View Poll Results: Large Family = HSing???
I have 4-5 and HS 30 41.10%
I have 6-7 and HS 8 10.96%
I have 8-9 and HS 4 5.48%
I have 9-10 and HS 0 0%
I have 10+ and HS 0 0%
I have many and DO NOT homeschool 31 42.47%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Large Family= HSing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlsdMama View Post
Re-frame the idea behind the question and you'll get a very clear view as to why that is... People who tend to allow God to control an area as frightening as family size, tend to be the ones who also have strong beliefs that they want to pass onto their children and so they homeschool. It really does go with the territory as very few people who are not deeply faithful will have 6-10 children these days. We had our eighth last year and we do homeschool.
You make it sound as if a person/couple who does not have 6-10 children *cannot* (does/do not have the capacity) to be "deeply faithful". I also read your post to imply those who don't homeschool do not have "strong beliefs".

Honestly, I hope someday the homeschool/non-homeschool communities can be more compassionate and caring toward each other. I really admire families who homeschool.

Advertisement

There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

I think homeschooling is a personal decision aside from the size of your family, and for me, it would be done if I felt our school district were lacking which I haven't yet.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #13
Blue Zoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are about to have # 6 & don't homeschool.

I have many friends with large families who homeschool who are not religious at all.
Blue Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have three, four in August, and we do not homeschool. I'm a public school teacher and love the schooling choices in our district so homeschool is not an option for our family. Before I got married I knew I wanted a very large family and never considered homeschooling (my mom is a public school teacher also and I had a great public school experience and wanted that for my own children).
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
hockeywoman
Registered Users
seller

We choose not to homeschool at this point. We moved to this part of the city due to the schools, and have been very impressed with the elementary school my oldest are at. I grew up with a lot of family who were public school teachers, and think there are a lot of benefits to having children in school, though I understand why some families choose to homeschool. I wish that those who homeschool could understand that it is just not an option for all families, and those who send kids to public/private school could respect homeschooling families. Really, I don't think we're all that different!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #16
12stars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlsdMama View Post
Re-frame the idea behind the question and you'll get a very clear view as to why that is... People who tend to allow God to control an area as frightening as family size, tend to be the ones who also have strong beliefs that they want to pass onto their children and so they homeschool. It really does go with the territory as very few people who are not deeply faithful will have 6-10 children these days. We had our eighth last year and we do homeschool.
I agree with you mama.
We have 5 currently and we HS because it is something that God put in our hearts. It was not always so. Our schools are not bad but they are not great either and we felt the need to deepen our faith and live it out also. When my dds were in ps I felt as though they were gone all day and it left us with hardly any time for each other. I speak for myself, but I see what you are saying, we know quite a few families that have many dc and hs. On the other hand all the families we know that have dc in ps are small families 1-3 tops.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:25 AM   #17
slingmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stars View Post
I agree with you mama.
We have 5 currently and we HS because it is something that God put in our hearts. It was not always so. Our schools are not bad but they are not great either and we felt the need to deepen our faith and live it out also. When my dds were in ps I felt as though they were gone all day and it left us with hardly any time for each other. I speak for myself, but I see what you are saying, we know quite a few families that have many dc and hs. On the other hand all the families we know that have dc in ps are small families 1-3 tops.
Same here.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #18
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well we only have 3 (so far) but hope for more. We will homeschool, my DD starts in the fall.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #19
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm having #6 in June and we homeschool....currently we have a 4th, 2nd and 1st grader. Next year we will add a preschooler in the crazy mix.
cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
jessica_momof6
Registered Users

My Mood:

when we had only 6 kids, I homeschooled the oldest ones. The year before I got pregnant with our 7th I sent our 3rd child back to school because he needed it. then when I found out we were expecting our 7th, I sent the oldest 2 back to public too. Of course, this was only a year ahead of when we had planned to send them back so it wasn't as big of a deal.
we were only homeschooling because our public schools were not giving them a good enough education. They were far ahead of all the other students and were bored. So we took them out and schooled at home. I had always planned to put them back in junior high because that time is when they would be able to get harder classes. Our family size and homeschooling decision had nothing to do with religion although we are a very religious family.