Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
slingmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you take ALL your kids to the grocery store?

I am a SAHM to 4, almost 5. We homeschool, so that means they are always with me no matter what needs to be done or where I need to go. I've always taken them all to the store to grocery shop and of coarse we get the stares (especially bc I'm pregnant a~g~a~i~n). My oldest is 11 and is very helpful in the store. We usually have two baskets so we draw attention to ourselves anyways. I was just thinking about when I take 5 to the store--it should be fun to get the stares. Oh, and if we go during the day (school hours) everyone wants to ask them if today's a school holiday or why they arn't in school. "I reply we HS and this is Math today." (which truthfully it is bc I have them estimate, add, and round as we put things in the basket. Plus, they figure out how much tax will be added. LO's weigh fruit and get the exact amount mommy needs (2lbs.,etc..) and we all high five when ouir end estimate, plus tax is correct. Lots of looks then.

I try not to go when DH is home bc I want to spend that time with him, not hours at the store and we live 5 hours away from family, so that's never an option for us.

I'm not complaining about taking them, just curious if I'm the only one who grocery shops regularly with all her kids in tow?

How many kids do you take with you to the grocery store?

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
athomeangela
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do you take ALL your kids to the grocery store?

Well, I only have 3 boys so far, so I do frequently take them all to the store with me. We are homeschooling too, although my oldest is only 5. I think shopping with the kids provides valuable lessons about money and budgeting (and math!). My older two boys already understand about the importance of price and a good deal. Don't worry about the all the looks.
Cake decorating, baking, second generation homeschooling gal married to my for 6.5 years. Busy mom to 3 boys: C - 11/03, J - 5/05 and A - 5/08 and three angel babies 8/06 at 14 weeks, 2/07 at 18 weeks and 6/9/09 at 13 weeks . since 2.5 months with boy #3!
athomeangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always take all 4, ages 6 and under. We at least get the "you have your hands full" comment once, usually several times. It is good to take them I think and have them learn to be bargain hunters. We were in the grocery store one time and my 6 year old asked for something and I said no, not today and she said "oh, right, it doesn't have a red price sticker." LOL, sale items always have the sale price on a red sticker under the regular price sticker.
Elizabeth~ Jesus loving wife to myNathan, Mama to God's blessings Jayna-11, Quaid-9, Roanen-7, Avelyn Faith-5, Conlan-2 and 2 precious ones, Victory (10-2010) and Treasure (4-2013), in the arms of Jesus. Expecting a little rainbow blessing late Aug/early Sep Doing a lot of this to get ready! My ISO/IHA
mamatoblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I take my 4 with me almost all the time. I also don't like to go when hubby is home.

I really have a hard time the few times when my oldest DS doesn't go with me. He pushes the second grocery cart and loads the items onto the checkout counter. He also puts all the bags into the cart and then into the van. He's my hero!

I coupon a LOT so the children have learned to be very patient and make sure to bring along the home-wrapped snacks. My kids also make funny comments like, "Daddy, look what Mom got you for free!" Or they have been heard to say, "Look what they paid Mommy to take out of the store." That's fun to hear.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Hitchkids
Registered Users

If I have to, I will take them all. But I do my best now to plan my bigger trips on a weekend when DH is home to stay with the kids. The bigger trips end up being trips with multiple stops and by the end of it, we are all worn out. So once a month or so I will plan a larger trip and leave most of the kids at home and take a break for me. I will stop somewhere for lunch or throw in a trip to the library. DH will usually request that one or two children go with me depending on what his plans are while I'm gone but I often come home to a nearly spotless house and a few minor repairs having been completed. Or if I take the youngest with me, he'll take the rest of the kids out to play in the snow all day. When I only had 4 or 5, yes, I took them everywhere. Now that we are expecting number 8 and my husband has a job where he is actually able to be home on a regular basis, this is my way of getting a little bit of me time.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

I have a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a 13 month old and am hugely pregnant with number 4...we get a lot of stares because we often go to the grocery store by ourselves too....I prefer to spend time at home with DH and we spend less money that way .

Now that I am getting further along though in the pregnancy and my DH is laid off, we are doing the shopping together.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I only have 3 (so far ) but I do ALL of my shopping with them. DH works nights and sleeps during the day so if I go anywhere they are ALWAYS with me.
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
Sam25!
Registered Users
seller

I have four, and I almost always never go to a store alone. My aunt and I usually go together. I have one cart for kids and one for groceries. It is just easier and faster if I have someone go with me. Especially with an 8 mos old and two year twins.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
lindsey.leanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Unless I am just going for a few quick things or my dh is going I don't take my twin boys. I generally need to use the stroller and I can't lug a stroller and a cart on my own. Once they are old enough to be in the cart....then I wouldn't mind taking them along.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
Roseplummer
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have 3 of my own and often have an extra that I watch so most of the time I have 4 children with me. We tend to shop at the same places though and know everyone so we don't get to many comments. We won't be going as often once the new baby comes though cause I can't fit that many carseats in my car and I have to watch the little one a lot. We will have to work around going on the 1 or 2 days I don't have the extra one so that we can all fit in the car.