Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
ASmithBerry
Registered Users

My Mood:
weight loss while breast feeding...

When is it a good idea to start with a diet?

I am a first time mom and i am EBFing and I don't want to do anything to mess up supply... my son is three weeks old and I would like to start getting some of this weight off of me! but I wasn't sure if there is like a certain amount of time you should wait before taking on a diet!!

TIA

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: weight loss while breast feeding...

Personally, I'd wait until around 6 mos. I've heard of people starting sooner and I don't think there is anything wrong with it (although I'd say 6 wks is the earliest to start), but in my experience, all the baby weight has come off with minimal effort for me by 6 mos. Remember that at 3 wks, your uterus has not even had time to completely return to its normal size yet. Your body needs time to adjust. Be patient and kind to yourself.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
JicJac
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, I'd wait until at a minimum 6 months when baby may be starting on solids. You can certainly watch what you eat and eat wisely before then, but you need the extra calories to breastfeed & to make enough milk for your baby! I know you are anxious to get the weight off... but if breastfeeding is important to you, you need to hold off. The weight may come off naturally with the breastfeeding. A good rule of thumb is if you are hungry, eat! Make sure to keep your fluids up!
JicJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

thx for this thread. I "started" at about 6 wks but I've really been unable to do anything about the weight. I'm always hungry. Therefore I'm always eating. I'm pretty close to pre baby #2 weight and DD's now 4 mths. With my DS I wasn't able to lose much until he started on solids either. So it's good to know that its ok to take it slow.
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Goinatural
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd recommend just eating when you feel hungry, You're body knows what you need. Don't go hungry of course because you're body needs the energy to make your milk and keep your milk supply up, but if you loose a little bit of weight it probably won't be a big deal but a big weight loss could def effect your supply.
Goinatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
jwpsgurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I wouldn't "diet" at all. Try eating lots of fruits and veggies. Eat balanced meals with a whole grain, lean protein, and fruit or veggie at every meal and just try to eat a few hundred less calories than you burn each day. The best way to accomplish this way of eating is to start a food journal and write down everything you eat. Try to eat foods that give you the most nutrition per quantity eaten like nuts, low-fat dairy, eggs, and chicken breast. There is nothing wrong with having a few treat in moderation Good Luck!
jwpsgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
VioletsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started back on Weight Watchers at about 6 weeks pp. I have never had a supply issue, and I am down 54lbs since giving birth (I gained 24lbs while pg, but was overweight when I got pg)

Basically you still need to get your extra 500 calories a day - on weight watchers you get 10 extra points a day.
VioletsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Mom of Sasha and Oisin
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm a certified fitness instructor. I teach Mommy and Me and Stroller Fitness classes three times a week. I get moms with babies of all ages that come to class.
So here is what I suggest. Your body needs to recover from labor and delivery. If you start exercising too early you might have extended bleeding and your body isn't ready for it. Don't attempt to Diet because your body needs all the calories right now to produce milk.
You burn around 500 calories a day just nursing, that's like an hour on a treadmill. So you are getting a workout after all.
The best thing you can do for your body is eat lots of healthy food, plenty of fluids and rest your body. You have a lot of time in the future to work on dropping pounds.
The best exercise to start with is walking. Put your baby in a carrier and go for a stroll. Walking is a great exercise, but not too much too soon either.
If you have any other questions you can always contact me.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #9
kmdchuckles
Registered Users
seller

ditto to all that is said. relax you will get there, just stay healthy, eat healthy and nutritious foods, and you'll get there.

Crunchy granola christian momma to one chunky monkey (4/06) and one sweet peanut (9/08) and wife to one loving, cooking, diaper changing saint to have married me!
kmdchuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
malacehinja
Registered Users

My Mood:

Most likely you won't even have to diet...you burn so many calories while breastfeeding and you are always running around with your LO..I'm always eating and I weigh less than before I got pregnant, plus I lost all the pregnancy weight in less than 8 weeks after delivery. I wouldn't worry about the weight, just enjoy your bundle of joy!
malacehinja is offline   Reply With Quote