Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nursing and Growth Spurts and Teething, Oh My!

DD's is not an easy baby to put it mildly. She is SOOO sensitive to noise, and anything that wakens her - she has to be changed, pottied (we EC) and nursed back to sleep. During growth spurts this can be an all-nighter since she has to be changed whenever she is wet.

Here's her schedule - has been since she was just a month or so old- now she is on solids (this is not a growth spurt - this is all the time!!!)

7:30 or 8:00 - wake/nurse/cereal
9:30 - nurse/nap
11:30- wake/nurse
12:00 lunch
2:15- nurse/ nap
4:00 - wake/nurse
5:30 - dinner
7:00 - nurse
7:30/8 rock w/ Daddy
9:15 wake/change/nurse/rock
10:30 wake/change/nurse/rock

now she's hit the 6-month growth spurt so it's even more nursing of course!

nightime:
6:30 bath
7:00 nurse/rock
8:15 - wake/ potty/ nurse
8:30 change/nurse
9:45 change/nurse (still wide awake!)
etc...
last night she woke at 12:30 3:30, 7:30am. Co-sleeping/nursing is pointless because she has to be changed so often anyway. She was like this since birth. I feel like I want my life back - is it selfish for me to say this? DH says we just had to CIO with the other 2 at a certain point. I dont think i can do that - he is telling me that is what it is going to take. But this baby, she would cry hysterically, I know and it woudl just end up being a feeding time again and I would end up nursing back to sleep - so what is the point of even trying CIO??

Definitely a high needs baby??? or is this normal.

Advertisement

Last edited by vintagegyrl; 01-26-2009 at 08:14 PM.
vintagegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nursing and Growth Spurts and Teething, Oh My!

that sounds like my DD .. she nursed that often until 12 months.. we co-slept and i stopped changing her at night early on.. didn't CD until 13 months.. can you use disposables at night to stop he changing at night? that could just make such a huge difference for you right now if you could eliminate one thing when she wakes at night is she awake? or does she just nurse right back to sleep? what happens if you don't change her and just nurse before she realizes whats giong on? .. my DD would not have done CIO .. she would have cried forever.. even now, she is almost 3 and if she wakes up in the night crying and i don't make an effort to make her stop (sometimes she wil jsut keep crying even with me there) she will throw up .. the one and only time i left her in her room to cry in the night (she was throwing a fit more than anything and she was 2.5) she threw up every bit of her dinner allllll over her bed.. it was horrible.. and reminded me that different kids have different needs and she can't do CIO ..
Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At least im not alone... LOL
She started out in sposies, that was how we moved to CD. I did part time CD wtih baby #2, but i didnt know enough to continue when we had pitfalls, anyway, so we didnt plan to CD DD, but she would cry to be changed SO often that it was a no-brainer to move to cloth. im going to get some super-inserts, but most of the time, even if she is just slightly wet, she will *want* to be changed, She wont go back down wet. Usually - but now that she is older i might keep trying. She just woke now, but went back to sleep when I rocked her - that was a first. We also have a new puppy that is barking in his pen right now, but im pretty sure she can;t hear it up there. We run a fountain that also plays wind chimes and also a loud humidifier when she is sleeping. 3 noise makers help drown out my noisy boys during the day, and a barking dog at night. whew!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
laine
Registered Users
seller

Hugs mama!!!!!!!!!

My 7mo isn't quite that ...needy? But she has been awfully fussy -- she has fought naptime FIERCELY for the last three days. I would HAPPILY nurse her all day if she would just be happy!

She doesn't want to nurse, play on the floor (she crawls now!), play in her walker, or sleep.

Those top teeth are getting ready to come in, so I can't wait!!

Need play_yard_or_co_sleeper_sheets ? Come visit my store, Cradle and All!
Standard, Travel Lite, Tot Block Sizes, Original Arms Reach, and Mini Arms Reach! Happy to work with your custom size, as well.
laine is offline   Reply With Quote