dd was 6 month and then according to them I need to go and get a shot to dry my milk up so I wouldn't have to do that anymore. Now that dd is almost 11 months every one says don't you think it's time to wean her, isn't she getting a little to old for that, aren't you tied of being tied to her yet, you're not going to nurse her until she's in preschool are you, and well you get the picture. My dh is the only one who is supportive of it and wants me to try for two years, with out him I probably wouldn't have even tried to bf. Sorry for rambling, I know where you are coming from and wish people would just mind there own business. Good for you for sticking with it and doing whats best for your ds.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
thetoolmaster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry you don't feel support from your family - at least you can come here! You probably already know that "gumming" while nursing is pretty common once the teething starts, I went through that w/DS and it does pass. What I was advised to do was the opposite of instinct - instead of pulling him off the breast, I pulled him closer to the breast (while trying desperately not to react!). It blocks their nose so they can't breathe while nursing, so they unlatch themselves. And it helps them realize that 'biting' doesn't provide any real satisfaction so they're less likely to continue.

Anyway, my DS is 17 mos old now and still nursing - and he's got 13 teeth and does NOT bite! (think of it like drinking from a straw - biting the straw won't get you what you want, lol) IMO, it actually gets EASIER to nurse them as they get older b/c they don't nurse as frequently or as long at each session. DS is too "busy" to nurse anymore other than at naptime/bedtime or for comfort after "owies", and even then it's only for about 5 minutes (and on only one side, he's completely lost interest in the other boobie, lol!)

Just thought I'd offer some hope for the future!!!!!

Last edited by thetoolmaster; 11-21-2006 at 10:31 AM.
thetoolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont have a support family. When I went past a year w/ DS I got all kinds of comments. When he weaned (to early IMO) I was sad. Im not going to let people do that to me this time. From the start I said we would be nursing ATLEAST 2 years end of story. Its what is recommened its what I am doing
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the same problem. My MIL is the ONLY person in my family that nursed AT ALL and she had to stop at 6 weeks to go back to work. So while she is supportive of breastfeeding, every once and awhile she'll just look at me, shake her head, and make a comment about how she can't imagine doing that for 2 years. SIL thinks it's GROSS. My parents made me go into the basement to feed DS when we were staying with them when he was less than a month old. DH is practically the ONLY support that I have, and he's constantly telling me that I'd better not die, because he'd have no idea how to take care of DS without him being able to nurse. lol
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
Tasha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry that your family isn't as supportive as you need them to be. I've been lucky that my family is very supportive of nursing, even to the point of giving my sister a hard time for not nursing longer! But I think they look at it more from the bonding aspect than from the nutrional aspect. Come here whenever you need support.
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks mamas

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally understand!!! My in-laws were horrified that I was bfing and would constantly tell me that I dont' have enough milk to feed my baby and that I was starving her and that I should let them give a bottle to her. In all honesty, if it weren't for the fact that dd kept spitting out the bottle nipple, I probably would have given up.

Keep it up mama! You can do it!! dd self-weaned at 19 mo...I bf'd her as long as possible and to this day she hardly ever gets sick. (Ironically, she's really sick today!)
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote