Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
moley
Registered Users

constipation help for mom

Hi
I recently had my third son (Christmas day). BFing is going great but the bowel movements on my end.... not so great What do you moms do??? Has any one else suffered from this??? I had this with my other two boys as well.
thanks for the help

Advertisement

moley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
rkjmom3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: constipation help for mom

After I had my last baby I has horrendous pains, I thought I was dying and thought the nurse was crazy when she suggested a glass of cold prune juice and some motrin. But it did help. I always kept taking my stool softeners after each baby and TRIED to remember to drink a lot of fluids. The more kids I have the less I remember to drink non-caffeinated beverages.

Another thing that helps is ground flaxseed (a natural laxitive). You can find this in your natural food section at the grocery or in the baking area. Start with 1 tsp per day...in applesauce, yogurt, or whatever (I like the applesauce best). You can work up to 1 Tbsp per day all at once or split 1tsp 3xper day. BUT do it gradually and drink lots of water or you will make your problems worse!

When all else fails try 4 oz of prune juice per day or munch on some whole prunes. Besides the hormones and damage to your body parts from childbirth, we tend to forget to eat healthy fiber rich foods (fruits and vegetable and whole grains) and drink water after having a baby. At least I did, I would just eat whatever was handy as I tried to focus on survival and staying awake. I could go on...I am a dietitian so I have lots to say on this topic...
Old 01-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
moley
Registered Users

I think remembering to drink water is a huge problem with me.... I try and will continue to try to get as much in... I am worried about the effect increase fiber will have on my baby - or does increasing fiber in the diet not effect him???
Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
rkjmom3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Increasing fiber will not affect baby....prunes and flax may have a mild affect on baby. BUT if you increase the fiber you HAVE to increase the water!! Try benefiber or I think the other one is fibersource or something...just mix according to directions with juice or something. That also helped me a lot. Pharmacy department.

Of course fruits and vegetables are good for both of you. Whole grain bread and whole grain pastas. There are so many good ones to choose from these days!

Taking a stool softener never seemed to affect baby...colace is a brand name they gave to me when leaving the hospital.

Flax seed just 1 tsp a day should be okay as well. It has SOOOO many good things like Omega-3s in it that is good for you and baby!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Drink drink drink water! I wasn't drinking enough and it was so uncomfortable... I started drinking like 8-10 glasses of water a day and it went away.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
mlandorf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

fiber one bars or kashi bars - i couldn't stand the thought of citrucel/metamucil etc...but 1 bar is about 4 grams of fiber and drink....also, minute maid has a white grape apple juice (box) it got things moving
also, if nothing is working, you can use a warm water enema (i bought a generic fleet's enema, dumped the medicine and used the bottle for warm water. And, if you need medicine, colace (stool softener), miralax and glycerice suppositories are all safe for bf.
mlandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
moley
Registered Users

Thanks for all the advice... I did not no that I had to drink more when I increase the fiber in take... Thanks alot. It is nice to know that I am not the only one that suffers with this
Old 01-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Mockeh
Registered Users

When you're nursing, you need to drink more water! It's also great for your milk supply too
Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
spunky_hsmom
Registered Users

Definitely increase your fluid intake. You can drink alfalfa tea & red raspberry tea. I buy the herbs in bulk & make tea that way. They are great for your milk supply & alfalfa is good for relieving constipation. They make tablets you can swallow if you don't want to drink the tea. I am 37 1/2 weeks pregnant & have taken the peri-colace tablets to help with constipation. The alfalfa works the best.

Feel free to pm me if you have more questions. Good luck.
Shelley
spunky_hsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
isra1986
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had this problem (It was 3 weeks after giving birthbefore I could go #2, It HURT worse than labor!) I had no clue these problems happen after birth.
I drank lots of water, took the chewable fiber caplets everyday, 3 times a day. It helped LOTS and it took about 8 months before I became "regular"